Calendar - Signed with Invisible Ink?

Given

[quote name='CiaranAnnrach' post='1698400' date='Feb 24 2009, 12.54']I've been sending them an email every day for the past three weeks. I bet they are sick and tired of getting emails from me.

Kicker is, twice now they've told me I'd be getting it "next week", and it's been quite a few weeks since the last time I heard that. Then after two weeks of nonstop emailing, they replied asking if I still hadn't gotten anything. Still waiting on another reply, but let's hope their message board post turns out to be good news for us.

Either way. I will have to think pretty damn hard before I ever order from them again.[/quote]

I just read on GRR website, under the Not A Blog area, that Les Dabel has told him, that we have all received the calendars now!!! I am so angry about this. He should at least respond to our emails. Give us our money back, if he does not have the calendars.

Ahee.

I ordered my signed calendar back in August. I actually forgot I had ordered and paid for it because the thing never showed up (and I live in the U.S. so there is no customs/overseas shipping issue). Then I stumbled across this thread and was like "oh yeah I [i]did[/i] throw away $50 on that didn't I."

Sent an email to the estimable Mr. Dabel yesterday, but based on the experiences here I'm not terribly optimistic. Well, at least I know being cranky gets results, if it comes to that...

[quote name='Krafus' post='1709209' date='Mar 5 2009, 16.56']LianeM,

Most likely you haven't received your signed calendar because GRRM hasn't received those calendars yet, and so of course he hasn't signed them. He has said he will post about it on his blog the second he receives those calendars, and will sign them that very day.

Mind you, I'd be willing to bet you'll get your calendar ahead of me anyway.[/quote]

But it was also said that EVERYONE who ordered a signed copy will get a non-signed one as a replacement until signed copies arrive.
But guess what?! No replacement ever came to me, not even a regular one. (I order 1x regular and 1x signed copy)!!!!!!!!!

Geez, Krafus, can you turn the negativity down some? We all know you're bitter about the whole issue, alot of us are, but making speculations like that and obsessing over it isn't helping anyone. Especially yourself.

Ya know, take a step back, breathe a little, and try not to worry about the calendar thing anymore for the rest of the day or for the weekend. There are far more important things in life to worry about, anyhow, than some pieces of paper stapled together with some pretty pictures on them. It'll all work itself out in the end, with or without the stress-induced ulcer.

[quote name='CiaranAnnrach' post='1710492' date='Mar 6 2009, 16.10']Geez, Krafus, can you turn the negativity down some? We all know you're bitter about the whole issue, alot of us are, but making speculations like that and obsessing over it isn't helping anyone. Especially yourself.

Ya know, take a step back, breathe a little, and try not to worry about the calendar thing anymore for the rest of the day or for the weekend. There are far more important things in life to worry about, anyhow, than some pieces of paper stapled together with some pretty pictures on them. It'll all work itself out in the end, with or without the stress-induced ulcer.[/quote]

That's all good and OK. But....
When I pay for something I expect to receive the goods. If i wanted to give my money away, i would give it to some charity organization not "some online book store".

[quote name='Krafus' post='1710610' date='Mar 6 2009, 11.28']I have yet to see any reason why I should be in any way optimistic, or believe the whole thing will work itself out in the end. It certainly hasn't in now six months. From where I stand, I've received nothing but empty email promises from DB - when I received any answer at all, of course.

I'm done passively sitting and waiting, hoping for the best. Which will by now obviously not happen unless I [i]make[/i] it happen.[/quote]

Youre letting this consume you Krafus. Its tough to let something like this go but I think for your own peace of mind you should try.

The way I see it, you can do three things.

1) Passively wait and hope it comes on it's own.

2) Obsess over it, rant to anyone who will listen to it, and dwell on it continuously.

3) Be active about getting your order without obsessing. i.e., do something about it, but don't spend more than 5 minutes of your day dealing with it or thinking about it.

The first option is too idealistic for me, and isn't going to work out too well I think. Their system for handling orders sucks, and if you just do nothing you will fall into the cracks, which isn't what you want.

The second option, which is what I see Krafus doing with his continuous rants and theories about how Dabel Brothers are "out to get them" and "out to get foreigners" is unhealthy. It's detrimental, both to himself and to everyone else. And the problem with obsessions is you tend to only focus on the bad, and you become blind to the good and to other things around you.

The third option is the best of both worlds. You send them an email each day, perhaps copy/pasted, and then...wait for it...you let it go and don't think about it for the rest of the day. It reminds Dabel they still haven't fulfilled their part of the bargain, but without it ruining your day/week/month/first quarter of the year. This is my suggestion to everyone who hasn't gotten their order in it's entirety yet.

And yes, kkemikk, I too expect to get what I paid for. But will I die if I don't get the two prints I'm owed? No. Will my life be worse for it? Probably not. Am I going to continue to send the Dabel Brothers emails every day until I do get what I paid for? Yeah, but that's maybe 5 minutes out of my day and past that I forget about it and focus on what's more important. Like, you know, everything else in my life.

[quote name='Krafus' post='1711020' date='Mar 6 2009, 14.53']I actually considered CiaranAnnrach's suggestion of emailing them once a day, but I deemed that idea too close to, well, harassment, and likely to lead me to being put on some automatic stop and return email list - and thus losing the only line of communication I have with Dabel Brothers.[/quote]

A polite email requesting information that is sent often when a reply is not given is less likely to be considered harassment than an insulting and rude one.

All right, time to do the right thing...

After doing some reflection on the matter, it has dawned on me that CiaranAnnrach and McCloskey are right - I've let this whole thing get far too deeply under my skin. And for what? I've been ripped off before. I've put my thoughts to paper (well, Word page) elsewhere, and pouring all my anger and frustration into words seems to have had an effect similar to an exorcism.

Almost certainly, nothing I do will get me that calendar, and I'm tired of futilely trying and being angry about it. I should count myself lucky I've only lost $30 in this. Someday, I'll come upon the calendar for sale somewhere, and I'll be able to finally get my hands on it. Who knows, about Amazon will get its stock and then it'll be really easy. I've already waited over eight years for ADWD, surely I can wait half that or more for that calendar.

To all, I'm sorry for the way I've poisoned the atmosphere around here for the last several months. I can't undo what I posted then and the feelings it elicited in others, but I can erase it, here and in the other threads concerning the calendar. And then I'll leave the board for a few weeks.

If you have received your calendar(s), then cherish it/them in the knowledge that you’re very lucky, and that there’s plenty of less fortunate people out there who would love to be able to say the same.

*raises white flag, wanders off to do something less self-destructive*

Emailed Les again last week, still no response. Still no calendar.

Krafus - I've appreciated your ranting, though as I'm not around here often maybe I've missed the gems that have given offense. Let us know if you do get it.

I know I'm still going to have problems if the calendar ever does arrive, as I paid for the limited edition cover with bonus features. And from what I've heard, no-one's received the bonus features yet.

[quote name='morningsword' post='1711622' date='Mar 7 2009, 03.32']I know I'm still going to have problems if the calendar ever does arrive, as I paid for the limited edition cover with bonus features. And from what I've heard, no-one's received the bonus features yet.[/quote]

I'm choosing not to think about that part of it yet. I know once the special editions finally start going out I'm going to be going through the same hair-pulling frustration to get mine actually sent. I need to enjoy a bit of peace-of-mind before having to deal with DB again.

Honestly, I'm actually dreading the special editions finally being sent out. >.<

Archived