Jump to content
Pebble thats Stubby

TTNE The Post Apocalyptic Thread That Might End 477

Recommended Posts

On 6/3/2021 at 5:51 PM, Buckwheat said:

No severe side effects this time - aside from a bit of a sore feeling in my upper arm, I feel fine today. Yay! :cheers:

I actually prefer teaching these teenagers (the high-achieving, capable ones - I cannot imagine teaching at some worse school either) than smaller kids.

Yay! Hope you’re still doing great and didn’t experience side effects at all. 
sister’s struggling to reschedule her second shot which she ended up cancelling due to an exam. I can’t grasp the reason why the bureaucracy is so slow, 95% of people (who wanted a vaccine at least) are already vaccinated. How can you take a week to process this request? 

I’m scared of teenagers :leaving: 

15 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

I'm impressed this thread is still not yet dead.  Guess we really can't kill the spam.

Oh it was a lovely surprise to see some old spammers check in! And I suppose the menacing thread title did the trick :lol: 

15 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I have great, wonderful, fabulous news, I just got my new refrigerator delivered!

My old refrigerator died about the second week of January. Because of a combination of Covid-19 problems (workers, shipping containers, backed up ports, etc) and a trade war against China run by Trump, compressor deliveries had slowed down to a trickle to the US. My fridge was supposed to come at the end of March, they sent me an e-mail to pay the balance of my bill, and then I got a phone call telling me the shipment hadn't arrived and they had no delivery date in sight. I had a complicated April so didn't yell and scream at them, but at the start of May I called them up and asked where the devil my fridge was. They said end of May. No fridge. On Wednesday, June 2 I called them up and said, where's the damn fridge! And they said, oh, gee, look we have a fridge, when can we deliver. And here it is! 

After spending 5 months of living out of a mini-fridge, which is slightly taller than a bar fridge with about twice as much freezer space, so from almost nothing to two times almost nothing, I realize I could have lived with a slightly smaller fridge. However, I don't have a freezer, so the freezer space in this fridge is important.

I realize Europeans live with very small fridges but here in Canada we don't grocery shop for fresh food every day, usually just once a week.

Now I need to get the new fridge nice and cold, transfer the stuff from the mini, unplug and clean up the mini, then bring it down to the basement to use as extra storage. I'll probably fill it with cans of soft drinks and bottles of water. Or maybe I will sell it.

:cheers: to the new fridge! This must have been an awfully long and vexing wait. I wouldn’t sell the mini, you never know when you might need it. 

Mum’s fridge is dying too, but she kinda abandoned getting a new one because the roof cost so much and she’s getting dental work done. I suppose she’ll have to give in a get a new one throughout the summer though.

By the way, Europeans don’t grocery shop daily either :ninja: my social circle grocery shops fortnightly, though it’s customary to pop into the grocery store and pick up a couple smaller items, if you run out of something in between larger shopping trips/orders. I’m sure some buy groceries weekly, but it’d be quite unreasonable and unnecessary to shop daily.

 

Summer is here. It’s suffocatingly hot, which is ridiculous since we were still heating two weeks ago. Now it’s 28C outside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’m scared of teenagers :leaving: 

Even if you are, you are not supposed to show it. They smell any weakness. :uhoh: :leaving:

No really, I am just back from the second work Saturday in June because two of the final exams take place on Saturdays and I had to oversee. Mostly it is jut a lot of staring into space, walking up and down the classroom and waiting for them to finish writing.

2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Summer is here. It’s suffocatingly hot, which is ridiculous since we were still heating two weeks ago. Now it’s 28C outside. 

I am glad that it is finally warmer. The cold weather in May was ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Even if you are, you are not supposed to show it. They smell any weakness. :uhoh: :leaving:

No really, I am just back from the second work Saturday in June because two of the final exams take place on Saturdays and I had to oversee. Mostly it is jut a lot of staring into space, walking up and down the classroom and waiting for them to finish writing.

I am glad that it is finally warmer. The cold weather in May was ridiculous.

