Still More MLB

Jaxom 1974

Dunno if anybody cares, but crazy Sox-Yanks game going right now. Red Sox go up 7-2, in part thanks to mediocre pitching and godawful defense by the Yankees, and the Yankees have hung up 6 runs on the Sox in the 8th (so far; still nobody out, 1 man on) to take the lead, 8-7.

I don't have any studies on hand. I'm fairly certain it's been proven, statistically, that there is a gap and it has been widening. It seems to be pretty profound now. Wily Mo Pena looked fucking hapless against the breaking ball in the AL. I still think with consistent time he could have hit 30 HRs in the AL, but he wasn't close to that this year. 75 OPS+ in the AL. Dude is knocking them ..out every 10.4 ABs in the NL East. 3-4 tonight with a 2B and a SB. One dude, small sample, sure. But, Arroyo 109 ERA+ guy during his years as a starter for the Sox. He's a 130 ERA+ guy in the NL thus far. Lilly isn't as profound, but in his AL career he was essentially a 100 ERA+/league average starter. He looks much better than that in the NL. Randy Johnson put up an 88 ERA+ last year in the AL, he looked like he was fucking toast and, pre-injury, had a 123 ERA+ in the NL West. Teixeira has, in half the ABs, nearly matched his seasonal HR total from the AL in the NL.

That is all anecdotal evidence, but they're just the first few of many that come to mind. Took Beckett a 5.00 ERA year to adjust. It makes sense, too, none of the division leaders in the NL would win their respective division in the AL. It's interesting shit, too. I'd love for Baseball Prospectus or someone to take a closer look at it.

I cant post on this now, but I will tomorrow. Its a bit inappropriate to argue both superior hitting and pitching OPS+/ERA+ at the same time, seing as though they are mutually exclusive, or zero sum. I wold be willing to try to see what I can dig up on baseball reference for the past 5 years of interleague play, as Id consider that enough PAs to make a educated guess as to whether there really is a talent gap.

BP seems content on tooting its own horn and making 'funny' tongue-in-cheek corrollaries. Sabermatricians make me want to puke. The Sam Horn club does too. But Id agree that the only resource to discus a talent gap between leagues would be to go to the stat heads.

BP seems content on tooting its own horn and making 'funny' tongue-in-cheek corrollaries. Sabermatricians make me want to puke. The Sam Horn club does too. But Id agree that the only resource to discus a talent gap between leagues would be to go to the stat heads.

I don't think anyone believes that Baseball Prospectus, SoSH or Baseball Think Factory or what have you are infallible, but I think there are a lot of interesting ideas coming out of those places. Does the stat community (for all pro-sports) have egotistical assholes? Sure, but there's more good/interesting shit done than bad. At least they're trying to raise the level of discourse and understand why the game works the way it does. That's infinitely more interesting than talk radio bullshit like hustle, intangibles, chemistry, obsessing about strike out totals (for hitters), bunting and SBs. And, it's not as though people, like myself, who adore statistical analysis are anti-scout. A combination of the two is clearly the best and it seems like a lot of successful GMs agree with that. Stats are fucking awesome.

I don't think anyone believes that Baseball Prospectus, SoSH or Baseball Think Factory or what have you are infallible, but I think there are a lot of interesting ideas coming out of those places. Does the stat community (for all pro-sports) have egotistical assholes? Sure, but there's more good/interesting shit done than bad. At least they're trying to raise the level of discourse and understand why the game works the way it does. That's infinitely more interesting than talk radio bullshit like hustle, intangibles, chemistry, obsessing about strike out totals (for hitters), bunting and SBs. And, it's not as though people, like myself, who adore statistical analysis are anti-scout. A combination of the two is clearly the best and it seems like a lot of successful GMs agree with that. Stats are fucking awesome.

Baseball is awesome. Stats are just stats.

I don't know if people in this thread are aware of it, but the Yankees have this dude named Joba Chamberlain in their bullpen.

Joba. Joba Rules. Joba. Joba. Joba Rules. Joba. Joba. Joba. Jesus Christ.

C'mon, dude, 2006 was the year of the Papelboner; let 2007 be the year of Joba the Chamberlain. It happens. And he's been pretty damn good.

