Sandor Clegane.wtf?

cravenravenkeeper

Yeah, it would be out there, considering how Martin described how to access the isle without drowning into quicksand.

Not to mention it would serve no story purpose, I am all for slow storytelling, but sending a PoV there just to witness some monks getting attacked? That's bloat. If he needs Sandor reintroduced, he can just send him in the thick of the action instead of making the action go to him.

Not to mention it would serve no story purpose, I am all for slow storytelling, but sending a PoV there just to witness some monks getting attacked? That's bloat. If he needs Sandor reintroduced, he can just send him in the thick of the action instead of making the action go to him.

This.

I think if Sandor shows up again, it will be a similar entry to his appearance in Arya's Stoney Sept chapter.

[iNSERT RANDOM POV]: "Oh noes. That guy."

Not really much of a point in dragging another POV to the QI rehab facility. Martin could have skipped Brienne's sojourn there if that was the case.

I think it's pretty simple to see how everything will end up...

Cersei will somehow be able to get Qyborg on the Kingsguard. They will find out about Oakhart and need to add someone, there is undead Gregor's way in. Then if the Queen gets her champion the Septon will need to find a champion of his own, Elder Brother will here the news tell Brother Sandor and then Stranger will be seen heading to Kings Landing. OH what a great fight that will be.

Can't wait to see Cersei burn in hell!

I dunno, how do they get him on the Kingsguard now? Jaime's not going to do it, he's in honorable mode now and is trying to bring some of the old honor to the status of Kingsguard, he's not going to want an undead monster Gregor. Which leaves Kevan (or whoever ends up ruling for Tommen), and why would he want to help Cersei to that extent?

I dunno, how do they get him on the Kingsguard now? Jaime's not going to do it, he's in honorable mode now and is trying to bring some of the old honor to the status of Kingsguard, he's not going to want an undead monster Gregor. Which leaves Kevan (or whoever ends up ruling for Tommen), and why would he want to help Cersei to that extent?

Actually it's going to be Tommen who will appoint the next Kingsguard, I'm sure Qyburn will be able to handle getting him to say yes, especially when he says mommy said so.

Also I see Jaime coming to a cross roads soon and all because of his new "honor" - he's tainted and knows it, the only way for him to move on is to remove himself from everything that motivated the old cocky Jaime. I see him taking off the white, or getting killed trying to seem honorable. I can't wait to see him tell Cersei to go F herself and from now on she is by herself. I hope that before he quits the white that he writes the whole truth about everything down in the whitebook. sorry to go OT

I think it's pretty simple to see how everything will end up...

Cersei will somehow be able to get Qyborg on the Kingsguard. They will find out about Oakhart and need to add someone, there is undead Gregor's way in. Then if the Queen gets her champion the Septon will need to find a champion of his own, Elder Brother will here the news tell Brother Sandor and then Stranger will be seen heading to Kings Landing. OH what a great fight that will be.

It's not going to be this clear cut, I think. Dorne is going to try to keep the news about Arys on the DL as long as they possibly can, for one. Elder Brother is not going to tell or encourage Sandor to fight UnGregor, because this would be totally against the QI pacifist mantra. As someone else said, Jaime is not going to appoint Qyburnstein's monster to the KG, and Qyburn himself has been ousted from the Small Council, so he cannot just slip a piece of paper in front of Tommen to get his monster in. Sandor may end up fighting undead Gregor, but I don't see it happening this way. Maybe in the final book, if at all.

Jaime seems to think about Sandor quite a few times in Feast. And Brienne. And Sansa. I think it is most likely he will turn up in one of their POVs.

Personally, I hope somehow the Blackfish, Sandor, and Brienne team up to create the Stark Vengeance Squad. :smoking: I think if all three of them were to show up in the same chapter and interact, I would die of overdosage of badassness.

Not really much of a point in dragging another POV to the QI rehab facility. Martin could have skipped Brienne's sojourn there if that was the case.
One meandering PoV visiting all the places on the map in order for the author to describe the condition of the common man in times of war is good enough, no need to have two of them, or to revisit places and situations already explored. Tidings about Arya have been heard, we can move on to something closer to the plot and more streamlined.

