Mafia's Diamond Jubilee - Game 60

HT Reddy

[quote name='Trinity Hall' post='1619448' date='Dec 14 2008, 18.24']However, your argument against Selwyn was, if I recall correctly, based on him reiterating other people's arguments and yet not making a vote.[/quote]

You're only half right - part of it was about him just repeating safe arguments that had already been made against Clare. But the other part was based on him being wishy washy about Wolfson.

[quote name='Trinity']Selwyn has now placed their vote and stated who their top two suspects are (while voting for suspect number 2 - slightly odd but understandable). While their is still a thin veneer of suspicion on Selwyn, I think he has managed to negate your arguments through actions.[/quote]

Well, now thats an interesting interpretation of events. He came back and made all of 1 post after St. Johns and I voted for him. Here it is -

[quote name='Selwyn']just a fly-by post, stuff in RL is startin to pick up and i have to get going. in retrospect i can see why my post looks so bad, but i actually thought i was bein helpful, sorry about that. im not sure when im gonna get back so ill put a vote for [b]wolfson[/b] down. youre probably gonna say im jumpin on the wagon or something, but i prbly wont b back till tomorrow and since puttin a vote down on Clare seems like it would b a waste of a vote ill put it on my 2nd choice.[/quote]

So you think that negated my arguments? Really? Because to me, it actually served to make me more suspicious of Selwyn.

1) He's opting for a compromise lynch. And he's actually serious about it. Based on something (he doesn't explain what), he has concluded that we're more likely to lynch Wolfson than Clare. And he's apparently not going to be back for 30+ hours, so he goes for the compromise of voting for Wolfson.

2) He's responding to my suspicion about him being too wishy washy by taking a stance against Wolfson. From my perspective, he's caving much too easily, as if he wants to avoid an argument and get me off his back.

What is it about his post that you feel negates my arguments against him?

[quote name='St Catherine's College' post='1619453' date='Dec 14 2008, 18.32']I'm pretty sure I voted for [b]Selwyn[/b].[/quote]

[quote name='St John's College' post='1619459' date='Dec 14 2008, 18.40']I have an outstanding vote for Selwyn too.[/quote]

Apparently, the mods don't want any of us to vote for Selwyn. Perhaps they're trying to keep one of their FM from being lynched on day 1? :P

right the vote counter is really screwwy and is only accepting some people's votes. (ie its not always changing the counts) so I am now doing this manually.

If I have missed your vote for whatever reason please vote again now.

It is day 1.

20 players remain: Clare College, Corpus Christi College, Emmanuel College, Girton College, Gonville and Caius College, Hughes Hall, King's College, Lucy Cavendish College, Magdalene College, New Hall, Pembroke College, Peterhouse, Queens' College, Robinson College, Selwyn College, Sidney Sussex College, St Catherine's College, St. John's College, Trinity Hall, Wolfson College.

11 votes are needed for a conviction or 10 to go to night.
3 vote for Selwyn College (Pembroke College, St Catherine's College, St. John's College)
2 votes for Clare College (Corpus Christi College, Emmanuel College)
2 votes for Wolfson College (Selwyn College, Magdalene College)
2 votes for King's College (Girton College, Wolfson College)
1 votes for Queens' College (, New Hall)
1 votes for Hughes Hall (, Clare College)
1 vote for Corpus Christi College (King's College)
1 vote for New Hall (Sidney Sussex College)
1 vote for Pembroke College (Hughes Hall)
1 vote for Peterhouse (Lucy Cavendish College)
1 vote for Sidney Sussex College (Trinity Hall)
1 vote for St. John's College (Peterhouse)

3 players have not voted: Gonville and Caius College, Queens' College, Robinson College.

Let me tell you all a story about a symp who dominated a mafia game. He relied on a few meta arguments to win the game, easily manipulating votes until he killed off innos, then used a tactic of laying low and being helpful and apologetic and saying his victims were acting like FM to cruise to victory.
Moral of the story is, IGMEOY, Pembroke.

[quote name='Trinity Hall' post='1619390' date='Dec 15 2008, 00.37']However, the thing I feel seems most out of place to me so far is SSC's vote on Wolf. As far as I can tell it is serious, and seems to be based upon the fact that The Man Who was a killer in the previous game and Wolf has a similar early posting profile to TMW. The other points made were related to him about 'spidey senses' and Wolf's nonchalance towards the accusations. I feel that a lot of this is baseless. Wolf's lack of substance to this point just suggests that he/she is not focused on the game at the moment. If this doesn't change then he may be suspicious but not at this point.

