Rare Words and Expressions

Corvo the Crow

1 hour ago, Sandy Clegg said:

he uses it to mean 'join in battle with'

I suspect this is one meaning but it's not the only meaning of "dance" in ASOIAF. This doesn't seem like battle, although I might be wrong:

The Imp's mismatched eyes narrowed. "My lady can dance with whomever she pleases."

Perhaps she ought to have remained beside her husband, but she wanted to dance so badly . . . and Ser Garlan was brother to Margaery, to Willas, to her Knight of Flowers. "I see why they name you Garlan the Gallant, ser," she said, as she took his hand.

"My lady is gracious to say so. My brother Willas gave me that name, as it happens. To protect me."

Ser Garlan laughed. "I was a plump little boy, I fear, and we do have an uncle called Garth the Gross. So Willas struck first, though not before threatening me with Garlan the Greensick, Garlan the Galling, and Garlan the Gargoyle."

It was so sweet and silly that Sansa had to laugh, despite everything. Afterward she was absurdly grateful. Somehow the laughter made her hopeful again, if only for a little while. Smiling, she let the music take her, losing herself in the steps, in the sound of flute and pipes and harp, in the rhythm of the drum . . . and from time to time in Ser Garlan's arms, when the dance brought them together. "My lady wife is most concerned for you," he said quietly, one such time.

Storm, Sansa III

To me, the interesting thing about Sansa during this dance is that she says, "Thankfully, it was time to change again. Her legs had turned to wood, though, and Lord Rowan, Ser Tallad, and Elinor's squire all must have thought her a very clumsy dancer."

It was time to change and her legs turn into wood. To me, this is a more interesting interpretation of dance - it is an activity used to change people. 

That fits with the dancing taking place in the Jon / Alys interaction, too, I think. The "anon" may have been chosen because it has the unique quality that it can evoke past, present and future (especially if used incorrectly by Alys, but with the apparent intention of referring to something that took place in the past). 

But I suspect that "anon" might also allude to the name Old Nan. Since she and her stories have a mysterious timelessness, this may fit with the type of change we are seeing in the Jon / Alys wedding dance (and possibly in the Sansa / Garlan wedding dance).

2 hours ago, Sandy Clegg said:

'Dance' is a tricksy word in George's world as he uses it to mean 'join in battle with' as in sword fighting or with combat in general.

This is the type of dance that seems most likely.  Indeed, the attack on Jon was choreographed somewhat, not much, but it looked like two stabs upfront and possibly two stabs at the back.  I don't think Jon is dead and if not, it remains to be seen who else will dance with Jon anon.