There are many people talking about multiple canals in Westeros depending on the map. You have either the Blue or Green fork to the Sunset Sea, the Mander to the Blackwater Rush, the White Knife to Torrhen's Square, and a couple more unpopular ones. The problem I'm seeing is that these rivers are only close at the source of the rivers so wouldn't that ruin the drinking water of the kingdoms. Wouldn't you have to dig a canal further into the kingdom and connect it to the river further away and make aqueducts or bring water to places that would be affected by this canal (population growth and no more drinking water)?

The "source" of a river is not the place where all the water enters it. Rivers generally get wider as they get closer to the sea, from rainfall, and from the outlaw of streams and smaller rivers that join it.

Canals are quite narrow, just wide enough for one boat to pass another, so they don't need a huge amount of water. However, there are other considerations. The terrain across the entire length of the canal needs to be fairly flat, so that it won't be necessary to build large numbers of locks to move boats up and down. And of course, the canal needs to pass through an area, or to connect two areas, where there is enough population and commerce to justify the cost of building it.

Come to think of it, I don't know if a medieval level of technology can even build locks. Were there canals with locks in real-life medieval Europe, or are those more of an industrial-age thing?

5 minutes ago, Aebram said:

Come to think of it, I don't know if a medieval level of technology can even build locks. Were there canals with locks in real-life medieval Europe, or are those more of an industrial-age thing?

Pound locks have been used for at least a thousand years or so i think.

9 hours ago, KingoftheRiversandtheHills said:

Wouldn't you have to dig a canal further into the kingdom and connect it to the river further away and make aqueducts or bring water to places that would be affected by this canal (population growth and no more drinking water)?

I think they use wells for drinking water, and canal water like in bravvos is boiled before being drunk, so i assume that logic works for other places too in universe