Second life appearence by George R R Martin

davec

That sounds promising. And it's a good indication that they showed up on Second Life with GRRM. By the way, I know this was asked earlier, but if anyone recorded the audio, could they post it? It wasn't working for me during the reading.

I think they said something about a podcast...?

As for my question regarding real life castles vs. Westeros castle, here is my best paraphrase of his answer WITH LINKS!

Question: Are there any historic castles or locations that you have visited that inspired castles or locations in Westeros?

Answer: {paraphrased, NOT quoted} He does like visiting castles, and has been to many...he particularly likes touring the ruins of castles. He referred to a trip (or trips) to Scotland. One set of ruins in particular, Tantallon, helped inspire Pyke, home to the Greyjoys in the Iron Islands. Tantallon is built out on rocks jutting out over the water, over the Firth of Forth.

{more pictures here: http://www.tantallon.de/lazy-index.php?file=Gallery1/}

He also mentioned that Hadrian's Wall helped inspire The Wall, although, since it's fantasy, everything is bigger and grander (hence the massive size difference, and being fantastically made of ice). He described walking along Hadrian's Wall and how he channeled what he felt there into the attitude of the Night's Watch.

Here's part of the message:

Congrats on winning the raffle at the George RR

Martin event with Bantam Dell! You will win *either* A signed advance reading

edition of Dreamsongs: Volume I, the forthcoming compendium on sale in Fall

2007, from Bantam Spectra OR A free subscription to all six issues of THE HEDGE

KNIGHT II: THE SWORN SWORD or a hardcover copy of THE HEDGE KNIGHT from Dabel

Brothers Productions.

We will mail you the prize so we need your real name and

address.

It's unclear whether I get to choose, or if one is just assigned to me.

Archived