So I think I’m an atheist (or at least a really strong agnostic) now

Crazydog7

I agree that it doesn't make sense to debate it, but if you accept that there is a God who created everything, that also puts God in charge of creating our sense of what is "good".

If so, it clearly wanted many to think it evil.

Doesn't it also seem odd for there to be an objective standard of "good" which God is capable of violating?

Only if one assumes that god must be good. But most definitions only has that requirement for specific gods, not the concept of god in general.

We have reached a certain end to our tether, so perhaps now is a time to ask before this thread is closed: Crazydog7, would you like to continue this thread? Does this thread topic continue to serve your purpose and provide use to you?

But I will provide one more useful snippet of theodicy that complicates matters further:

Isaiah 45:5-7

5 I am the Lord, and there is no other;

besides me there is no god.

I arm you, though you do not know me,

6 so that they may know, from the rising of the sun

and from the west, that there is no one besides me;

I am the Lord, and there is no other.

7 I form light and create darkness,

I make weal* and create woe**;

I the Lord do all these things.

* Heb. "shalom" (peace, well-being, welfare, completeness)

** Heb. "ra" (evil, distress, misery, injury, calamity)

If you want the thread to die, then stop posting in it. Asking the thread-starter's permission seems a little silly.
While I am enjoying the discussion, this thread was started by the OP, Crazydog7, for the purpose of discussing his new outlook, and I would hope that this thread continues to aid him in that pursuit and discovery. It seems even sillier to me to create a "So I think I'm an atheist (or at least a really strong agnostic now thread (Part II)" if that original purpose or intention is absent in the next thread.

Archived