:lmao: it’s exactly what I’d expect, indeed. 

oh that sucks. Do you get higher pay for working saturdays or it’s something you just have to do as an exception this year? (Here people with regular Monday-Friday work schedules do get 150% pay when they need to work a Saturday, though I’m not sure this extends to an extra final exam day)

yes I’m happy about it too, it was just a sudden change. But I’m certainly happy to be sitting in a park in a summer dress and drinking ice coffee. I haven’t had a takeaway coffee since February. Oh no, I did. One time sister brought a matcha latte to my door in April because she was in the vicinity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

:lmao: it’s exactly what I’d expect, indeed. 

oh that sucks. Do you get higher pay for working saturdays or it’s something you just have to do as an exception this year? (Here people with regular Monday-Friday work schedules do get 150% pay when they need to work a Saturday, though I’m not sure this extends to an extra final exam day)

yes I’m happy about it too, it was just a sudden change. But I’m certainly happy to be sitting in a park in a summer dress and drinking ice coffee. I haven’t had a takeaway coffee since February. Oh no, I did. One time sister brought a matcha latte to my door in April because she was in the vicinity. 

Yeah ... no. :lol: No, it is just a normal part of work. No extra pay or anything.

Enjoy your coffee. I mean, that is a belated wish, so maybe ... IDK, enjoy all the coffees you have in the future I suppose.

I don't drink coffee myself. But I invited a friend to go out for ice cream tomorrow or in the following days. I hope we manage to find time. These weeks are really stressful at my work, with the finals for 4th graders, and finalizing grades for the lower grades, who are more and more unmotivated to learn anything at the end of the school year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2021 at 10:47 PM, Buckwheat said:

Yeah ... no. :lol: No, it is just a normal part of work. No extra pay or anything.

Enjoy your coffee. I mean, that is a belated wish, so maybe ... IDK, enjoy all the coffees you have in the future I suppose.

I don't drink coffee myself. But I invited a friend to go out for ice cream tomorrow or in the following days. I hope we manage to find time. These weeks are really stressful at my work, with the finals for 4th graders, and finalizing grades for the lower grades, who are more and more unmotivated to learn anything at the end of the school year.

:lol: thank you. I mostly picked up the coffee habit again because it’s substitute, albeit poor, for the experience of going out to a cafe and other leisurely rituals. 

Im sorry about the stress :( when does the school year end? Anyway, ice cream is always a great idea! I ordered some ice cream the other way, can’t wait to dive in, although I also crave an aperol spritz. My gluttony is out of control, it truly is, isn’t it? :leaving: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2021 at 5:26 PM, RhaenysBee said:

Im sorry about the stress :( when does the school year end? Anyway, ice cream is always a great idea! I ordered some ice cream the other way, can’t wait to dive in, although I also crave an aperol spritz. My gluttony is out of control, it truly is, isn’t it? :leaving: 

Officially on the 24th - that is the day they get their reports.

But mostly, they already have their grades, and the few days before the end of the school year, nothing in the way of learning gets done anymore. :dunno: We are basically there already. I try to do some more work done, to keep them motivated, but ... well, the motivation is dropping now. Some days, there aren't actual lectures anymore, but there are some trips and excursions.

I had a terrible day at work today. I had an argument with a very rude student. Urgh.

Edited by Buckwheat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2021 at 8:28 PM, Buckwheat said:

Officially on the 24th - that is the day they get their reports.

But mostly, they already have their grades, and the few days before the end of the school year, nothing in the way of learning gets done anymore. :dunno: We are basically there already. I try to do some more work done, to keep them motivated, but ... well, the motivation is dropping now. Some days, there aren't actual lectures anymore, but there are some trips and excursions.

I had a terrible day at work today. I had an argument with a very rude student. Urgh.

Yes I remember those sweet last weeks of school when everybody was just having fun and preparing for the summer holiday. Aw.

And that’s also positive because you’ll have some time off as well, right? 