My vote at the moment goes to [b]SSC[/b]. I feel they have tried to orchestrate quite a bit. However, I think that they haven't actually provided the requisite substantiation.[/quote]

Both you and Emmanuel have misconstrued my entire point. I wasn't pinpointing Wolfson as evil because he had the highest point count. I anything one way or another about his affiliation.

What I did was point out that those with high post counts can be just as evil as those with low. I used TMW as an example with last game. But those with low post counts are deemed expendable. I have a low post count, thus I might be considered expendable whereas Wolfson has a high post count and probably wouldn't be lynched in the first few days just to lynch someone, even though he's contributed next to nothing. It's easy for killers to hide behind a high post count padded by early roleplay. That was my point, Wolfson was just an example.

My vote for Wolfson came at his attitude towards the accusation that he wasn't contributing and a subsequent vote by St. Catherine. It was a fairly serious vote St. Cat placed on him (or so it appeared) and yet his response to this serious vote wasn't to attempt to assuage fears but to post a sarcastic comment and rolleyes.

I'm not 100% how this is supposed to be "orchestrating". It would be orchestrating if I tried to push the subject in a serious manner. I didn't do that.

[quote name='Emmanuel College' post='1619396' date='Dec 15 2008, 00.45']We're not supposed to point out when people misrepresent things?[/quote]

Oh, you mean like this:

[quote name='Emmanuel College' post='1619300' date='Dec 14 2008, 23.32']"He's been too active early on. He must be evil!"[/quote]

You're being very rude Emmanuel, for little to no reasoning at all. Lets try to calm it down a bit, OK?

[quote name='Sidney Sussex College' post='1619486' date='Dec 14 2008, 20.05']Both you and Emmanuel have misconstrued my entire point. I wasn't pinpointing Wolfson as evil because he had the highest point count. I anything one way or another about his affiliation.

What I did was point out that those with high post counts can be just as evil as those with low. I used TMW as an example with last game. But those with low post counts are deemed expendable. I have a low post count, thus I might be considered expendable whereas Wolfson has a high post count and probably wouldn't be lynched in the first few days just to lynch someone, even though he's contributed next to nothing. It's easy for killers to hide behind a high post count padded by early roleplay. That was my point, Wolfson was just an example.

My vote for Wolfson came at his attitude towards the accusation that he wasn't contributing and a subsequent vote by St. Catherine. It was a fairly serious vote St. Cat placed on him (or so it appeared) and yet his response to this serious vote wasn't to attempt to assuage fears but to post a sarcastic comment and rolleyes.

I'm not 100% how this is supposed to be "orchestrating". It would be orchestrating if I tried to push the subject in a serious manner. I didn't do that.

Oh, you mean like this:

You're being very rude Emmanuel, for little to no reasoning at all. Lets try to calm it down a bit, OK?[/quote]

Can you point out where you claim you are voting him for vote-apathy and not because he's active? As that's not the impression I got from reading your post.

And is today opposite day? First it's high activity, now it's not panicking when voted. :rolleyes:

edit: If you want rid of my aggression, you'd better be prepared to prise it from my cold, dead hands.

[quote name='Sidney Sussex College' post='1619251' date='Dec 14 2008, 22.55']Maybe another vote will cure the nonchalant attitude. [b]Wolfson College[/b][/quote]

In response to this:

[quote name='Wolfson College' post='1619245' date='Dec 14 2008, 22.53']Does that incriminate me? Oh, I'm so worried at the moment. :smoking:

But I know...things...about you all. I stick by my vote.[/quote]

I was wrong, though, St. Cat hadn't voted for him, but it appeared to me to be a serious accusation.

For the record, I never said you were being aggressive. I said you were being rude. There is a difference.

[quote name='Sidney Sussex College' post='1619506' date='Dec 14 2008, 20.21']In response to this:

I was wrong, though, St. Cat hadn't voted for him, but it appeared to me to be a serious accusation.

For the record, I never said you were being aggressive. I said you were being rude. There is a difference.[/quote]

See, I read that as you voting him because of his attitude on your case.

As for accusing me of being rude rather than aggressive...
:bs:

Anyway, I have to go for a few hours.

[quote name='Emmanuel College' post='1619511' date='Dec 15 2008, 02.25']See, I read that as you voting him because of his attitude on your case.

