Champion another fan/actor-- Jessica Billings

Jesstadreamer

Hello fellow ASoIaF devotees! I know we're all drooling over the *hopefully* upcoming series! (I know I am) Personally, I think it's completely grand of the producers and so to keep an open mind and listen to our input.

Anyways, a little about me:

My name is Jessica, and I'm 22 years old. I'm 5'10, and I weigh 127 lbs. I have dark brown hair and dark brown eyes. I've been involved with Theater since I was six years old, and I recently graduated from George Mason University with a degree in Theater. I also won the award for "Outstanding Female Performer" at graduation. I've performed in 30+ shows, directed three shows, and been production crew for more. :)
I am great at accents (have a wonderful Irish-Galway accent), have had ballet classes, great with children, and can sing well.

The links below are from my MYSPACE page (feel free to add me!), and I'm working on getting a video link of a monologue or two.

I don't know if I really look like any of the characters.... except perhaps Asha. I'm willing to change my appearance in any way, shape, or form, and I would die for even the role of "corpse #7."

Good luck to all my fellow actors and fans! ... errr Break a leg!

Headshot: [url="http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=44769685&albumID=1980705&imageID=36086241#a=1980705&i=36086120"]http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...&i=36086120[/url]

Full: [url="http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=44769685&albumID=1980705&imageID=36087679#a=1980705&i=36087688"]http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...&i=36087688[/url]

One more: [url="http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=44769685&albumID=1980705&imageID=36087240#a=1980705&i=36087408"]http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...&i=36087408[/url]

Thanks for reading this too! OH and Happy Holidays!

(I'm not tech-illiterate, but for some reason, the links switch to the next picture after a few moments...anyone know how to fix that?)

Looking at your pictures immediately reminded me of one of Amok's character protraits, especially as you say you're quite tall for a woman. It is one of the minor characters but arguably a quite cool one. Want to take a look who I think you are? I think the resembalance is quite striking.

[url="http://www.towerofthehand.com/reference/k/00378/"]http://www.towerofthehand.com/reference/k/00378/[/url]

One question though Jess, how good are you with a mace?

I'm working on that photoshopped image hound ;)... photoshop is so complicated. I have more respect for photoshoppers now!!! As for height.. camera tricks (I'm being hopeful!).

Tom (o sevenstring eh :P ) OMG that's crazy. I see the resemblance too! I would be extremely happy to be at Robb Stark's side! ...even though (everyone is going to hate me now) I liked the Lannisters after AFFC.

HAPPY NEW YEARS!

Okay, I guess I'll address this latest [i]"Let's Champion A..."[/i] thread (apologies to randathal). Happy New Year, everyone!

I can't think of an immediate role for Jessica. A Sand Snake perhaps, though that's years down the road. Maybe a Mole Town whore? Or a camp follower. Someone Theon winks at in passing...

Now I generally don't do this, but Jessica seems earnest in her efforts and eager to prove her skills. Here's some advice from an L.A. goon and an ex-industry dabbler; take it as you will (grain of salt, etc.):

Jessica, the things in your control are handled well. Your hair is gorgeous, your figure very pleasing to the eye. You have some natural God-given (or parent-given) physical gifts as well: smoky dark eyes and lips that would make any man look twice.

But let me tell you, and this news isn't great (and please take this the right way, I'm trying to be informative, not mean - but you [i]did[/i] offer up your pictures for all), there are two things that remain out of your control that can be a big deterrent to you achieving some of your dreams.

One is your height. A 6' actor is the exception, not the rule. Leading men generally hate their love interests looming over them (or worse, blocking their precious camera space). This is something you can't control, I know, but it's also partly the reason why most models don't succeed in film (besides the fact that most can't act). Hollywood loves tiny.

Your other deterrent is that nose, which people in the industry will call "non-standard" where their opinion of beauty is concerned. There's almost no angle a photographer looking for a quality head shot could take in which it wouldn't stand out in some way, and you don't want that. Whether right or not, the industry hates taking chances on "non-standard."

Now there are few actresses who have proven the exception to the rule; Barbara Streisand made her reputation as a singer first, actress second, and her comic timing was also spot on. I remember when [i]Buffy the Vampire Slayer[/i] was getting cast, and concerns floated about regarding Sarah Michelle Gellar's nose (and she's still considered gorgeous); it was widely agreed she had gotten one of her earliest roles playing Susan Lucci's daughter on the soap opera [i]All My Children [/i]because her nose looked "remarkably similar" to Susan's, but most people never thought she'd get farther than that soap.

And look at her today. Come to think of it, a number of actresses have made it with "non-standard" features by showing the depth of their talent... but not by showcasing their flaws in attempts at playing "nubile / sexy."

So while I'm not suggesting you run off and get a nose job at the drop of a hat, I would aim for non-conventional roles to begin with - ones that show your acting ability and not try to make you out to be some industry-stamped beauty. The cuddly-kitten sexpot shots don't really work, in my view. But that's just one opinion.