Oh that’s rude. Sorry to hear that. Did you manage to settle the matter with them? 


it’s raining. got all my tests done, on Monday I have the consultations. Can’t wait to find out what terminal damage covid caused in my body… boy I hate doctor’s appointments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Yes I remember those sweet last weeks of school when everybody was just having fun and preparing for the summer holiday. Aw.

And that’s also positive because you’ll have some time off as well, right? 

Oh that’s rude. Sorry to hear that. Did you manage to settle the matter with them? 


it’s raining. got all my tests done, on Monday I have the consultations. Can’t wait to find out what terminal damage covid caused in my body… boy I hate doctor’s appointments. 

These weeks are very stressful for a teacher. And, well, for the students that still have grades to correct if they don't want to have to take the correction exam/fail the year. It is really hard to work when you know that you have basically done everything that needed to be done with the good students that already have all their grades and can go to holiday - and you just have to deal with the bad ones that are still in danger of failing the year (and obviously these can be extra demanding and rude and all :rolleyes: ). And you also feel like it is silly to make them watch movies all the time, but they really won't be motivated to do anything else.

My time off ... will be ... well, I suppose there will be some of that. For about two weeks after the school ends for students, we still have to work on paperwork, and we will have meetings, teacher workshops, correction exams etc.

I wouldn't say we settled things any. :dunno: She needs to accept that she got a bad grade and has to take the test again.

I hope you will end up fine and it will turn out that you aren't left with anything permanent!

I was on a street food festival today, and tomorrow is a Saturday when I don't have to be at work, so that's great. :commie: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2021 at 9:51 PM, Buckwheat said:

These weeks are very stressful for a teacher. And, well, for the students that still have grades to correct if they don't want to have to take the correction exam/fail the year. It is really hard to work when you know that you have basically done everything that needed to be done with the good students that already have all their grades and can go to holiday - and you just have to deal with the bad ones that are still in danger of failing the year (and obviously these can be extra demanding and rude and all :rolleyes: ). And you also feel like it is silly to make them watch movies all the time, but they really won't be motivated to do anything else.

My time off ... will be ... well, I suppose there will be some of that. For about two weeks after the school ends for students, we still have to work on paperwork, and we will have meetings, teacher workshops, correction exams etc.

I wouldn't say we settled things any. :dunno: She needs to accept that she got a bad grade and has to take the test again.

I hope you will end up fine and it will turn out that you aren't left with anything permanent!

I was on a street food festival today, and tomorrow is a Saturday when I don't have to be at work, so that's great. :commie: 

Ah of course, I’m sure it’s hard work for teachers. I can only remember the student perspective but I suppose it’s a particularly stressful time for teachers with the extra workload of the finals. 

Well, teenagers are like that, aren’t they? I hope this student had enough time to come to terms with the result and is ready to move on and take her exam again. 

Yes; it appears I’m fine, thank you. 

yay for the festival! Street food is the absolute best. 
 

I’m having a weird week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

Ah of course, I’m sure it’s hard work for teachers. I can only remember the student perspective but I suppose it’s a particularly stressful time for teachers with the extra workload of the finals. 

Yup. Today we had an overly long meeting ... I am finally home now. For the next two days, I have to be at school very early and tomorrow I also have to go on a walking tour on some hill close to the school as a sport activity for the students ... it is supposed to be sunny and hot. Yay.

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

Well, teenagers are like that, aren’t they? I hope this student had enough time to come to terms with the result and is ready to move on and take her exam again.

She took it today, after a lot of frustration regarding scheduling and communication issues.

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

Yes; it appears I’m fine, thank you. 

yay for the festival! Street food is the absolute best. 
 

I’m having a weird week. 

What is weird about it?

And what is with the new avatar? Did you draw a country in the Euro championship thread?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Yup. Today we had an overly long meeting ... I am finally home now. For the next two days, I have to be at school very early and tomorrow I also have to go on a walking tour on some hill close to the school as a sport activity for the students ... it is supposed to be sunny and hot. Yay.