As for accusing me of being rude rather than aggressive...
:bs:[/quote]

He never actually mentioned anything I wrote that I recall. And it wasn't a case, it was making a point.

And yeah, rude. You're free to call it bullshit just as I'm free to call it rude.

[quote name='St John's College' post='1619513' date='Dec 15 2008, 02.27']Can you people put an end to this argument so we can attempt to find the FM? *sighs*[/quote]

There are twenty players here... should we all get in line and follow your lead oh saintly one? Lead us to a proper discussion of how to find the bad guys, then.

I apologize St. John. Just minutes after I scold Emmanuel for being rude I replied in a rude manner to you.

I would volunteer to go through the last few pages and see if any reactions to the somewhat serious content stuck out at me, but the Survivor finale is on in a few minutes :P If the thread hasn't exploded with activity by morning (or in a few hours if I'm up for it), I willm commit to the task.

[quote name='St John's College' post='1619475' date='Dec 14 2008, 16.56']Moral of the story is, IGMEOY, Pembroke.[/quote]

If there weren't actual suspicious people hanging around, I'd try to lynch you for using obnoxiously long, uncommon acronyms. This isn't Mafiascum. I can take in-jokes, but no abbreviations longer than 3 letters if at all possible. :fence:

Also, whoever was using initials for player names, could you...not do this? It's confusing to those of us who have not memorized the entire player list. Thanks. :)

Not to have tunnelvision or anything, but I'm not unconvinced that Wolfson didn't try to pick an argument with Kings College about Kings' attitude in an effort to distract everyone from his own weird behavior. There's a long and thrilling tradition of non-personal, yet sarcastic behavior, and I don't see it as a sign of evil. Any argument that hinges on "X is an asshole/very nice and polite, and people only act like that if they [s]do[/s] [s]don't[/s] maybe want to be lynched" is...well, it's shaped like a ring. Or perhaps a disc. Either way, it's pretty fucking circular if you ask me, and no one's really going to be persuaded by it.

Edit: Sydney Sussex, no Survivor spoilers please. I can't watch it tonight and have to wait until tomorrow. :cry:

Well, on reading the thread, (Yeah all of it!*) the thing that stands out most for me right now is Emmanuel's ridiculous tough guy act. Looks to me as an attempt to establish themselves as someone not to be messed with nice and early so as to discourage less assertive players from taking a look at them later. I should point out that I don't really consider [s]rudeness[/s] bluntness to be a bad thing in mafia. I just feel Emmanuel's efforts so far come off as rather forced and not really warranted yet.

*Except pages 2-5. Laboured innuendo just isn't my thing.

[quote name='Hughes Hall' post='1619747' date='Dec 15 2008, 02.16']Luckily, not much happened during hours of my absence.

Emmanuel, your opinion is right, but you become tunnel-visioned. Why didn't you attack Girton, whose approach to the game is even more harmful than Lucy's?[/quote]

I'll have to go back and check that, but yeah I can get tunnel visioned... Not the first time I've been accused of that. Probably won't be the last either.

And I guess I should apologise to anyone who did find me rude. While I can't change my game, I guess I owe at least that much to keep things civil.

That said, I might not be too active in the next 24 hours or so. I'll try my best though.

It is day 1.

20 players remain: Clare College, Corpus Christi College, Emmanuel College, Girton College, Gonville and Caius College, Hughes Hall, King's College, Lucy Cavendish College, Magdalene College, New Hall, Pembroke College, Peterhouse, Queens' College, Robinson College, Selwyn College, Sidney Sussex College, St Catherine's College, St. John's College, Trinity Hall, Wolfson College.

11 votes are needed for a conviction or 10 to go to night.

3 vote for Selwyn College (Pembroke College, St Catherine's College, St. John's College)
2 votes for Clare College (Corpus Christi College, Emmanuel College)
2 votes for Wolfson College (Selwyn College, Magdalene College)
2 votes for King's College (Girton College, Wolfson College)
1 votes for Queens' College (, New Hall)
1 vote for Corpus Christi College (King's College)
1 vote for New Hall (Sidney Sussex College)
1 vote for Pembroke College (Hughes Hall)
1 vote for Peterhouse (Lucy Cavendish College)
1 vote for Sidney Sussex College (Trinity Hall)
1 vote for St. John's College (Peterhouse)

4 players have not voted: Gonville and Caius College, Queens' College, Robinson College, Clare College.

Archived