Know who you are, know your limits, and know what you want. Good luck, and break a leg!

Thank you so much :). I'm well aware that my height doesn't help me much, but I'm committed. Famke Jansen is 5'11, and while she doesn't get too much work- she does get some work.

My nose is my least favorite feature...and I know it sticks out :). Thank you for being honest. I wasn't going for a sex kitten in those shots... I offered them as a "full-body" image.

You did point out Babs and SMG...both gorgeous in a unique way. I would prefer something that showed my acting chops rather than my looks too.

I am earnest, and I work very hard. Sometimes I'm realistic (I can't play Dany at 5'11 as much as I would like), and sometimes I'm not :). I believe actors (and any artists) should try as hard as they can to make their dreams come true. I normally don't submit myself like this, but I love these books. If I could play Cersei- I would die :D hehe. I'm fine with a mole town whore or corpse #7. I love these books, and when I heard about the upcoming series....I had a heart attack.

(antisocial- she was my least fav PoV, but a great character nonetheless with wonderful through-line as an actress...it's a compliment)

I wish all fellow artists and fans the best :)!!!

i would suggest asha greyjoy, but my guess is she's not even in the production, nor is any of her fellow iron born, sans Theon. also one of the sand snakes would work as well, but i also think sunspear is completely cut from the show- just a hunch and sad but true. but i do think yrigette would work. (i can't remember how to spell yirgette) but you need to be a superior actor for that role, are you?

I'm confident in my abilities, though I could always grow. I'm working on posting a video, but I'm not sure what kind of monologues to do (when auditioning for TV- do TV monos...but also Shakespeare would work for this).

Thank you for suggesting Ygritte. She's lovely. "You know nothing" is such a great line. I also think that I identify most with her personality-wise... just naturally :) .

[quote name='About Yea High' post='1636308' date='Jan 3 2009, 10.30']So while I'm not suggesting you run off and get a nose job at the drop of a hat, I would aim for non-conventional roles to begin with - ones that show your acting ability and not try to make you out to be some industry-stamped beauty. The cuddly-kitten sexpot shots don't really work, in my view. But that's just one opinion.[/quote]

I guess as far as the "cuddly-kitten sexpot shots" go, I'll second that opinion. By far the best photo of the ones you've put forward is the first one to flash up from the 3rd link, and it is the least "sexpot" of all the photos.

The "non-standard" characters I can think of are Ygritte, Brienne, Osha, Dacey. None of which are in the pilot. You could always play one of Dany's handmaids as they do not need to fit the Hollywood defintion of beauty. But with your height I'd say a fightin' lass might be your thing in this show, and the 4 I've mentioned are all that.

With your Mediterranean look you have the look of a southern Westerosi (Dornish, the Arbor) or someone from the east rather than a Northwoman or someone from beyond the wall.

Try uglying yourself and donning some armour, see if Brienne could be a goer. I guess with Brienne your "non-standard" nose is an asset rather than a liability.

• 4 weeks later...
Video of me- incoming! (I'm in the middle of moving, so I can't post too often).

Crazily enough, I would prefer Brienne to all other characters mentioned.
She would be difficult with her outstanding range of emotions. I never thought I'd say this! When I
first posted- I was like "sandsnake/Asha," but I didn't think of the depth needed for certain characters.
It would be a blast playing Ygritte (too tall), but I think I could certainly pull off Brienne believably.
With some armor and a make-uped face- in my range :). (AND BULKING UP!)

And Smoldering Hound- I've failed you. I'm sorry. I tried for days to photoshop Dany hair. I am not a graphic artist lol :) (the most I got was straw like hair). Thank you though, saying I could play Dany is an immense compliment ( shush you Dany haters!).

Thank you to all that have posted in this thread, and a "break a leg" to all the other actors out there!
*including John Achemire for crew member.

We can only hope and not give up :).

You look a lot like how I imagined Asha! You are gorgeous, by the way. I wish Hollywood standards of beauty would just go away, as there are so many beautiful people that don't fit into that mold that get criticized for their so-called flaws whilst these non-standard features are what makes them stand out, what makes them beautiful...
I'm having a hard time picturing you as Brienne, but mostly just cause you're too pretty. I'd really like to see an uglied-up version of you. Are you any good with make-up?

I'm looking forward to seeing a video, it'll be easier to see which character you'd portray best.

Sorry, but their is no way you could play Brienne. You are too attractive.

I'm sort of getting a Maegery Tyrell vibe. She is younger in the story but could probably be aged up, and a height disparity between you and both Joffrey and Tommen might not be a bad thing.

[quote name='G'Kar' post='1678979' date='Feb 9 2009, 07.29']Sorry, but their is no way you could play Brienne. You are too attractive.[/quote]

All I can say to that is: [url="http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1854708480/nm0000668"]Emma Thompson[/url] meet [url="http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2006/01/06/nanny_narrowweb__300x385,0.jpg"]Nanny McPhee[/url].

Archived