ASOIAF House Color Theory / Stark Bloodline

YeniAy_Ottoman

Hello, Selam!

A few months ago, while I was explaining Targaryen colors and the theory of the firstborn to someone, (with some help) I realized through a comment that this color theory may not be limited to Targaryen only. I don't know, maybe someone else thought of it before, I missed it then.

Do you remember the theory?

When a male member of the Targaryens marries outside the household; their first born children do not have the platinum hair color characteristic of Targaryen, they are born in different colors in general, although some inherit their eye color. But the situation is different for the next children, they always have Targaryen colors, pulling on the paternal side. Different hybrid Targ heirs never ascended the throne, they died or renounced their rights. For this reason, it is thought that Jon will never sit on the Iron Throne as a Targaryen.

But our subject is not the Targaryen lineage. This color theory can apply to all Westeros families.

IN ASOIAF most families have their own special colors, at least we know many of them; Baratheons have black hair and blue eyes. Lannisters have golden hair and green eyes. Red and blue eyes seem to predominate in the Tully family (only Cat and Lysa's father, Hoster Tully, is known to have had brown hair once, but all of his children and his brother Blackfish are red). Martells has olive skin, black curly hair and dark eyes. The Targaryens are known, and the Starks have brown hair, gray eyes, and long features. If we extend the color theory to other houses, the ultimate heirs/rulers of other houses will carry their special colors and those who do not have these colors will not be able to become the head of the house(or only short time they can be).

The Baratheons intermarried with many households, but the children and heirs born always kept their color. The Martells also married other houses, including the Targaryen, but they also seem to retain their color. Before the Targaryens, under the Andals, King III. Gerold Lannister's only surviving heir was his daughter, whose name is unknown. House Lannisters were First Men, she married an Andal, Joffrey Lydden, and the new king became Lannister, taking his wife's surname. In this way, the household began to have Andal blood as well as the First Men. We know that Clever Lann, who is considered the founder of the family, had golden hair. Until now, we see that the family still managed to preserve their golden hair. In other words, although the house/familyline continues from the woman, the next heirs managed to preserve this color. It is claimed that a similar case occurred among the Starks. The Wilding King, who stole the heart of Stark girl, the sole heir of the (male) heirless Lord Brandon, had a son from her, who later became Lord Stark. The Starks still preserve the physical characteristics of the family, that is, the child resembles the mother and passes it on to his own children.

According to my theory of the Future of House Stark, the "Winterfell Rose", this story repeats itself years later with Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen, and Lyanna, the Rose of Winterfell, gives birth to Jon Snow, who has colors similar to herself. If I'm right, House Stark will be continue from Jon Snow.

Moreover... over the years, it has been argued from time to time why only one of Ned Stark's five children, Arya, looks like her father, and the rest take on her mother's colours. What is the author's purpose in doing this? Frankly, I don't like the possibility of an heir with a color other than the Stark colors to become the head of the house and pass these colors on to the next children.

Looking at the series as a whole, Martin doesn't like it either.

Targaryen heirs who do not carry the family colors dies, and Valyrian-looking ones take the throne. The situation seems to be the same for the Baratheons and the Lannisters and the Martells. Even the Boltons don't seem to have different colors. The Starks don't appear to be of different colors until Ned, we see that the family has dominant blood, but that changes when it comes to Ned's sons and eldest daughter. Yes, Robb became king, but his life and reign were both short-lived(only a year).

Bran being crippled, Rickon being a younger child(might die soon), Jon being legitimized and declared heir so that Sansa can't inherit... all because of (might be) Martin's desire to continue the lineage of the Starks from Jon and Arya. If this color theory and my winterfell theory are added and the love of JonArya theory, which the author conceived in his letter published years ago, is included, some things become more meaningful and most of the stones fall into place.

TLDRThus, we can see that the theory that only heirs of Targaryen family colors can ascend to the Iron Throne can hold true for all families. Especially in this way, we can predict that the ancestry of the Stark family can only continue from members of these colors (Jon and Arya). Considering that Stark is Martin's favorite family, if he shows this color sensitivity for Targaryen, we can consider it is same for the Starks too. Rhaenyra's bastards all had the colors of Harwin Strong, and they all died, as I believe Martin wanted Daemon's children to pass the throne. By the same logic, the other children has Tully color, not Stark, as (probably) Martin wants Arya and Jon to continue the Stark legacy.

Thank you.