Last Man Standing contest?

kyleM

[b]================================================================================
TOURNAMENT RESULTS!!!!
================================================================================[/b]

[b]Ser Arthur Dayne "The Sword of the Morning" Reigns Supreme!!![/b]
The Silver goes to Barristan "The Bold" Selmy
and Bronze goes to Robert "The King" Baratheon

great tournament everyone!

[b]================================================================================
ULTIMATE FINAL!!!! - VOTE NOW!!!!!
================================================================================

(1) Ser Arthur Dayne "The Sword of the Morning" vs The Other [/b]

(i.e. not the Great Other since he's seems to be some sort of God and better off matched up against Rhlor, this is the champion of the Others)

VOTE NOW!!!!!
================================================================================[/b]

my vote:

[b](1) Ser Arthur Dayne "The Sword of the Morning" [/b]vs The Other

Can't wait to see Dawn match up against an Other blade.

I think Arthur is better, so it comes down to hardware, and I'm betting on Dawn holding up, and melting some Other flesh.
I don't know if there is any Dragonsteel involved with Dawn, but I'm hoping whatever comet it was made out of is effective.

I'm not sure that a single Other could kill Dayne through swordsmanship alone, but Dayne sure couldn't take down an Other, unless Dawn possesses some abilities we don't yet know about, so far the Others have been shown to be impervious to all but Obsidian.

-Poobs

[quote name='Poobah' post='1390038' date='Jun 9 2008, 10.38']I'm not sure that a single Other could kill Dayne through swordsmanship alone, but Dayne sure couldn't take down an Other, unless Dawn possesses some abilities we don't yet know about, so far the Others have been shown to be impervious to all but Obsidian.

-Poobs[/quote]

while that's true, there has been a lot of discussion as to whether Valyrian Steel will kill them.
Jon wielding LongClaw is interesting to note, we can't assume that Obsidian is the only thing that's effective against them.

my thought is, Valyrian steel will work, and Dragon Fire will work.
and I'm hoping Dawn will work, only because I'd hate to think an Other could walk thru this tournament we've spent weeks on.

[quote name='DocBean' post='1389999' date='Jun 9 2008, 09.22']Well, PuroGeo thanks for a great bracket, but there was a lot of discussion on why some people were ranked where they were.

I've defended your bracket Valiantly if I do say so myself.

[u][b]
THAT'S IT END OF THE FINALS - I'LL TALLEY THEY UP PRETTY SOON AND WE'LL START THE OTHER CHALLENGE!!!![/b][/u][/quote]

I imagine most of the arguing was probably over Oberyn and Bronn's rankings? If had to do it over, I would put Bronn maybe a little higher. I think he is just a good as fighter as Oberyn. He had the same idea about how to go about killing Gregor, hell he may would have actually won because he wouldn't let his hatred get in his way at the end.

I wish I wouldn't have put Aerion Brightflame in the bracket, and I think Iron Emmet was seeded to high. And for anybody that doubt Robert Baratheon and his mighty warhammer, he could have whipped anybody's ass in his prime. I wished I would have put Florian the Fool in the tournament. I plan on making a team tournament one day (Arthur Dayne & Hightower vs Loras & Garlan Tyrell for example). That would be hard thinking of 64 good teams though.

[quote name='PuroGeo' post='1391379' date='Jun 9 2008, 21.48']I imagine most of the arguing was probably over Oberyn and Bronn's rankings? If had to do it over, I would put Bronn maybe a little higher. I think he is just a good as fighter as Oberyn. He had the same idea about how to go about killing Gregor, hell he may would have actually won because he wouldn't let his hatred get in his way at the end.

I wish I wouldn't have put Aerion Brightflame in the bracket, and I think Iron Emmet was seeded to high. And for anybody that doubt Robert Baratheon and his mighty warhammer, he could have whipped anybody's ass in his prime. I wished I would have put Florian the Fool in the tournament. I plan on making a team tournament one day (Arthur Dayne & Hightower vs Loras & Garlan Tyrell for example). That would be hard thinking of 64 good teams though.[/quote]

Yeah Oberyn and Bronn were brought up, but my thought was Bronn hasn't realy done enough to warrent a higher seed.
Daemon Blackfyre was probably brought up more often though. That line about him being the Warrior with a sword was enough for most people to think he deserved at least a 2 if not a 1.

I'd love to see a Team challenge competition.
Robert and Ned all the way!!!

Robert did kick some butt in this one, he just had the unfortunate matchup against Ser Arthur Dayne. He took out Sandor earlier on and Jaime for the Bronze.

To be honest, I'm more concerned about Dagmer Cleftjaw and Victarion Greyjoy. Dagmer was described by Theon as the best fighter in the Iron Islands when he was a boy, and the Cleftjaw replies that now it's Andrik the Unsmiling and someone else I can't remember...

Victarion, though, isn't mentioned. What makes him such a good fighter?

[quote name='Szar' post='1392264' date='Jun 10 2008, 11.09']To be honest, I'm more concerned about Dagmer Cleftjaw and Victarion Greyjoy. Dagmer was described by Theon as the best fighter in the Iron Islands when he was a boy, and the Cleftjaw replies that now it's Andrik the Unsmiling and someone else I can't remember...

Victarion, though, isn't mentioned. What makes him such a good fighter?[/quote]

The ass kicking that he dolls out onboard one of the Tyrell's ships in AFFC, I believe.

[quote name='Sandor's_Mandy1' post='1392283' date='Jun 10 2008, 19.24']The ass kicking that he dolls out onboard one of the Tyrell's ships in AFFC, I believe.[/quote]

So you're saying people ignore evidence in favor of what's cool.

Rule of Cool really doesn't apply to ASOIAF. >_>

(1) [b]Ser Arthur Dayne "The Sword of the Morning"[/b] vs The Other

Remember, Waymar Royce holds his own against an Other for a while in the prologue, and he was fairly inexperienced, with a regular sword.

[quote name='Szar' post='1392461' date='Jun 10 2008, 13.11']So you're saying people ignore evidence in favor of what's cool.

Rule of Cool really doesn't apply to ASOIAF. >_>[/quote]

That's why I put him so high...because he did some major ass kicking on them ships. Honestly, I wasn't really think of how tough Dagmer was in "his prime" when making out the brackets, he probably should have been higher. That was unfair of me and I did other characters the same way. Eddard for example.

Still, I think Victarion would be a scary man to have to face in a fight.

OTHER CHALLENGE RESULTS!!!!
================================================================================
[/b]

SER ARTHUR DAYNE KILLS THE OTHER!!!
Dawn bit thru that shinny blade like it does any other, and once it hit home it melted thru the Other like a warm blade thru butter.

It's been decided, swords made from celestial comets are effective against the Others.
Now if we could just make a few more of those.

Thanks for playing everyone!!
keep your eyes peeled for future Last Man (Or last duo) Standing Contests.
Thanks go out to the guy that started this fun thread, the guy that seeded our contestants - who's seedings I stole, and everyone who voted.

This is DocBean reminding you to have your pets spayed or neutered.

THE END
[/b]

• 7 months later...

Archived