MAFIA! Minigame 61.5 Lost in a Bad Book

The Man Who

It is day 1.

11 players remain: Bilbo, Brian Topp, Daisy, Dexter, Duane, Marsha, Mike Watt, Tim Bisley, Twist, Tyres, Vulva.

6 votes are needed for a conviction or to go to night.

6 votes for Tyres (Bilbo, Marsha, Tim Bisley, Vulva, Brian Topp, Twist)
1 vote for Daisy (Duane)
1 vote for Duane (Mike Watt)
1 vote for Mike Watt (Tyres)

2 players have not voted: Daisy, Dexter.

“I can’t believe my name is Vulva. I certainly never envisaged this when I was perusing the Literature Forum” Vulva had complained at the beginning of the day as a means of breaking the ice.

At this Twist fell into absolute hysterics of manic laughter, rolling around on the ground, gasping with tears running down her cheeks and in between bouts of uncontrollable laughter managing to splutter out, “Twist…twisted…vulva…geddit?” to nonplussed expressions from the rest of the group.

“I feel your disappointment Vulva” Dexter had said, raising his voice to be heard above Twist’s cackling, “to be honest I’m just glad that I’m not a Malcolm. I had envisaged the terrible scenario of being in a Malcolm in the middle setting”

At this Tyres spluttered in incoherent rage, but Marsha was still reflecting on earlier conversation. “You’re right about your name, Vulva” she said, “so I think we need to kill you”

The collective mood was such that it was felt to desirable to continue the display of surrealism, so Bilbo bent down to stroke the blood-matted fur of poor deceased Colin and started babbling about toasted sandwich makers and how Dexter was the root of all evil.

Tim (bless him, he’s a bit simple), at this point got himself all in a lather about the terms toaster and toasted sandwich maker (moderative note – these are quite different things, and what on earth is a toaster oven?) and decided to persuade everyone that they should kill Bilbo.

“Um, actually guys” Vulva interrupted, “in doesn’t really matter what you think, because you should all lynch whoever I vote for, otherwise, um, I will die! And then you’ll feel guilty, and someone will probably steal all your pasta and milk and write rude words on your children’s foreheads. Or do something bad that we can’t even envisage. Yeh”

There was a pause.

“You know Vulva, you’re so ugly you going to give me nightmares” said Duane (a bit tactless, but it was what everyone was thinking)

“Eurghewaria, Vulva” said Mike Watt helpfully, before settling in to a nice nap

“Aha, ahoo, ahhh” said Twist wiping the tears from her eyes as she recovered from her extended bout of laughter, “why don’t we just go to night?” she added, still smiling.

“Sigh” sighed Tyres, dramatically

“I’ll have you know that voting for night is required of me by the mods. The mods! – for whom the highest possible respect is always due. And put that eyepatch away Vulva, you look ridiculous” replied Twist haughtily.

“I believe Vulva’s reveal” added Brian Topp proudly, while beaming at everyone. “Also” he went on, “can I echo the sentiment that we should always pay the very utmost respect to our esteemed mods, for example by always sending in many thoughts to the spoilers and sending provisionals nice and early”

Everyone then chorused their agreement to this popular thought.

“Anyway” said Mike, breaking the group’s reverie, “if you look here I have drawn up a chart of seventeen variables and if we plot Vulva’s reveal against time, number of people and degrees of abstraction like so [Mike gesticulates complicatedly], we can see that Vulva has a 10% probability of being evil. I envisage this being really useful to us.”

It was fortunate that there appeared to be a number of farm animals lying around the room, and also that the RSPCA weren’t present, as what followed involved pulling various arguments, bizarrely, out of asses.

Eventually, Mike Watt got bored. “We just rehashing things here” he complained.

“Yeh” agreed Vulva, “this coarse chunky mixture of beef and other things has already been cooked twice; it’s getting a bit old – I can’t envisage it being fit for consumption if we rehash it any more”

“Ok, ok” said Tyres, his tie well loosened, “we just need everyone to state their opinion on me, Vulva and Mike, then Mike can collate them and present them as a flow chart or something”

“But I wanna talk about other things” whined Marsha, “why can’t we just lynch Tyres, anyway?”

