ASOIAF vs WOT

Andhaira

[quote name='Shryke' post='1597617' date='Nov 22 2008, 23.58']They're not. D&D gets it's spells, WOT gets it's spells.[/quote]

And why would D&D spells work in the WOT universe, or vice versa? At least Westerosi cavalry vs Aiel archers is potentially amusing fannish speculation, but I really don't think there's any point in comparing gods or magic abilities unless you're talking about a shared-world universe with the same basic assumptions about how those things operate (Smackdown: Archmage! Dragonlance vs Forgotten Realms).

[quote name='Werthead' post='1597628' date='Nov 23 2008, 00.11']If this thread doesn't get on the Fanwank website I will feel personally affronted :P[/quote]

Heh. :) It might provide JournalFen readers with a refreshing break from all the Twilight-related madness.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1597439' date='Nov 22 2008, 18.04']Wrong magic.[/quote]

Not at all. She has dominion over *all magic in the FR*.

If someone comes from elsewhere and enters Toril's Crystal Sphere (I'm fairly certain that's the limit of her power in this regard) she decides what magic works and what doesen't.

Now, admittedly she wouldn't be able to go to Randland and do the same thing, but on *her* turf she makes the rules.

[quote]Just get a group together, grab some Choden Kal, and then fire the biggest tickest strem of Balefire straight through the portal or whatever into D&D world. Doesn't matter what you hit really, just shut the door before the collapse of their reality starts fucking yours up.[/quote]

Because the potential destruction of the world is something that is going to be noticed *before it happens*. That's just how the FR gods work, and they'll move their pieces into play.

Heck, as an example, they would always have a few weeks *before Rand starts planning* and what they'd do would probably be to send someone in to steal or destroy the CK.

[quote]And why would D&D spells work in the WOT universe, or vice versa? At least Westerosi cavalry vs Aiel archers is potentially amusing fannish speculation, but I really don't think there's any point in comparing gods or magic abilities unless you're talking about a shared-world universe with the same basic assumptions about how those things operate (Smackdown: Archmage! Dragonlance vs Forgotten Realms).[/quote]

CBR actually has quite a few rules for how these things are supposed to be handled :P

[quote name='Galactus' post='1597659' date='Nov 22 2008, 17.00']Heck, as an example, they would always have a few weeks *before Rand starts planning* and what they'd do would probably be to send someone in to steal or destroy the CK.[/quote]

But that assumes their prediction abilities extend into Rand's universe.

[quote]But that assumes their prediction abilities extend into Rand's universe.[/quote]

By the same token, there is no reason to assume balefire would work in the FR :P The assumption would be that if it works on one end it works in another. (you might have a point that eg. steddings might not block FR-style magic and channelers can still channel in dead-magic zones, but even so that's a dubious proposition.

[quote name='Galactus' post='1598347' date='Nov 23 2008, 18.25']By the same token, there is no reason to assume balefire would work in the FR :P The assumption would be that if it works on one end it works in another. (you might have a point that eg. steddings might not block FR-style magic and channelers can still channel in dead-magic zones, but even so that's a dubious proposition.[/quote]

No, I'm saying these gods would need to be aware of this other world in order to predict anything in it.

Once they are, their not going to have a ton of time to react if we assume both sides are going for the big showy stuff.

Once he has made up his mind, don't confuse him with logic. :lol: ;)

For Balefire to work, there must be a Pattern. If other worlds have no Pattern, then no Balefire. Plus, there are substances, even in Randland, that deflect or are immune to balefire. To assume that other [b]High Magic[/b] worlds would not have similar things is myopic in the extreme.

For a lesson in how things work when doing cross setting migration, see the Thomas Covenant series. ;) White gold is powerless and relatively ubiquitous in our world. In that world, it is massively powerful and unbelievably rare.

[quote]No, I'm saying these gods would need to be aware of this other world in order to predict anything in it.[/quote]

No, not really. They'd just have to be aware of the fact that something from another world is going to impact the FR within a portion of the future. Then start casting divination spells.

[quote]Once they are, their not going to have a ton of time to react if we assume both sides are going for the big showy stuff.[/quote]

If it comes down to reactions, Randland loses. Quite simply. One of the niftier abilities of gods is the ability to A) Never be surprised B) always win initiative. In essence, the gods get to move first. Presumably their first order of business would be to wipe out anyone on the other side of the portal the moment it goes online.

[quote name='Miryana Storm' post='1597647' date='Nov 22 2008, 14.34']Heh. :) It might provide JournalFen readers with a refreshing break from all the Twilight-related madness.[/quote]
Pfft. I'm still waiting for the [i]Twilight[/i] movie blow-out, and so far I've been very, very disappointed...

Plus, we did get on Fandom Wank recently, but it was mostly about Mister Manticore and Dareon (?) waffling about the colour of dreams :rolleyes: Clearly the wanka reporting the wank never read the Election threads ;)

Archived