Nymeria Sand
Olenna Tyrell
Rattleshirt
Ryam Redwyne
Salladhor Saan
Shagga, son of Dolf
Shireen Baratheon
Weasel

Daario Naharis - in my country "i" is pronounced like the English "e", "a" like in "ah!", and the result in this name sounds wonderful to me :)

Oberyn Martell - the name itself, but also maybe because I adored the old wicked guy ! :)) And Ellaria seems very musical to me also...

[quote name='Yvaine' post='1722610' date='Mar 17 2009, 13.18']...And Ellaria seems very musical to me also...[/quote]

Oh, I forgot about her! Yeah, that is definitely one of the most beautiful female names in the series.

Someone also mentioned Dagmer Cleftjaw, I just got to his chapter last night on my first re-read and I had forgotten about him too. He has a pretty badass name.

I just remembered another of my absolute favorites, Qorin Halfhand. Apart from being one of the most legendary figures north of the Wall, his name and title are enough to strike fear and wonder in anyone that hears it.

I've thought about it, and Tywin Lannister has a very regal and sophisticated name as well, very well-picked for him. I've noticed that Martin really has a thing for hyping up a character and their name by mentioning them just enough times before we ever actually see them. This worked with Tywin, Mance, the Halfhand, and the Red Viper...hopefully it'll work with Howland Reed as well, who also has a pretty sweet first name.

Also, kinda off topic, but how does everyone pronounce Jaime? I usually say jay-mee in my head, but I wasn't sure if it was just jaym, or even something else?

[quote name='Baratheon_bastard' post='1723066' date='Mar 17 2009, 20.01']Also, kinda off topic, but how does everyone pronounce Jaime? I usually say jay-mee in my head, but I wasn't sure if it was just jaym, or even something else?[/quote]
I pronounce it the same way as you do, but I know that some languages (Spanish, for instance) pronounce the "J" as an "H".

The timing of this thread is awesome since I was just remarking to my BF about how cool the name Beric Dondarrion is and how I perk up anytime he's mentioned. It's pretty much the best name in the book [u]and[/u] RL, haha.

Utherydes Wayn is a close second. Or maybe that's just because of the way Roy Dotrice pronounces it.

[quote name='Ser Hot Pie' post='1723120' date='Mar 17 2009, 19.47']Let's hear it for some of the forgotten brothers of the Night Watch:

Sweet Donnel Hill

Spare Boot

Squire Dalbridge

Three Finger Hobb

Owen the Oaf

Left Hand Lew

Stonesnake

Dolorous Edd[/quote]

And Will and Gared. Those are the two most fantastical names in the novels.

[quote name='wakiki' post='1721820' date='Mar 16 2009, 22.59']Heh, funny. I pronounce Viserys "vee-sare-eez" with a very, [i]very[/i] slight emphasis on the middle syllable. All those Targ names probably have 897265 pronunciations (est.).[/quote]

Funny, I pronounce Viserys "Viss-er-riss" with the stress on the first syllable. No idea if it's correct or not.

I love all the names GRRM comes up with. They're [i]all [/i]wonderful. They have such character and they're perfect for the characters they name.

Barristan the Bold
Osney Kettleblack
Septa Mordane
Grazdan
Tom o'Sevens
Anguy the Archer
Tysha
Ashara Dayne
Lady Merryweather
Vargo Hoat
Ser Amory Lorch

Archived