ACoK ReRead - Davos (+Prologue)

Barba

Prologue (Point-of-View: Maester Cressen)

Introduced: Maester Cressen* (Dragonstone’s maester, once maester to Lord Steffon Baratheon at Storm’s End, raised Robert, Stannis and Renly; killed by the very poison he used to try and kill Lady Melisandre);

Lord Stannis Baratheon (Lord of Dragonstone, now proclaimed as King, held Storm’s End for a year while besieged during the war 15 years before; defeated the Iron Fleet during Balon Greyjoy's Rebellion; prior master of ships on King Robert’s small council; brother of Robert and Renly, husband of Lady Selyse and father of Shireen, grandson of Princess of Rhaelle Targaryen; currently at the Wall making his seat at the Nightfort, in preparation to defend the realm from the Others);

Lady Melisandre (the Red Woman, a priestess of the god R’hllor and shadowbinder from Asshai);

Maester Pylos (young maester of the Citadel sent to replace old Maester Cressen);

Shireen (daughter of Lord Stannis and Lady Selyse);

Patchface (a fool, only survivor when Lord Steffon’s ship went down);

Lady Selyse Baratheon (of House Florent, now Queen; daughter of Ser Ryam Florent, niece of Lord Alester and Ser Axell, cousin of Delena Norcross [mother of Edric Storm]);

Ser Davos Seaworth (the Onion Knight, Davos Shorthand, former smuggler, knighted by Lord Stannis, captain of Black Betha, later Lord of the Rainwood and Hand of King Stannis);

Lord Ardrian Celtigar (Lord of Claw Isle, bannerman to King Stannis);

Lord Monford Velaryon* (Lord of the Tides, Master of Driftmark, bannerman to King Stannis, succeeded by his son Monterys; his house of ancient Valyrian blood; unknown relationship to Aurane Waters; perished during the Battle of the Blackwater);

Lord Duram Bar Emmon (Lord of Sharp Point, 14 years old, bannerman to King Stannis);

Ser Axell Florent (Castellan of Dragonstone, uncle of Queen Selyse);

Lord Guncer Sunglass* (Lord of Sweetport Sound, bannerman to King Stannis; sacrificed to the god R'hllor by Lady Melisandre);

Salladhor Saan (Lysene captain, self-styled Prince of the Narrow Sea, later Lord of Blackwater Bay).

First Mentioned: Lord Steffon Baratheon* (former Lord of Storm's End, father of Robert, Stannis and Renly, died when his ship sank returning from Volantis; his mother was Princess Rhaelle Targaryen, King Aegon V's daughter).

Maester Cressen is looking at the blood-red comet in the sky over Dragonstone, and considering whether it is an omen. A white raven had arrived from the Citadel, and it meant that the long summer was coming to a close, a summer that lasted just over 10 years. Shireen comes to visit the old maester with her fool Patchface. Shireen’s face is disfigured from a bout of greyscale as a child, that Maester Cressen was not able to treat sufficiently to prevent scarring. Shireen has been having nightmares of dragons come to eat her, and Cressen explains that Dragonstone was the westernmost outpost of the ancient Freehold of Valyria. While they are talking, Patchface begins singing "the shadows have come to dance (or stay) my lord", which Shireen says he has been singing all the time lately. Cressen remembers how Lord Steffon Baratheon found the fool while off in Volantis looking for a wife for Rhaegar at the behest of King Aerys. As they returned to Storm’s End, the ship sank killing everyone aboard, but Patchface washed up on shore 3 days later, and appeared dead. His skin was clammy cold, yet he coughed up water and lived, although he was broken in mind and body.

Cressen then learns that Ser Davos had returned last night and was in council with the king. Cressen is disturbed, because he was always asked for his counsel in these matters, but the king was ignoring him. Cressen goes to Stannis, and on the way meets Ser Davos. The Onion Knight tells him that all the Stormlords spurned him, for they had no love for Stannis and would not join his cause. Instead, they all supported Renly along with the Lords of the Reach. We learn Davos’ history, how he had been a notorious smuggler, but during the siege of Storm’s End he had saved the defenders by sailing past the Redwyne blockade in the dead of night and brought onions to Lord Stannis’ men. It had allowed them to survive, when they would have starved, until Lord Eddard lifted the siege. Stannis had knighted Davos for his deed, but also chopped off all the fingers on his left hand but the thumb for his previous misdeeds as a smuggler.

