Sweat the small stuff

Kingslayer

So, are there any minor characters and/or small scenes, that aren't necessarily crucial to the plot, that you'd really like to see on screen? I have a few.

* Shagwell the Fool. He's too droll to be cut from the show!

* The crazy preacher calling Tyrion a "twisted little monkey demon."

* Amory Lorch and the bear.

* Tyrion explaining to Jon why he reads so much.

* The scene where Tyrion tells Cersei that Stannis is attacking Storm's End, not King's Landing. "I'm starting to believe Robert was the clever one!"

* Jaime (verbally) smacking down the Kingsguard clowns.

* Sandor explaining to Sansa why he lets people call him a dog, but never a knight.

More thoughts?

I hope they don't cut anything where Sandor talks. They need to get his character across....

At the start, it's easy to see him as an evil guy with no morals, but his scenes with Sansa really show his true character even if they are a bit disturbing.

I hope they don't cut the Arya/Mycah/Joffrey scene.

I hope they don't cut anything where Sandor talks. They need to get his character across....

At the start, it's easy to see him as an evil guy with no morals, but his scenes with Sansa really show his true character even if they are a bit disturbing.

I hope they don't cut the Arya/Mycah/Joffrey scene.

They won't. By my reckoning, that's most of episode 2 (or a lot of it at least). Plus, if they are using the Direwolves, it has to happen for Lady to die and for the Hound to finish episode 2 on the chilling: "he ran. But not very fast"

I want to see the Winterfell crypts. And basically, its the cinematography that interests me more than seeing particular dialogues. I want to see magnitute in Winterfell and trashy wealth in Castelry Rock, Jamie's armor and the wolfs. We know the dialogues, its the visualization thats missing.

The difference between Eddards "lord face" and "father face". I'm sure it will be evident. How important the Cassels were to the Starks esp. Jory, even if they don't seem crucial through the rest of the series, the loss of the gaurdian Cassels is a major reason the Starks end up the way they do.

• 1 month later...

I hope they use all the amazing heraldry that GRRM has invented. It'll be awesome to see battle scenes and be able to spot banners that we as fans recognise, even if we're never actually told who they belong to in the show.

I hope they use all the amazing heraldry that GRRM has invented. It'll be awesome to see battle scenes and be able to spot banners that we as fans recognise, even if we're never actually told who they belong to in the show.

That's funny, because in a few cases I actually hope they'd change it. For instance, the Stark direwolf, as it stands (on GRRM's website), looks a little dull to my eyes, whereas the direwolf on the gold cover for A Game of Thrones (not designed by GRRM) looks much better, in my opinion.

I guess I like the themes he created, but for me the artwork itself is a little plain in a few of 'em.

That's funny, because in a few cases I actually hope they'd change it. For instance, the Stark direwolf, as it stands (on GRRM's website), looks a little dull to my eyes, whereas the direwolf on the gold cover for A Game of Thrones (not designed by GRRM) looks much better, in my opinion.

I guess I like the themes he created, but for me the artwork itself is a little plain in a few of 'em.

I don't mean necessarily the exact artwork. I just mean, for example, we see the Hand's Tourney, and even though we're never told the names of half the knights on the field, those of us who have read the books can identify them by their colours and heraldry. A nice little nod to the book fans.

So, we can see a knight thundering past, and he's wearing a cloak with a bunch of grapes on it, and we're all going "Hey, he must be a Redwyne", or "Look, it's the fox and flowers. Must be a member of the Florents".

I don't mean necessarily the exact artwork. I just mean, for example, we see the Hand's Tourney, and even though we're never told the names of half the knights on the field, those of us who have read the books can identify them by their colours and heraldry. A nice little nod to the book fans.

So, we can see a knight thundering past, and he's wearing a cloak with a bunch of grapes on it, and we're all going "Hey, he must be a Redwyne", or "Look, it's the fox and flowers. Must be a member of the Florents".

That would be frakkin' cool. And highly possible, as George is a part of production!

Man, I wanna see some of the costumes already.

I am totally with you on this. I can already see everyong freaking out during the GoT viewing parties, popcorn flying everywhere in excitement. This is a totally geektastic element, too, worthy of Peter Jackson's silent winking at ToRN and LOTR fandom ('A shortcut to mushrooms!'). I wonder if the HBO project will have any interest in a similiar 'Appeasing of the Nerd.'

I am looking foward to seeing the ravens, actually. Birds are such a prominent theme in the books - the black ravens, the white ravens, the crows, the little bird, the sweetrobins. But for me the book is especially textured with ravens. I imagine it could be REAL easy to handle the ravens in a cheesy manner, since the whole 'quorking' raven/crow with the beady black eye is a totally overdone motif in both film and television. But the omnipresence of the ravens, with their noise and flapping wings, their cries for food, and their role as harbingers of sorrow and change - I really hope they are part of the texture of the HBO world (but without resorting to those tired and banal tropes).

Mance Rayder's cameo in the pilot.

Depicting the Septon's religion without resorting to ham-handed "as you know, Bob" exposition. Maesters and their chains, too.

Valyrian steel as a distinctive and precious material.

The dragon skulls in the Red Keep.

The Red Keep tapestries that Littlefinger went to all that trouble to acquire.

Wildfire.

Tyron's chain across the river.

The repeated scenes at the Inn at the Crossroads, keeping continuity straight (first we seek the innkeeper during the Catelyn/Tyrion scenes, then during the later Tywin scenes we see the innkeeper's gibbeted body, etc.)

The Iron Throne, looking cool and not over-the-top or silly.

The look and feel of Flea Bottom, especially when conditions really start to deteriorate.

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to see A Dothraki Arakh

we still don't know exactly what they look like

I imagine they are somewhat similar to a scimitar, but yes will be interesting to see if they just use an existing weapon (such as a scimitar) or try to make something a bit different specifically for the series.

Archived