Where ever whores go

Doreah was sweet. I only wish she had lived until Dany entered her "experimental" phase.

I completely forgot. How did Doreah die? I just noticed that she was there in AGOT, and then she wasn't.

I completely forgot. How did Doreah die? I just noticed that she was there in AGOT, and then she wasn't.

after khal drogo died before she got to that first city, vaes tolorro, the city of bones, while following the comet.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is late for this timeline and this thread is pretty old but....

If she was truly did go to Braavos don't they have a different calandar. I seem to remember something in the Arya chapters on her saying that they counted their calandar different from Westeros when she was thinking about how old she was.

I could be wrong so don't kill me if I am. That has just been bugging me while reading this thread.

But we already know where Tysha is... I've seen her posting on here a bunch of times.

Seriously though, I have a feeling he'll find out something MUCH sooner than the 6th book... I think he'll find out a little something in Dance...

If she was truly did go to Braavos don't they have a different calandar. I seem to remember something in the Arya chapters on her saying that they counted their calandar different from Westeros when she was thinking about how old she was.

I could be wrong so don't kill me if I am. That has just been bugging me while reading this thread.

yeah they do, I'm rereading AFfC right now and I just read that part a day or 2 ago. It makes sense though, the calender of Westeros begins with Aegon finishing his conquest of Westeros (well, technically it dates from the day he received his blessing from the High Septon). No reason for the rest of the world to change just because Westeros has a new king!

yeah they do, I'm rereading AFfC right now and I just read that part a day or 2 ago. It makes sense though, the calender of Westeros begins with Aegon finishing his conquest of Westeros (well, technically it dates from the day he received his blessing from the High Septon). No reason for the rest of the world to change just because Westeros has a new king!

The question, though, isn't whether the calender has different dates for New Years and a different number for the year, but whether or not the "year" in Braavos is actually a different length, maybe only 3/4 of a Westerosi year.

This would not be totally out of the question. On Earth, the cyclical nature of the seasons prevented anyone's calender from getting too far out of wack--I think everyone stayed in the 360-365.25 range for days of the year--but that wouldn't necessarily be true in Martin's World.

Not all ancient calendars were really in step. Lunar calendars were often very far off of those based on day length or astrology. For example, the Babylonians had a lunar calander, and their ruler would simply declare that this year would have an extra month whenever he felt that the calendar was getting too far offstep with the seasons. But the world of Westeros wouldn't have seasons to judge with, so a culture with a lunar calendar could have much shorter years than one with a solar or astral calendar. However, lunar calendars were much less common, historically, than solar calendars.

I suppose whether everyone's years coincide to the same amount of time depends on a lot of factors. If everyone has a lunar calendar, then even though the years are actually shorter than a true year, at least everyone is counting the same. If not, then we run into the question of do the heavens in the GRRMverse follow the same sort of cyclical pattern that our own do? And if they do, has the knowledge and acceptance of using the star's movements to count years spread everywhere?

I took Arya's statement more to mean that the months were named differently (and possibly with a different number of days each) and that the new year was probably counted on a different day rather than the year was a different length, though.

Not all ancient calendars were really in step. Lunar calendars were often very far off of those based on day length or astrology. For example, the Babylonians had a lunar calander, and their ruler would simply declare that this year would have an extra month whenever he felt that the calendar was getting too far offstep with the seasons. But the world of Westeros wouldn't have seasons to judge with, so a culture with a lunar calendar could have much shorter years than one with a solar or astral calendar. However, lunar calendars were much less common, historically, than solar calendars.

I suppose whether everyone's years coincide to the same amount of time depends on a lot of factors. If everyone has a lunar calendar, then even though the years are actually shorter than a true year, at least everyone is counting the same. If not, then we run into the question of do the heavens in the GRRMverse follow the same sort of cyclical pattern that our own do? And if they do, has the knowledge and acceptance of using the star's movements to count years spread everywhere?

Well, lunar calendars were usually 360 days for most years, correct? That means that eventually it is going to drift and need to be put right again, but it is close enough to the solar calender that ages are going to stay close: someone who is 14 by the lunar calender will be close enough to 14 by the solar calender so that it makes no difference. Even if we never add an extra month to put things right, it is going to be decades before someone's age will be off even as much as a year. So Lanna's age would be pretty much what's stated in the appendix.

I took Arya's statement more to mean that the months were named differently (and possibly with a different number of days each) and that the new year was probably counted on a different day rather than the year was a different length, though.

As did I. Since I doubt she was keeping careful track of the days during ACOK and ASOS while she was on the run, she probably has no idea what day it is by the Westeros standard calender. The fact that Braavos had a different New Year and different names for the months meant that she couldn't re-synch up with her previous birthday and such once she came to the House of Black and White.