Cressen learns of Renly being named king, and worries for him. Cressen raised all three Baratheon children and grieves for them all. Davos says that Stannis has no hope with such a small army, yet the king will not relent and plans to sail against King’s Landing. Cressen then goes in to give counsel to Stannis, and we learn that the king has felt slighted all these years that Renly was given Storm’s End by their brother when by rights it should have been Stannis’. Cressen advises that Stannis join with Renly, but the King will not treat with him as long as his brother calls himself a king. He also advises that Stannis send Shireen to foster on the Eyrie to make alliance with the Arryns (and we learn that Lord Arryn had planned to foster Robert Arryn on Dragonstone with Stannis). The suggestion is overheard by Queen Selyse, who storms in and yells at the Maester for advising that Stannis needs help for the war. The Queen is wholly gone over to the god R’hllor of the red priestess Melisandre. The Queen believes the comet is an omen from the heart of fire, the god R’hllor who will aid Stannis in his conquest. Stannis is more interested in men than in the help of a god. When Selyse suggests that if Renly were to die, his army would join Stannis, Cressen is horrified and pleads with Stannis that fratricide is evil.

Cressen is sent away, and back in his chambers realizes that he must kill Melisandre before she can totally convert the King to her evil schemes. Cressen prepares a crystal that he plans to put in Melisandre’s drink, but then oversleeps. He enters the Great Hall to find Stannis and his bannermen at the feast table. Cressen is mocked by Melisandre and Patchface because he tripped, but is given a seat by Ser Davos. Davos tells the maester that Melisandre has seen victory in her flames, but Cressen tells the red woman that her god holds no power here. Cressen then proposes a toast, and both he and Melisandre drink the poisoned wine. The ruby at Melisandre’s throat glows, and she tells Cressen that R’hllor does have power here, as Maester Cressen dies from the poison.

OK, I'll go first.

My first impressions of the characters: I liked Davos, Shireen, Cressen, and Pylos. I found Patchface annoying. I hated Mel and Selyse. I wasn't sure about Stannis. After several rereads, I still like those same characters. I find Patchface more and more interesting. I'm starting to understand Mel, but still don't like her methods. I still hate Selyse. I'm liking Stannis more and more.

At this point in the series, it seemed to me that all of the maesters were basically the same person. Luwin, Coleman, Cressen, Pylos, Aemon, and even Pycelle. They all seemed like amiable people that just want to help others. It's not until later in ACOK that Pycelle starts to get annoying.

Cressen mentions that he has been on Dragonstone for 12 years. The Robellian was about 16 years ago. Why didn't Stannis take over Dragonstone until 4 years after the Robellian?

Timeline

I got the impression the the comet had only been in the sky for a few days, so this chapter starts a few days after Dany's last chapter in AGOT. Mentions of the comet and the white ravens help a lot with the timeline in the first few chapters of ACOK.

Doesn't Stannis have any better diplomats than Davos? It's seems like he would have to have someone better at talking to and persuading nobles than Davos. Also, why doesn't Stannis send envoys to the Vale and the North? If he could have met Robb and Cat at Moat Cailin and told them about Cercei's and Jaime's incest, they probably would have joined him.

Cressen then proposes a toast, and both he and Melisandre drink the poisoned wine. The ruby at Melisandre’s throat glows, and she tells Cressen that R’hllor does have power here, as Maester Cressen dies from the poison.

I will add a comment.

The text says that the ruby "shimmers redly". Now this could be interpreted that the ruby is giving off light, with the implication that it is acting as a magic "neutralise poison" item, possibly similar to the jewel that Dany is given which supposedly gives immunity to poison.

OTOH, it could be that Cressen happens to focus on the jewel, which is obviously the focal point of Melisandre's costume, at this crucial moment. Melisandre may have gained immunity to poison in some other manner, perhaps in the same process that rendered her unnaturally warm and resistant to cold. It might be that the supposed magic properties of Dany's gem are superstition (similar superstitions about gem stones existed in RL).

This is another case of GRRM being ambiguous about magic, but my guess is that the latter of the two options above is true.

Cressen mentions that he has been on Dragonstone for 12 years. The Robellian was about 16 years ago. Why didn't Stannis take over Dragonstone until 4 years after the Robellian?

Hmm... could this be the time it took for Stannis to build his fleet? Depending on how large it was, that could take a number of years. Is there any other information about this time anywhere else? There's also the possibility that Cressen stayed with Renly at Storm's End for a while even after Stannis took Dragonstone, until the Citadel could send a replacement for him to Storm's End and re-assign Cressen to Stannis's new fortress.