She took it today, after a lot of frustration regarding scheduling and communication issues.

What is weird about it?

And what is with the new avatar? Did you draw a country in the Euro championship thread?

The walking tour sounds great! Though I’m sorry to hear that you have to rise early. 

I don’t know, I’m stressed out for no reason. Maybe it’s hormonal. Or too much caffeine. 

I didn’t really draw, I just thought I’d express my support even though I seem to have failed to stream the match. That also annoys me. Well it’s not like we stand a chance, we are playing world champion teams. I’ll change my avatar back once we’re out. 

I think I should make dinner and have a drink. 

Edited by RhaenysBee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On second thought, I know why I’m stressed. I finally found a way to stream this bloody match and feel some sort of community feeling. Then my sister keeps calling me every 5 minutes because she’s upset because her exam was difficult today and my mother calls me to ask how she can attach a photo in Facebook messenger and my aunt calls me to tell me about my cousin and how his maths teacher almost cried about what a great child he is. People, leave me alone, I just want a drink and the last 30 minutes of this damn match. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

The walking tour sounds great! Though I’m sorry to hear that you have to rise early. 

I don’t know, I’m stressed out for no reason. Maybe it’s hormonal. Or too much caffeine. 

I didn’t really draw, I just thought I’d express my support even though I seem to have failed to stream the match. That also annoys me. Well it’s not like we stand a chance, we are playing world champion teams. I’ll change my avatar back once we’re out. 

I think I should make dinner and have a drink. 

Walking tour sucks. It will probably be way too hot and boring. :dunno: Ah well.

Feel better soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Walking tour sucks. It will probably be way too hot and boring. :dunno: Ah well.

Feel better soon.

Oh no, really? I’m sorry :( I do like a nice walk. But I can see that the heat isn’t ideal. :( 

eh thanks, I’m looking forward to a relaxing long weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Oh no, really? I’m sorry :( I do like a nice walk. But I can see that the heat isn’t ideal. :( 

eh thanks, I’m looking forward to a relaxing long weekend. 

I mean, as is known, I am very much ... not into sports. A tour up a hill is not my idea of a fulfilling workday. But oh well. I hope I get assigned to some group of well-behaved kids at least. (And that we don't lose any in a forest this time, which happened the last time I went on an outing.)

Long weekend? Is there a holiday coming? Our weekend will be of the usual length.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I mean, as is known, I am very much ... not into sports. A tour up a hill is not my idea of a fulfilling workday. But oh well. I hope I get assigned to some group of well-behaved kids at least. (And that we don't lose any in a forest this time, which happened the last time I went on an outing.)

Long weekend? Is there a holiday coming? Our weekend will be of the usual length.

A kid was lost? Oh my, how did that happen?  How silly can they be to get lost on a walking tour? :uhoh: 

oh no :( I just have two days off at the beginning of next week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

A kid was lost? Oh my, how did that happen?  How silly can they be to get lost on a walking tour? :uhoh: 

... :dunno:

After spending about a year working where I work ... teenagers can be more stupid than you think. And in some ways, much more clever too, so they are always full of surprises.

Tour managed. It was about 4 hours all together. Some parts were really hot, especially when we went uphill. But now I am already home and showered, which was very refreshing. I need to make something to eat.

15 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

oh no :( I just have two days off at the beginning of next week. 

Enjoy the long weekend!

We have a national holiday coming on the 25th, so that will be a long weekend for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uh. It is very hot. Today and tomorrow are crazy days at work. After that, things will slow down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is indeed a disgustingly hot week. We are expected to have 35-38C this week. 
supposed to cool down to 27-8ish at the weekend. Can’t wait, because it’s “only” 33 today and I’m already dying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It’s nearly midnight and it’s 29C outside. I fucking hate summer. 
 

now it’s 8am and it’s 28C again. I think there was a brief couple hours between 4 am and 7am when it went down to 24-5. 

Edited by RhaenysBee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...