Yes, Errant Bard, I was agreeing with you. I think Brienne's glimpse of Sandor is a superb way for Martin to reintroduce him later without the reader saying, "What? where has he been all this time?" Nor does Sandor have to explain the Quiet Isle to anyone, which would come off rather cheesy.

Isn't Tommen 8? I don't think Tommen is going to be appointing anyone. The Council and Kevan will do the appointing (or perhaps Jaime as Lord Commander). Tommen will just stamp whatever they put in front of him.

Well he is still the King, what the King says, is what is done. I'm sure Qyburn will be able to speak with him before any of the trials start.

Look guys we got to start ending some of these secondary character story arcs- there is too much left and supposedly only 2 other books to do it in after ADWD. Sandor's only remaining reason to be in the story is to officially kill Gregor for good or die trying.

Eh, not really the case though. It was ALLOWED to happen with Joffrey because Cersei closed her eyes and let it, but when the king isn't of age, he's not really in charge. The Regent is. Jaime, Tyrion, even Tywin have all implied as such (or in Jaime's case, said right out), that people shouldn't just do whatever the king wants without going to them first. And Tommen's even younger than Joff. He can say "I want monster Gregor in the Kingsguard!" but unless the Regent actually allows it, it won't happen.

Eh, not really the case though. It was ALLOWED to happen with Joffrey because Cersei closed her eyes and let it, but when the king isn't of age, he's not really in charge. The Regent is. Jaime, Tyrion, even Tywin have all implied as such (or in Jaime's case, said right out), that people shouldn't just do whatever the king wants without going to them first. And Tommen's even younger than Joff. He can say "I want monster Gregor in the Kingsguard!" but unless the Regent actually allows it, it won't happen.

I recall that Cersei said Joff would never accept Renly's "leavings" (Margaery) and Tyrion said that when he came of age he could give or withhold consent but in the meantime he would marry whoever the council told him to marry.

Also, Henry V (or VI, the one who married Margaret of Anjou) started threatening his tutors with retribution for being beaten when he came of age; he was about 8 at the time and King. His councilors called him in and had a nice chat with him about how the tutors had their permission to beat him him and he needed to stop.

Personally, I hope somehow the Blackfish, Sandor, and Brienne team up to create the Stark Vengeance Squad. :smoking: I think if all three of them were to show up in the same chapter and interact, I would die of overdosage of badassness.

roflmao! I think I would, too!

Look guys we got to start ending some of these secondary character story arcs- there is too much left and supposedly only 2 other books to do it in after ADWD. Sandor's only remaining reason to be in the story is to officially kill Gregor for good or die trying.

There are also the Others. It would be great if Sandor only came out of retirement in the true defense of the realm, when they go south. Or, perhaps his story is over. I doubt everyone will get neatly wrapped up, sometimes things just end.

• 4 weeks later...

He could pull a Lancelot from Excalibur. Went off to become a monk and comes back only when things are most dire. I would probably drop the book while cheering if I see that. Any appearance of Sandor Clegane is a most happy thing to me. I even have a drawing of him as my computer desktop at work.

He could pull a Lancelot from Excalibur. Went off to become a monk and comes back only when things are most dire. I would probably drop the book while cheering if I see that. Any appearance of Sandor Clegane is a most happy thing to me. I even have a drawing of him as my computer desktop at work.

:D eeeeeee! Me, too! He's one of my top five favorites! What drawing do you have on your desktop?!

I thinks he stays where he is. GRRM's writing is all about twisted clichés - the bastard boy who doesn't actually become king, the gallant prince who was destined to save the world but is killed by a rebel lord, and the brutal warrior who dreams his whole life of killing his brother but never gets the chance to do so.

I can't see Sandor getting back into the story in plausible way, and I'm not even sure I want to. Pleasing the fans has never been a very good way of writing a story. Does anyone think the presence of Boba Fett, R2-D2 and C3PO in the Star Wars episodes 1-3 made the films better?

Of course, if Sandor does come back in a way that both makes sense and is awesomely badass, I'm not complaining! But some things are better left alone, and I think this is a beautiful way of ending his character's story arc.

Archived