Good question.

Couple of thoughts:

Stannis Closed the isle a year ago after Jon Arryn was killed, right. It was probably because he was afraid that he will also be killed, right? Now, if he closed the isle, so noone can go in or out, why does maester says that ships that sailed too close to Dragonstone were 'arrested'."No craft that had come within sight of Dragonstone this past half year had been allowed to leave again." It sounds easy for assasins to enter the Dragonstone.

Smoken shadow of the mountain - Does this mean Drafonstone is a vulcano.

Shireen's Dream - IIRC someone on SSM (don't know the link) asked George:"What will Stannis do when Mel decides to sacrifice Shireen." That someone got a strange look for George after that. IMHO I think that this will happen, but Stan won't allow it, and shit will start to happen on the wall. We will have Mel's men, Stan's men, brothers of the NW, and the wildings. Can't wait for DWD. :drool:

Patchface was a boy when Stan's father found him on a quest for Rhaegar's bride. let's say he was 8-10. during the rebellion Rhaegar had a 3 years old daughter. That means pathface was found at least 18-20 years ago. Let's say that patchface then was 8-10. That means that now patchface is 25-30. I think that this is interesting because from all his playing with Shireen and all, we have a feeling that he is also a kid. How does he shave? Or does he have a beard?

Ser Doresain + The Adequate Jon:

Your brother has been the Lord of Storm’s End these past thirteen years...

A maester must go where he is sent, so Cressen had come here with his lord some twelve years past, and he had served, and served well.

I held Storm’s End for him, watching good men starve while Mace Tyrell and Paxter Redwyne feasted within sight of my walls. Did Robert thank me? No. He thanked Stark, for lifting the siege when we were down to rats and radishes. I built a fleet at Robert’s command, took Dragonstone in his name. Did he take my hand and say, Well done, brother, whatever should I do without you? No, he blamed me for letting Willem Darry steal away Viserys and the babe, as if I could have stopped it. I sat on his council for fifteen years, helping Jon Arryn rule his realm while Robert drank and whored, but when Jon died, did my brother name me his Hand? No, he went galloping off to his dear friend Ned Stark, and offered him the honor. And small good it did either of them

What I find interesting in this quotes is this: Renly was lord of Storm's End for 13 years, and Stan came to Dragonstone 12 years ago. Where was he that year: building fleet.

Last part of this quote, I think, is in cronological order. Do we have any info on how long did Dragonstone held after siege of Storm's End was lifted?

Impressions: Cool Chapter. I think that this is very important chapter, that gives the reader first impressions of Davos and Especially Stannis. Stannis is just and Hard man, and it is very well described in this chapetr. No mercy. Cressen is old and weak, and Stannis is pushing him aside no matter what Cressen did for him in the past. No mercy. If we didn't have this chapter written from Cressen's POV, we all would most likley get better impression of Stannis than George would want (especially when he pardoned all those storn's lords after Renly died).

So, Stannis didn't take Dragonstone until 4 years after the Robellian. I'll have to go back to Dany's chapters in AGOT to see if there is any more info on this. It looks like Robert made Renly lord of Storm's End in order to motivate Stannis. "Stannis, if you want your own lordship seat, you'll just have to take Dragonstone for me." I wonder if Varys let Willem Darry know when to get Dany and Vis away from Dragonstone.

Wilding, I always assumed that Dany was given the same kind of gem that Mel had, but now that you mention it, I don't think Dany's gem is the same color as Mel's.

Shireen has been having nightmares of dragons come to eat her, and Cressen explains that Dragonstone was the westernmost outpost of the ancient Freehold of Valyria. While they are talking, Patchface begins singing "the shadows have come to dance (or stay) my lord", which Shireen says he has been singing all the time lately.
This struck me as another prophesy. Shireen sees the dragons coming even though the maesters are always putting down the idea of dragons. And they are coming to eat her. Does she foresee her own death by dragons (or Targaryens)?

Also, the "the shadows have come to dance" - could be 2 things - The shadows being the stone dragons of Dragonstone....thereby rendering "The Dance of Dragons" a neat reference to the upcoming book.......or maybe also the shadows that Millisandre gives birth to.??

I liked these small tie-ins to the story.

• 3 weeks later...