“Umm…” said someone.

“Well….” said another.

Everyone fell into deep reflection. After several hours Bilbo coughed and everyone glared at him. The silence resumed.

“Sod it, let’s just string up Tyres”, snapped Twist eventually

The tall man with the raptor eyes returned. “I see you have decided to kill Tyres” he said, befire fixing his intense gaze on Tyres. Tyres started glowing an intense green colour and then all of a sudden he burst into a million shimmering green fragments which floated gently around the room. This was something you had never envisaged happening.

He turned to go, but before he did he stopped. “Oh yes” he said brightly, “I forgot that I was envisaging treating you all to a little talk about how the circadian rhythms of [i]Arabidopsis[/i] are regulated by transcription factors, and, importantly, the molecules Phytochromes. Well, you see, the complete genome sequences of various organisms allow us to assess quatitatively genetic…”

You jolt awake. The tall man is still talking, “…encoding components of the photosynthetic apparatus are controlled by the circadian clock. That is all. Well, I hope you enjoyed that – tomorrow I am envisaging that we will have a discussion of how to solve Linear inhomogeneous second order differential equations!”

He turned to leave, but as he strode away he called over his shoulder[b], “By the way, Tyres was TheMalcolm and was innocent”[/b]

[i]Colin cleared his throat noisily. Wait, what?

It seems you have some quite incompetent killers on the loose, as Colin the dog is alive and talking and with you. You seem to remember hearing some Leonard Cohen music playing during the lecture, so maybe it all makes sense…[/i]

Nevertheless, you find it difficult to envisage this whole escapade ending well. As you drift off to sleep you can see rats flitting around the room and in your fitful, nightmare-filled sleep you can envisage what someone might do with one of those rats and a sewing kit. It hardly bears thinking about…

[b]It is night. Send in your PMs[/b]

Just checking in and heading to bed.

Shoot, I thought we might have got one. At least we have a train to examine tomorrow, and some low posters that hopefully decide to show up.

I'll be in and out the next 15 min if anyone is around, though it is night and I generally try not to speculate to much during this time.

You've all nodded off gently to sleep, with Colin newly returned to the land of the living you feel that things are a little better in this place at this time.

"Wake up! Or I'll get my Mord-Sith to wake you with agiels!"

That bladdy man is there again. He bores holes into you with his raptor gaze. "You probably need to find out who did this."

He gestures to the body lying on the floor.

[b]It is Brian Topp (Wombaticus). He was innocent.[/b]

It is day 2.

10 players remain: Bilbo, Colin, Daisy, Dexter, Duane, Marsha, Mike Watt, Tim Bisley, Twist, Vulva.

6 votes are needed for a conviction or 5 to go to night.

10 players have not voted: Bilbo, Colin, Daisy, Dexter, Duane, Marsha, Mike Watt, Tim Bisley, Twist, Vulva.

[quote name='Richard Modrahl' post='1664999' date='Jan 28 2009, 05.46']He turned to leave, but as he strode away he called over his shoulder, “By the way, Tyres was TheMalcolm and was innocent”[/quote]
*whimpers* :(

[quote name='Richard Modrahl' post='1664999' date='Jan 28 2009, 05.46']Colin cleared his throat noisily. Wait, what?

It seems you have some quite incompetent killers on the loose, as Colin the dog is alive and talking and with you. You seem to remember hearing some Leonard Cohen music playing during the lecture, so maybe it all makes sense…[/quote]

[quote name='Richard Modrahl' post='1665077' date='Jan 28 2009, 08.25']That bladdy man is there again. He bores holes into you with his raptor gaze. "You probably need to find out who did this."

He gestures to the body lying on the floor.

