Question about armies

• 1 month later...

What about Renly? He had 60,000 foot which is too much, unless he took everybody.

Well in Renlys case he had The combined strength of both the Reach and The Stormlands, Both of these regions being two of the most populated in all of westeros. It may be that Renly too may have just 'scooped the cream' and not 'scraped the barrel'.

Well in Renlys case he had The combined strength of both the Reach and The Stormlands, Both of these regions being two of the most populated in all of westeros. It may be that Renly too may have just 'scooped the cream' and not 'scraped the barrel'.

Are you sure? Because I think that Martin himself has said that the Stormlands don't really have that much power in them. Or I could be wrong...

Are you sure? Because I think that Martin himself has said that the Stormlands don't really have that much power in them. Or I could be wrong...

You're right; the Stormlands are actually one of the least populated regions and the their forces are about half those of the Lannisters or Starks, even at full strength. And, in this particular case, Renly didn't even have the entire force to himself, although the overwhelming majority sided with him over Stannis.

That said, the Tyrells by themselves could field an army to take on any two houses and with the Stormland forces that Renly brought with him they would have likely run roughshod over either Tywin, Robb or Stannis (hence, the need for Melisandre to do away with that inconvenient reality).

You're right; the Stormlands are actually one of the least populated regions and the their forces are about half those of the Lannisters or Starks, even at full strength. And, in this particular case, Renly didn't even have the entire force to himself, although the overwhelming majority sided with him over Stannis.

That said, the Tyrells by themselves could field an army to take on any two houses and with the Stormland forces that Renly brought with him they would have likely run roughshod over either Tywin, Robb or Stannis (hence, the need for Melisandre to do away with that inconvenient reality).

I wouldn't say the Stormlands are at HALF the Starks in terms of army size. That's where I would peg Dorne. At about 25,000 vs the Starks 45,000-50,000.

I'd put the Stormlands at about 30,000.

Didn't Renly have closer to 100 000 men when Cat went to be Robb's diplomat.

I'm sure the North could've mustered a lot more than 18000 men to go to war but apparently Robb was in a bit of a rush

But when Jon and Stannis are chatting away at the wall, I just got the impression that there wasn't that many soldiers left but considering the size

of Westeros and especially the North I would expect much much bigger armies. The Lannisters had around 50-60 000 between Jaime and Tywin's armies....

Even though the Lannisters are rich and respected and feared. How can they have mustered close to triple the size of the Stark host?

The Tyrells seem to be in a great position to take over the realm and will probably side with Aegon and the Golden Company soon enough.

Im sure the Starks would have probably have at least twice the number of troops that they went south with but just from reading through Jon's and Theon/Reek's POV I just don't get the feeling that the North has another 20-30 000 troops for war but I'd gladly be wrong.

Didn't Renly have closer to 100 000 men when Cat went to be Robb's diplomat.

I'm sure the North could've mustered a lot more than 18000 men to go to war but apparently Robb was in a bit of a rush

But when Jon and Stannis are chatting away at the wall, I just got the impression that there wasn't that many soldiers left but considering the size

of Westeros and especially the North I would expect much much bigger armies. The Lannisters had around 50-60 000 between Jaime and Tywin's armies....

Even though the Lannisters are rich and respected and feared. How can they have mustered close to triple the size of the Stark host?

The Tyrells seem to be in a great position to take over the realm and will probably side with Aegon and the Golden Company soon enough.

Im sure the Starks would have probably have at least twice the number of troops that they went south with but just from reading through Jon's and Theon/Reek's POV I just don't get the feeling that the North has another 20-30 000 troops for war but I'd gladly be wrong.

Mountain clans - 3,000 men

Dustins - 5,000 men

Ryswells - 3,000 men

Manderly - 10,000 men

Skagos - 2000 men

Reeds - 2000 men

Various remnants of other lords armies (Glovers, Karstarks, Umbers, Tallharts, Flints, Lockes, Cerwyns, Mormonts etc) - 5000 men

That's about 30,000 men in addition to the 18,000 that went south with Robb.

really need to learn the houses in the North.

How many men due the Boltons have at the end of ADWD?

About 3500 of their own men, about 2000 Freys, and however many men the Manderlys, Ryswells, Dustins and other Northern Houses have sent to attend the wedding at Winterfell.

My guess is that most of the other Houses sent only the minimum numbers to the wedding. The hardcore Bolton forces are basically his own men plus the Freys. So about 6000 men that have to be killed, and then the rest of the lords will support Rickon Stark with all their power.

I know this is a little off topic but I was reading quickly with Lady Dustin and Theon down the crypts of Winterfell. Why does Lady Dustin dislike Eddard so much?

Do you believe that Jon could survive and lead let's say a mixture of NW and Wildings host? The wildings could could really bolster the Northern ranks if they were given lands like The Gift.

I know this is a little off topic but I was reading quickly with Lady Dustin and Theon down the crypts of Winterfell. Why does Lady Dustin dislike Eddard so much?

Do you believe that Jon could survive and lead let's say a mixture of NW and Wildings host? The wildings could could really bolster the Northern ranks if they were given lands like The Gift.

This is a common misconception. The wildling warriors number less than 2000 at the moment. That's less than any one of the major Northern Houses can raise on their own. They are insiginificant in the bigger scheme of things.

• 2 weeks later...

Mountain clans - 3,000 men

Dustins - 5,000 men

Ryswells - 3,000 men

Manderly - 10,000 men

Skagos - 2000 men

Reeds - 2000 men

Various remnants of other lords armies (Glovers, Karstarks, Umbers, Tallharts, Flints, Lockes, Cerwyns, Mormonts etc) - 5000 men

That's about 30,000 men in addition to the 18,000 that went south with Robb.

About 3500 of their own men, about 2000 Freys, and however many men the Manderlys, Ryswells, Dustins and other Northern Houses have sent to attend the wedding at Winterfell.

Are these figures we know as fact or simply speculation? I do remember the figure for the Freys being thrown around by various characters but I don't remember any of the others.

No, but the thought of complaining to Lord Bolton will.

Lol, but bolton is in no position to kill soldiers for such little reasons, morale is already low enough.

Archived