Davos I

Introduced: Allard* (second son of Ser Davos, captain of the Lady Marya; sunk with his ship in Blackwater Bay);

Dale* (eldest son of Ser Davos, captain of the Wraith; went down with his ship in Blackwater Bay);

Septon Barre (priest of the Seven at Dragonstone, later imprisoned);

Ser Hubard Rambton* (knight sworn to Dragonstone; killed trying to stop Melisandre from burning the statues of the seven gods);

Devan (fifth son of Ser Davos, squire of King Stannis).

Legends: Azor Ahai (legendary hero of the god R’hllor; forged Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes);

Nissa Nissa (Azor Ahai's wife who died in the forging of Lightbringer).

Melisandre and the Queen’s men are burning the statues of the seven gods in the sept at Dragonstone as a sacrifice to R’hllor. Those who tried to stop this blasphemy were either killed, like Ser Rambton, or imprisoned, like Lord Sunglass and Septon Barre. Davos remains steady during this event, because he believes he owes everything to Stannis, and is forever loyal. Melisandre has Stannis draw a near-molten sword from the conflagration, naming the sword Lightbringer and Stannis Azor Ahai come again. The sword is a burning mess, and Stannis has to drop it. Later, Davos meets Salladhor Saan at a tavern, and the Lyseni pirate tells him that the red priests in Lys are always burning things in the name of R’hllor. He also tells Davos the legend of the forging of Lightbringer, how Azor Ahai had to keep reforging the sword hundreds of times, until he finally plunged it in his wife’s heart, and it was her courage and blood that created the sword. Saan tells Davos to be thankful the sword Stannis raised was not real, for "too much light can hurt the eyes, and fire burns." Davos then visits Stannis, who has composed a letter he intends to distribute throughout the realm. It proclaims Joffrey, Myrcella and Tommen bastards born of incest, and names Stannis the rightful heir to Robert’s throne. Davos and his sons are to carry the letters to the coastal towns, but the Onion Knight tells Stannis to remove the part about ‘the Lord of Light’ in the letter. Stannis rebuffs him, saying he appeases the Red Woman because she has power.

In some other topic once I've read about connection of burning gods and Starks:

"The Maiden lay athwart the Warrior, her arms widespread as if to embrace him" - Sansa and Sandor

"The Mother seemed almost to shudder as the flames came licking up her face." - Catelyn and her fears.

"A longsword had been thrust through her heart, and its leather grip was alive with flame." - Killed and alive with flame (kiss of life)

"The Father was on the bottom, the first to fall."- Ned died first

"Davos watched the hand of the Stranger writhe and curl as the fingers blackened and fell away one by one, reduced to so much glowing charcoal. "- Jon's burned fingers

Much later "The head fell off the Smith with a puff of ash and embers." - Robb lost his head. It happened after Stannis pulled out the sword (got his army by Storm's End) and after he dropped it (after the battle at the blackwater, where he lost).

We have more burning foreshadows: Davos thinks "Many and more would burn before this war was done". ..before this Book is done would be more appropriate :P

Also patchface says:“Under the sea, smoke rises in bubbles, and flames burn green and blue and black,â€

A thought occurred to me about AA. In prophecy he was mentioned as a warrior, not as a hero. Coincidence? I don't think so (later on Davos thinks that he could not be AA reborn, because"I am not made of the stuff of heroes").

What I'm trying to say is that there can be connection between the burning warrior (Sandor IMO) and AA reborn. Could it really be Sandor. I mean, Sandor also had three stages of life. His childhood was first part - disaster, being Joff's (Lion's) Sworn sword was second part - also disaster, and now as a gravedigger is third part.

Also, It could be Dany:)

Thoughts of chapter:

I like the ill feeling this chapter gives about Stannis burning the old Gods. It really sounds as a wrong thing to do. And I don't like his explanation for doing it. Chapter gives us the feeling that things will go bad, and when I thought that it will be with Renly, I was wrong. Then later, when I thought that he will win at KL, I was wrong again. I love the way Martin writes his stuff

Whenever I read that section, I always try to associate each god to a Stark, but it never makes much sense because I always think of Robb as the Warrier. Your interpretation of Sandor as the Warrior and Robb as the Smith makes much more sense.

If Sandor is AA reborn, does that mean he'll have to kill Sansa at some point?

If Sandor is AA reborn, does that mean he'll have to kill Sansa at some point?
Now that would be a scene.

But I don't think so. It is said he will draw sword from fire. And Sandor is scared as hell of fire. He will probably have to go over his fear to get the sword

Very insightful about the different gods being a person in the story.