Depends on if they consider a month to be 29 days, 30 days, or alternated between the two (the lunar cycle is ~29.5 days) and how many months were in their year. But, yes, the difference wouldn't be enough to throw off so small a count of years as 14. When you're speaking of larger numbers, however, it becomes much harder to calculate.

This is an entirely seperate discussion, but what exactly signifies the passing of a year in the GRRMverse? In our own word, it is one revolution around the sun, marked by the seasons, stars, and length of days. The seasons and the length of days, at least, can't be the case here. Does his world even orbit a sun? Does it have an axial tilt? We know it has a moon, but does that moon even have the same cycle as our moon? For all we really know, his moon could have a 100 day cycle or stay full for 3 weeks, then disapear for 3 weeks with nothing in between. I think it's pretty safe to say that a Westerosi year is roughly equivelant to a real world year, simply based on ages coming out right (for example, highborn girls getting their first menstration at about the right age), but we don't know how many days it actually has and what is used to mark their passage.

Anyway, sorry for the offtopicness. Just random thoughts that popped into my head.

• 1 month later...
She has some money (assuming no one stole it from her on her way out of Castlery Rock) She's probably in shock and wants to get away. In her place I wouldn't go to Lannisport. The soldiers that raped her would likely visit the ale-houses in the town or be there on guard duty and could spread the tale about her in town. So she would flee by land out of the Lannister territories. What will she do? The money can support her for a few months but she would need to find work sooner or later. She has no special skills, a work as a tavern maid would be a natural position. Going by ship to the free cities is iffy in my opinion. She doesn't know their language, she would have no better chance to find work there then in Westeros and she would lose a lot of her money getting there and acclimatizing to the new culture. Tell me what you think she'll do.

Am I the only one who thinks it highly unlikely that Tywin just let Tysha go after the rape by his men. This is a girl who has married his son, causing him great shame. His protestations to Tyrion (just before his death) that he never thought to inquire where she went is totally un-Tywin. He always dots the i's and crosses the t's, he wouldn't want this random humiliation of one of his sons to be wandering around Westros, telling her story to whoever she chose. Tywin would have wanted to keep this embarrassing stories away from his enemies, real or imagined. He was a master spin doctor... he didn't inquire as to where she went, not bloody likely. I'm sure he gave his castellan strict instructions on how to dispose of Tysha.

Either:

1. he had her killed (not likely from a story-line perspective, as many have mentioned she keeps popping up in the series and it seems to hint her story is not yet told).

2. he had her sent somewhere.

I opt for number 2, and what else would be more plausable than Tywin asked ... dum dum DUM... his brother Gerion to take her across the sea and dump her in some whorehouse in Braavos. By all accounts, Gerion made the passage several times and this would be a way for Tywin to get rid of Tysha and get her out of Westros without risking becoming a kinslayer by killing his daughter-in-law (drunk or not, a Septon married them).

So Tywin sends Gerion to Braavos, where he installs Tysha in the whorehose (possibly pregnant with Tyrion's daughter Lanna, if you think the timeline would fit in a stretch), he returns to Westros where he fathers Joy Hill, then later goes in search of Brightroar.

Incidentally, this even leaves open the possiblity that Gerion is the Sailor, that at some point (either taking her to Braavos or later visiting her/Lanna) they fell in love and he abandoned her... I don't think it's likely, but could be.

imo The Sailor's Wife's viewpoints toward marriage (i.e. it's just a load of crap, it's temporary, the vows are essentially meaningless) square dead on with what Tysha would have felt after her marriage to Tyrion and her subsequent horrible mistreatment.

Well, lunar calendars were usually 360 days for most years, correct? That means that eventually it is going to drift and need to be put right again, but it is close enough to the solar calender that ages are going to stay close: someone who is 14 by the lunar calender will be close enough to 14 by the solar calender so that it makes no difference. Even if we never add an extra month to put things right, it is going to be decades before someone's age will be off even as much as a year.

354 or 355 days. The drift makes a difference of 11 days per year, about 1 year in 33. Which is why Mohammedan calendar does not stay fixed by season.

• 5 months later...

So, I just found this theory for the first time today. Welcome to the party, huh?

Seems plausible to me. The story we have on the Sailor's Wife is told third or fourth hand by Cat of the Canals, right? Lot's of room for interpretation and fuzzy understanding there. She had a true husband, she lost him, she's still waiting for him to come for her, she won't sleep anyone unless he makes a sham marriage with her.

So what if Tyrion isn't a sailor? So what if he's lost to her across the sea instead of on it? It matches well enough for a third-hand tale.

Plus, the timing is fairly close and "Lanna" for Lannister is suggestive.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

But in GoT Tyrion says Tysha has black hair while in AFFC the Sailor's Wife is blonde.

Can you give me a quote for that? Because I just checked and found nothing... It just says Lanna is blonde, but as we know Lannister genes are strong...

Archived