C'mon, dude, 2006 was the year of the Papelboner; let 2007 be the year of Joba the Chamberlain. It happens. And he's been pretty damn good.

Yeah, he's real good. I don't mind Joba getting his due. It's only really a problem because the Joba ballwashing is piled on top of the usual Jeter ballwashing. And, I'm pretty sure they said all this shit yesterday on Fox. Hee.

How bout that Geo Soto? You have to love Matt Murton staying focused this year when hes pretty much gotten dicked around.

If you would have told me a few months ago that Kerry Wood would throw in in both ends of a day-nighter, I wouldnt have believed it.

Mike Quade continues the Cubs tradition of employing the absolute worst 3rd base coaches in the history of the game. Is this a thing with every team? Does every third base coach suck, or is it just ours?

Lets sweep three from the Reds.

Go Stros!

Yeah, he's real good. I don't mind Joba getting his due. It's only really a problem because the Joba ballwashing is piled on top of the usual Jeter ballwashing. And, I'm pretty sure they said all this shit yesterday on Fox. Hee.

Just what we need. Joba the Hutt (there are no other acceptable nicknames) seems like a punk bitch, too, so national media riding his balls is surprising. Sailing two in a row over Youkilis' head and then trying to act like it wasn't on purpose was a punk bitch thing to do. I already had a natural dislike of him due to him being on the Yankees, but now I'll hate him for his whole career.

But baseball stats are awesome times two. :)

There is no stat for laying down a bunt, hitting a cutoff man, or getting from first to third on a single. Those are three true outcomes that never get discussed in the rotoworld.

Dirk Lance,

I recently heard a very convincing statistical argument, complete with the usual stat-head demeaning/arragont accent, about how Carlos Guillen is as effective as Derek Jeter. I know Jeter is overrated, but there are clearly some things about baseball that only the naked eye can see.

I also find some of the stuff completely non-sensical. I'll concede certian things have a point, like DIPS, but they dont tell the whole story that most sabers think they do.

There is no stat for laying down a bunt, hitting a cutoff man, or getting from first to third on a single. Those are three true outcomes that never get discussed in the rotoworld.

True - that's why I *watch* the games instead of just reading box scores (but I do like reading the box scores an awful lot). My older brother, also a big baseball fan, used to refer to me as "the stats rat."

Back on top.

Im enjoying this season quite a bit.

I think 6 more wins locks it up. It would force the Crew to go 8-3, and I dont see that happening.

By the way, Atlanta is throwing some kid who hasnt pitched since 2004, and only then a handful of innings, against the Brewers tonight. Fuck Atlanta and Houston. Personally, I dont give a shit if you are having a kid or not, you take the ball on the fifth day, Oswalt. That rotation shake-up was horseshit.

Its no secret that the NL Central teams, as well as the commishioners office, would rather see the Brew Crew win this thing. Jealous fucks.

Go Braves!

Well, I'd be enjoying it a lot more if there was more like 8 games seperating the Brewers and the Cubs, you know? :P

And you know the naming of Marquis as the potential game 163 starter is either a brilliant ploy by Lou to psych out the Brewers into stumbling, or it's a virtual garauntee that they'll end up playing that game...

And you know the naming of Marquis as the potential game 163 starter is either a brilliant ploy by Lou to psych out the Brewers into stumbling, or it's a virtual garauntee that they'll end up playing that game...

Remember the Trachsel game 163 back in 1998? 6.1 IP, 1H, 0ER. He shut em down. Remember?

Its no secret that the NL Central teams, as well as the commishioners office, would rather see the Brew Crew win this thing.

:agree:

Not so much out of jealousy, but more out of pity. I mean, it's been 25 years since Harvey's Wallbangers. Throw the poor far north suburban squad a bone, will you?

:agree:

Not so much out of jealousy, but more out of pity. I mean, it's been 25 years since Harvey's Wallbangers. Throw the poor far north suburban squad a bone, will you?

As if 99 years of futility for the Cubs wasn't enough, now we have to "throw a bone" to Cubs North because it's been 25 years? BAH!

That was just sour grapes, right, Wedge? :P

(Ironically the 99th reply in this thread...)

Archived