Could the Smith more obviously be some foreshadowing of Gendry?

I see no reason for that, but it can be. After all, Robb was maker (Smith) of new North Kingdom

Only thing I'm wondering is weather Warrior is a Stark. Only remaining characters are Rickon, Bran and Arya.

We can exclude Arya, because she and Sansa never got along, and Sansa would not embrace her.

Do we know relationship Sansa had with Bran and Rickon. Knowing Bran is lame, and Rickon being young when Sansa was in Winterfell (which might mean Rickon was her dear little brother), warrior could be Rickon, but it is kinda hard to imagine Rickon being AA.

OTOH, in GOT when Cat begs Ned to leave Bran in Winterfell, ned says about Bran:"He is a sweet boy, quick to laugh, easy to love", so maybe Sansa was embracing him. Also, in GoT, when he looked into the Heart of Winter 3EC told him: "now you know why you must live" - maybe that means to be AA and kill the Great Other. But Bran, being lame, will wield Lightbringer pretty hard.

The Warrior maybe is Arya. I'm not pushing this idea - just brainstorming out loud and trying to decipher this entire concept you brought out - which I think is very good.

I have been re-reading ASOS - Catelyn goes to the Sept in a small town near Renley's encampment outside of Storms End. Just after the meeting of Stannis and Renley. Cat is looking at the 7 gods - all drawn in charcoal. When she looks at the Warior she sees the faces of the knights - "Renley and Stannis, Robb and Robt, Jaime Lannister and Jon Snow; she even glimpsed Arya in those lines, just for an instant."

I do like the idea of the Hound being the Warrior tho, as you state. Makes for a very interesting upcoming story. And Jon is the Stranger -"the Outcast, the wanderer, could be male or female". Jon has always been the outcast.

I kinda think Bran could be warrior and AA, based on what I've said before. It is very hard to imagine that, but it was hard to imagine that Joff ordered Bran's murder, and that Lysa murdered her husband.

But, as the wise man said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just wanted to add something. If Dany is Warrior, maybe Sansa will be the one who will accept her when she comes back

• 2 months later...

Davos (II)

Introduced: Ser Cortnay Penrose* (Castellan of Storm’s End, fostering Edric Storm; murdered by Lady Melisandre's shadow-binding arts);

Lord Alester Florent* (Lord of Brightwater Keep, uncle of Queen Selyse, Ser Imry, and Delena Norcross, brother of Ser Axell, the late Ser Ryam, and Ser Colin, father of Lady Melessa Tarly and Lady Rhea Hightower; bannerman to Highgarden, joins King Stannis after Renly’s death, later Hand of King Stannis and then imprisoned for treason; burned as a sacrifice to R'hllor by the Red Woman);

Ser Bryan Fossoway* (of the red apple Fossoways from Cider Hall; slain by Lothor Brune);

Lady Shyra Errol (Lady of Haystack Hall, bannerlady to Storm’s End, joins King Stannis).

First Mentioned: Lord Elwood Meadows (second to Ser Cortnay, later second to the new castellan of Storm’s End, Lord of Grassy Vale, a cousin to the Fossoways).

Ser Davos has recently returned to Stannis’ fleet after delivering the king’s message throughout the realm. He learns that Stannis has been having terrible nightmares, and that only Lady Melisandre can soothe him to sleep. She has been sharing his pavilion of late, and he wonders what ways she has to soothe him to sleep. Ser Cortnay Penrose arrives to parley with Stannis, and he scorns the king and all his new-found allies who had so recently been sworn to Renly. He especially mocks Lord Alester Florent, for not only changing sides, but changing gods as well. Ser Cortnay will not accept Stannis’ demands, and will not surrender Storm’s End nor Robert’s bastard Edric Storm. The Castellan throws his gauntlet in King Stannis’ face, and proposes single combat to settle the issue. Stannis rejects him, stating he will take the castle by storm if he must, to which Ser Cortnay responds, "Bring on your storm- and recall, if you do, the name of this castle." Stannis dismisses all his men save Davos, seeking the former smuggler’s advice. Davos states his respect for Ser Cortnay, who kept his faith, unlike all these new lords in Stannis’ army. Stannis dislikes them as much, but he needs their strength in order to win his throne. Stannis sent Ser Parmen Crane to Bitterbridge to gather the rest of Renly’s army, but there was no word since. Stannis tells him that he grieves for his brother Renly, and dreams of a green pavilion and the manner of Renly’s death, even though he was in bed at the time of Renly’s demise. Stannis says, "…but I did love him, Davos. I know that now. I swear, I will go to my grave thinking of my brother’s peach."

