Coolest names in the series

Baratheon_bastard

Accord on Vargo Hoat. I also like Pyat Pree.

During my first reading, I was kind of put off by how vanilla the names were for many of the first characters we meet. Robb, Jon, Catelyn, Bran, Robert, Jaime... my initial impression was that this detracted from the fantasy setting-- it was as if I had picked up Lord of the Rings, but instead of Frodo, Aragorn, Gandalf, Legolas and Gimli, we have Fred the Hobbit, Ranger Dave, Bob the Wizard, Larry the Elf and Mike the Dwarf.

They grew on me, over time-- I think that one of the reasons why GRRM chose the names that he did for the initial characters that we meet is to establish a sense of comfort with them-- those names are the closest to names in the Anglo-Saxon cultures that most of GRRM's readers tend to come from, which leads the reader to root for them. They're the most "like us".

At the other end of the spectrum you've got names like Vargo Hoat, Jalabhar Xho, Areo Hotah, Pyat Pree and Drogo. Very non-western names, which helps distance these characters from the reader. It immediately helps the reader appreciate that those people are from cultures that are considered exotic from the perspective of the "home base" culture.

• 2 weeks later...
In asoiaf there are different kinds of names, I think. There are those who are just cool, they have a nice sound and fit into the story (the likes of Ser Boros Blount, Galbart Glover and Balon Swann, and anyway most people at least in Westeros). There are also some names I don't like that much, mostly it's names from other places; "Jalabhar Xho" or especially "Jaqen H'ghar", etc., are somehow too much cliché for me (like - add some X and H and apostrophes and you get something foreign). I think, that's something Tolkien was better at: inventing foreign but convincing sounding names. Although GRRM has a gift for Dothraki names ("Jhiqui" and "Rakharo" are my favorites, "Ko (Khal) Pono" is also nice), I believe his "English" names are better, because they sound familiar, yet somewhat odd. E.g. "Eddard" instead of "Edward" makes the character appear more fierce or bold, to me.

Among the tons of cool names, there are some that are simply outstanding:
- I'm surprised nobody mentioned him (or I didn't read well), but [i]Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning[/i] is possibly the coolest name of the entire books. Both the name and the title make him sound like a very dangerous and very important person. I mean "Sword of the Morning", that's just fucking cool. His sword, "Dawn", only improves this.
- Then I have to agree about [i]Ser Jaremy Rykker[/i]. A shame he died!
- [i]Howland Reed[/i] is also top-notch. I mean, "Howland", that really is a name!
- [i]Archmaester of the Citadel[/i]. One of the coolest titles ever.
- [i]Summer[/i]. When I was reading that chapter for the third time, I had entirely forgotten what Bran's direwolf was called. As I continued reading the memory returned and I was almost crying when he called his direwolf "Summer", and that was on the third reading! This name reveals so much about Bran - and while "Ghost" may be the coolest direwolf name, "Summer" is possibly the saddest.
- [i]Jon Snow[/i]. Besides being my favorite character (although his POV is not my favorite, since the Wall, and worse, everything beyond it, seems sooo depressing to me), he has also a really cool name.
- [i]Beric Dondarrion[/i]. Sounds like a hero out of a fairy tale, IMO.

and some more.
(yay, first post!)

[quote name='ms1191' post='1740829' date='Mar 31 2009, 21.57']I always liked:

Aerion Brightfire
Lyn Corbray
Arthur Dayne (I always felt his name fit him)[/quote]
Those are amazing, however "Aerion Brightfire" was the name GRRM used for the first book or two, but then it was changed to Aerion Brightflame in the latter books as well as the Dunk and Egg novellas. Only slightly different, but I like Brightflame better personally.

My two favs will always be Robett and Gabart Glover. Have such a great lordly ring to them. Others:
Ser Rodrik Cassel, Ser Mandon Moore, Ser Serwyn of the Mirror Shield, Ser Roland Crakenhall, Ser Donnel of Duskendale, Baelor Breakspear, Wild Wyl Waynewood, Greatjon Umber, Roose Bolton, Bronze Yohn Royce and Robar Royce

My absolute favourate nickname has to be 'the Bloodroyal' i can't wait till we (cross fingers) here more about Lord Anders Yronwood just for what that means.

Beric Dondarrion (this one seems popular!)
Ser Robar Royce. I love how it rolls of the tongue.
Ashara Dayne. A beautiful name.
Brynden Blackfish
Ser Garlan Tyrell
Ser Aron Santagar
Rhaegar Targaryen. Now that is a Prince's name!
Roose Bolton. That name always gave me the chills. I knew he was not up to any good once I saw that name.

Baratheon, Lannister, Greyjoy, Umber, Corbray, Royce, and Arryn, are some of the coolest surnames in the books, IMO.

-I'm gonna have to agree with Ser Rodrik Cassel.
-Jeor Mormont... Man that sounds great. And his nickname, The Old Bear, is great as well.
-Petyr Baelish
-Benjen and Eddard Stark. Really nice names.
-Sansa is great name, and is somewhat excotic. I can't find any name related to it, at least.
-All the Targaryen names are kinda badass, but the best has to be Aeron. You've got to love Aeron.
-"Bronze" Yohn Royce.
-Margaery
-Stannis
-Melisandre at a pinch

I know that was quite a lot, but there's an aweful lot of awesome names in the series.

I'll admit, the names kinda soured me for a split-second, but as the series progressed, they just made sense. "Stark" is a perfect example of a name that just seemed so plain to me at first, but fits perfectly now.

Lot of my favorite names have already been mentioned, but:

[quote name='Maednerys' post='1723190' date='Mar 17 2009, 16.37']I love all the Targaryen names...anything with an "ae" or an "erys" makes me happy, as you can tell by my display name. :P[/quote]
Same here. I love the surname Targaryen in and of itself. Just sounds so exotic and mystical.

[quote name='Fryie' post='1740538' date='Mar 31 2009, 12.48']- I'm surprised nobody mentioned him (or I didn't read well), but [i]Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning[/i] is possibly the coolest name of the entire books. Both the name and the title make him sound like a very dangerous and very important person. I mean "Sword of the Morning", that's just fucking cool. His sword, "Dawn", only improves this.[/quote]
Sword of the Morning was the first "cool" name that came to mind when I read this thread.

[quote name='TengAiHui' post='1743223' date='Apr 2 2009, 20.18']Tormond Giantsbane, Tall-talker, Horn-blower, Breaker of Ice, Thunderfist, Husband to Bears, Mead-king of Ruddy Hall, Speaker to Gods, and Father of Hosts.[/quote]
Giantsbane and all his nicknames was the second that came to mind.

Also love Gregor, Qhorin Halfhand, the Baratheon surname, and the Fossoways. Can't eat an apple without thinking of the Fossoways :P

And I loved the term "lizard lions". Always imagined them to be crocodiles, but I like how GRRM kinda leaves it up to interpretation.

Archived