apostrophe coming up as symbols

chill

There is two "apostrophe" symbols, thise one : ’ and this one : '

Wich one is bugged ?

i see those two fine

Sometimes happens when people copy and paste stuff from the web, as well, where the character sets don't match.

ah i see

some examples of where i see weird symbols can be found in this post

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=8204

in the 2nd paragraph "my theory is that cersei's" i see that apostrophe as weird symbols

also in the 4th paragraph i see "He says “I heard what happened at the hall of lamps.†(pg 112)", "Kevan’s", and "don’t"

The problem concerns characters outside the standard 7-bit ASCII set. I use those a lot: proper quotation marks, dashes: “‘’”–—.

Whenever you edit a post using quick edit, the system seems to “strip away” all those bits—I’m not familiar with the details of the setup, but posts are presumably stored in a Unicode encoding such as UTF-8. But the “quick edit” textbox exports in a different encoding (might be plain ole’ 7 bits ASCII, might be some Windows codepage), so all is lost as soon as you save that.

You can avoid this by using “Full Edit,” which works.

Or you can just stick to typewriter typography: "Don't call me 'doofus,'" said Bob's uncle. Many board members do just that (a complete eyesore, of course!).

I also believe that after a recent server cleanup, all the old texts were stripped of their extra bits. In the past week or so, I’ve seen that all my old posts have been thus defaced. This typically happens when moving files with tools that don’t respect (or aren’t properly configured) other encoding systems. Go ahead an browse some old threads! It’s all ugly!

Archived