Davos advises him to strike for King’s Landing at once, but Stannis will not leave Storm’s End untaken in his rear, for men will consider him defeated there. Stannis then tells Davos that he must have the boy Edric Storm, Melisandre has seen it in her flames; and she has also seen Ser Cortnay’s death in her flames, as she had seen Renly’s at Dragonstone. The king commands Davos to bring Melisandre by boat under the cover of darkness beneath Storm’s End, as he had done some 15 years before. That night, Davos is sickened by what he must do for his king. He asks Melisandre if she is good or evil, and she responds, "Oh, good. I am a knight of sorts myself. A champion of light and life." Davos calls her a liar, for she means to kill a man this very night, as she killed Maester Cressen and Renly. The Red Woman responds that the maester poisoned himself, and that she had nothing to do with Renly’s death. However, she later admits that Renly was unprotected, but that the walls of Storm’s End had spells woven into the stones, and that no shadow can pass from the outside. When Davos proclaims that a shadow is a thing of darkness, Melisandre rebuffs him, stating that shadows don’t exist in the dark, they are servants of light and fire, provided by her god, R’hllor. When they arrive at a gate in a water tunnel beneath the castle, Melisandre disrobes, and Davos watches in horror as the now pregnant woman gives birth to a shadow, and Davos recognizes the man who had cast it…

Do we ever find out what happened with the rest of the Stormland army at Bitterbridge? Do they end up fighting with the Tyrells and Lannisters at KL?

This is one of the great chapters for asking "What if?" What if Stannis would have listened to Davos and set off for KL immediately? They probably would have captured KL, but would they have been able to hold it? Maybe with KL captured, the Tyrells ally with Stannis instead of Tywin.

You get the sense that Mel is using half-truths and lies in her conversation with Davos.

• 1 month later...

Davos (III)

Introduced: Ser Imry Florent* (Lord High Captain of King Stannis’ fleet, brother of Queen Selyse, nephew of Lord Alester Florent and Ser Axell; perished in the Battle of the Blackwater);

Maric* (Ser Davos’ fourth son, oarmaster of Fury; drowned when the Fury sunk);

Matthos* (Ser Davos’ third son, second-in-command of Davos’ ship Black Betha; went down with his ship on the Blackwater).

Davos’ ship Black Betha is in the second line on the right as Stannis’ great fleet enters Blackwater Bay. He sees that the city defenders have few enough ships, but the shore is well fortified, and dozens of catapults and archers line the walls of the cities. Davos is glad to know that Stannis sent Melisandre back to Dragonstone, because the king feared the commonfolk would say it was the sorceress who won the battle. As they pass two winch towers on either side of the headwaters of the channel entering the Blackwater Rush, Davos fears a chain boom, which he sees exists, but it is not raised. The old sailor is curious, but there is little time to consider what it means. Fighting breaks out, and despite his inexperience, Ser Imry Florent’s battle plans seem to be working well, until the barge with the wildfire in it explodes. The channel turns into a ruin of hundreds of ships, many burning from the unquenchable green liquid. Davos goes overboard as hundreds of both Stannis’ and Joffrey’s men die screaming in the green blaze. As the mass of ships and debris begin to float back out to sea and Davos hopes he can reach the open sea, he sees the great chain boom raised closing off the Blackwater Rush!

• 10 months later...

One question I had which hopefully you guys can help me with:

During the part where Davos smuggles Melisandre into Storm's End so she can use her sorcery to kill Penrose, it says that Davos recognized the shadow Mel gave birth to. I can only assume he means Stannis' shadow, is this correct?

The reason why this confused me a little (if it is meant to be Stannis' shadow) is that Stannis genuinely seemed to not have taken part in Renly's murder, which was perpetrated by a shadow as well - I don't remember exactly what part of the book it is, but Stannis tells Davos that he was asleep and dreaming when Renly was killed, and it seemed like he was telling the truth.

So, if it is Stannis' shadow which does Melisandre's dirty work, is he not conscious of his participation? Does she somehow use his shadow without his knowledge or consent? Did Stannis know that his shadow killed Penrose even if he didn't know he killed Renly? Or is it a different shadow that kills Renly?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Archived