Flint’s Finger

Flint’s Finger is kinda weird. While it would be hard to invade from the Marshlands as it make the North “impregnable,” it would be easy for a small military force to sneak into flints finger through the forest west of the Marshlands. Also, according to the maps, flints finger could host a pretty important Northern harbor (if not for trade then militarily) and it could be very well defended. A few watch towers along the flint cliffs overlooking the iron islands would help them keep track of Iron born raids and I think cape kraken has a bigger population than most part of the north except for the obvious as maesters seemed to take an interest in the region.

3 hours ago, KingoftheRiversandtheHills said:

Also, according to the maps, flints finger could host a pretty important Northern harbor

You can't tell that from maps. From maps, there should be dozens of harbours on the Dorne coastline.

2 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

You can't tell that from maps. From maps, there should be dozens of harbours on the Dorne coastline.

I meant that it could be turned into a well protected harbor if they wanted to. Like it is a natural harbor that can be easily protected. 

Just now, KingoftheRiversandtheHills said:

I meant that it could be turned into a well protected harbor if they wanted to. Like it is a natural harbor that can be easily protected. 

Not necessarily - like Dorne, maybe the coastline is too rocky and treacherous. I'd tend to assume that if it were easy to build harbours, over the past thousands of years it would have been done.

4 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

Not necessarily - like Dorne, maybe the coastline is too rocky and treacherous. I'd tend to assume that if it were easy to build harbours, over the past thousands of years it would have been done.

Well it's not easy to build harbors when there is no reason to. It's hard to find what flints finger is good for other than agriculture maybe. I was thinking more along the lines of if the north started exporting goods to the south, a harbor could be built there to host some "military" ships to protect the merchant ships in northern waters. It would also protect blazewater bay and the saltspear. 

I agree that Flint's Finger is kinda weird, I mean it is the southern most part of the North and from the map it seems like the biggest peninsula in Westeros, it should be some of the best farmland in the North and with it size the Lord of the Finger should be one of the most important banner men of the Starks, but we hear nothing about them, I can see that they are no Harbours because the coast is mostly cliffs but the hinterland should be prime real estate in the North, and the Lord of the Finger closer to the Manderly, Boltons, Dustin or Karstark, and not just one branch of the Flints (not even the most important one !)