It is Brian Topp (Wombaticus). He was innocent.[/quote]

WOOF!!!!! :stunned: :wideeyed: :hat:

[quote name='Mike Watt' post='1665168' date='Jan 28 2009, 10.16']Hmm this is interesting. So you can make quotes then. Would it be safe to assume you were a player who was in the game already?[/quote]
Not at all. I was just having a bit of fun, being unable to post for the whole last day. :P

[quote name='Mike Watt' post='1665172' date='Jan 28 2009, 10.19']Well if the mods will do this to a player then I've any lingering doubts about Vulva are gone I think.[/quote]
Well, I don't have any doubts about Vulva. I believe the something's claim, and I think it is innocent. I have my reasons - which are unfortunatly top secret. I am also sure that Twist told us the truth about her role. Unlike Vulva, that doesn't make her VPI in my eyes.

WOOF

Sorry, couldn't resist.

So WTF was going on yesterday? We were one vote close to a lynch. Dexter and Mike said they wouldn't come back until night, Daisy was MIA, Tyres would not vote for himself and 5 players were already on the mob. That left Duane and Twist, and Twist needed to vote for night. So,why did no one tell Duane to vote for Tyres when he had been present?

Time to express my thoughts about day 1. Let's start with the hobbit:

[u]
Bilbo:[/u]

Player who has added the most contribution so far. His biggest plus is his case on Mike. I have serious doubts that an evil player would try to make a big case against someone which is based on a wrong premise. Quite the contrary Bilbo looks like someone innocent who thought that he found a loophole in Mike's argumentation and who got that excited about it that he didn't double-check the fundament of his case again.

Still, there's something that bugged me about Bilbo. After hours of debating the extistence of a symp. When Vulva voted for Daisy because Tyres defended her he makes this comment:

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1664373' date='Jan 27 2009, 21.03']Shouldn't you be voting for Tyres then? Let's get the head first and then we'll figure out what twitching remains were connected to the baddie.[/quote]

Vulva - rightly - says that in a game without symps lynching Tyres instead of Daisy makes little sense.

Bilbo's reaction:

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1664387' date='Jan 27 2009, 21.12']I will never lynch someone for a defense by someone that is not a confirmed killer. Unless I'm evil. Then I might.[/quote]

and

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1664393' date='Jan 27 2009, 21.15']Fake symping. Plus the fact that it was a pretty obvious defense for a CF game.[/quote]

Well, I can follow his reasoning, but then he only delivered that explanation when Vulva had already questioned his advise to lynch tyres instead of Daisy.

I'm asking myself why Bilbo advised Vulva to vote for Tyres (innocent) instead of Daisy when there was already a consensus that there was no symp. Why didn't he explain his reasoning (fake symping; defense too obvious) right from the start?

I know it's only a minor point, but I still found that move by Bilbo odd.

Edit: spelling

[u]Duane:[/u]

Has been absent for most of the day. When he returned, he chatted around a bit and disappeared again - without voting. Was mainly argueing with the deceased Brian Topp, thinking Brian was a bit middle-of-the-roading with his analysis. Duane also criticized Brian for ranking Daisy as one of his top suspests, while stating in his analysis he was stating that he wasn't concerned about her.

Then there is the death of Brian Topp. Would Duane have killed him after that little exchange? He must have feared that we were going to look at him because of that. So, my initial reaction was that Duane probably was not Brian's killer.

But then, Duane has already been suspected by a lot of others and he knew that he would likely be in the centre of attention again today. So he basically wouldn't risk that much by killing Brian. He was suspicious anyway, and he got rid of an opponent and there was a chance that we'd WIFOm the kill, thinking that Duane must have been nuts to make such a terrible move as a killer. Or that we wouldn't give the kill any meaning at all.

I also ask myself why Duane did not change his vote when he came back. Did he ever say that he trusted Tyres? I cannot remember that. If Twist had not changed her vote in the end, we would have gotten no information at all.

Finally, and I guess that's a bit unfair since it has only little to do with his behaviour, lynching Duane would help us to analyze the voting patterns.

My vote is thus on [b]Duane [/b]for now.

Archived