Westeros Blog: David Benioff Interview

Westeros

The Kansas City Star has an interview with David Benioff, co-executive producer and writer of HBO‘s Game of Thrones adaption. Benioff, an A-lister among screenwriters in Hollywood, is also a notable novelist and the interview largely concerns itself with his literary production. However, on the second page Benioff is asked about current projects. He responds: “I just returned from Northern Ireland shooting “Game of Thrones” (an adaptation of George R.R. Martin’s “A Song of Ice and Fire”) for HBO. I’m the writer and the executive producer with Dan Weiss, so we got to do everything, hiring the director, the actors. The shooting of the pilot is done. We’ll find out in March if it will be picked up as a series.”

This is yet another confirmation that March seems to be pretty unequivocally the date at which HBO’s decision will be handed down. Anything earlier or later than that will be pretty unusual, and perhaps significant.

Visit the Site!

<p>The Kansas City Star has an <a href="http://www.kansascity.com/238/story/1611344.html">interview</a> with David Benioff, co-executive producer and writer of <a href="http://www.hbo.com/">HBO</a>‘s <em>Game of Thrones</em> adaption. Benioff, an A-lister among screenwriters in Hollywood, is also a notable novelist and the interview largely concerns itself with his literary production. However, on the second page Benioff is asked about current projects. He responds: “I just returned from Northern Ireland shooting “Game of Thrones” (an adaptation of George R.R. Martin’s “A Song of Ice and Fire”) for HBO. I’m the writer and the executive producer with Dan Weiss, so we got to do everything, hiring the director, the actors. The shooting of the pilot is done. We’ll find out in March if it will be picked up as a series.”</p><p>This is yet another confirmation that March seems to be pretty unequivocally the date at which HBO’s decision will be handed down. Anything earlier or later than that will be pretty unusual, and perhaps significant.</p>

Visit the Site!

Hopefully it won't be later as Parris seemed to think of as a possibility. But it might be that Benioff just didn't care to add "or maybe april/may at the latest". Most people wouldn't care too much about the specific month.

Yes, I think March seems pretty solid. If the word comes in earlier... well, it's either really good news (they really, really love it) or very bad (they really, really hate it). We shall see. An earlier time -- just a few weeks -- could allow them to get pre-production going faster at least, and make a January opening a bit likelier...

Archived