Nights of Villjamur by Mark Charan Newton

JamesL

[quote name='Lyanna Stark' post='1713549' date='Mar 9 2009, 17.12']It was extra odd, since it gave me suggested titles by Adrian Tchaikovsky and S.L Farrell and the suddenly Twilight. I'll put it down to Amazon's arcane ways of trying to divine what your taste in books are. "SF/SFF? Clearly you just have to like Twilight and Eragon. We sell lots of those and according to our records you have not yet purchased any copies. Now you must buy them too, yes precious....you mussst."[/quote]

I think that amazon's system is set up to recommend popular books to (almost) everyone. Regardless of what you think about Twilight and Eragon, recommending them to all fantasy fans is a safe bet for amazon, since so many people like them.

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1715924' date='Mar 11 2009, 06.54']As long as we're making requests, I'd like to see Magnum P.I. make a cameo at some point in your series.[/quote]

I'd like to see the following making cameos: Optimus Prime, Gandalf, Mr T and Rasputin. The plot can revolve around them kicking seven shades of shit out of Edward.

Well, I'd pay good money to read it anyway. ;)

[quote name='The Evil King']That's some pretty nice hype.[/quote]

Indeed - and it's not been generated by the publisher either, but by readers. That's the best way - send the proofs out and let them speak for themselves, rather than writing ridiculous blurbs that inspire false expectation.

[quote name='TheEvilKing' post='1716094' date='Mar 11 2009, 12.55']Wow 4 pages, and only like 2 posters have read the damn thing. That's some pretty nice hype. It's even beating out the [i]Best Served Cold [/i]thread.

Mark, this book had better be [i]immaculate[/i]. :smoking:[/quote]

Best Served What? Never heard of it! :P *Peels back the curtains to watch out for an angry Abercrombie.* As for immaculate, well, that remains to be seen. I suspect there'll be a bit of hate coming my way, as well as a bit of love. And quite right - this is the internet, after all. :fence:

Now, off to shoehorn Mr. T into book two...

bossfan,

Considering your penchant for lighter, more traditional fantasy, I'd actually be very interested to hear what you thought of [b]Nights of Villjamur[/b]. From what I've read so far (125 pages), it doesn't really seem like a book that fall onto your radar.

Maybe Mark could get you copy?

Aidan....yeah, I do like the traditional stuff, but I have been trying to "expand" my horizons with the darker stuff. Admittedly I wasn't a fan of Bakker (coudnt finish book 3, yet I bought The Judging Eye just in case my tastes change)..but I did like Abercrombie a lot. I also really like winter settings, and stories where the city takes a major part of the story. James's review is what sold me on it. If it turns out to be more like Bakker or Richard Morgan, than say Abercrombie, it might not be for me. As for your other point..maybe Mark will see this and help a fella out :)

[quote name='bossfan2000' post='1716587' date='Mar 11 2009, 21.39']Aidan....yeah, I do like the traditional stuff, but I have been trying to "expand" my horizons with the darker stuff. Admittedly I wasn't a fan of Bakker (coudnt finish book 3, yet I bought The Judging Eye just in case my tastes change)..but I did like Abercrombie a lot. I also really like winter settings, and stories where the city takes a major part of the story. James's review is what sold me on it. If it turns out to be more like Bakker or Richard Morgan, than say Abercrombie, it might not be for me. As for your other point..maybe Mark will see this and help a fella out :)[/quote]

Hey, bossfan - drop me a line through here, or my site. I'll put you in touch with the good folk at Pan Macmillan, who can place a copy of the ARC (if there are some left) in your hands via the medium of the postal service.

[quote name='bossfan2000' post='1716587' date='Mar 11 2009, 21.39']If it turns out to be more like Bakker or Richard Morgan, than say Abercrombie, it might not be for me.[/quote]
I wouldn't say it's like either Abercrombie or Morgan, to be honest. In terms of prose, it falls somewhere between Steven Erikson and China Mieville. In other words, the prose is very good. :thumbsup:

For those of you who are interested (probably most of you, I'd imagine!) I've got a proof of [i]Nights of Villjamur[/i] to give away. Furthermore, Mark has kindly agreed to scribble on it. So if you fancy winning a signed proof, [url="http://speculativehorizons.blogspot.com/2009/03/win-signed-proof-of-nights-of-villjamur.html"]here's your chance[/url].

Btw, giveaway is open to everyone. :grouphug:

[quote name='Rob B' post='1717285' date='Mar 12 2009, 16.42']So Mark, are we going to see this book in the United States? :wideeyed:[/quote]

Well, I don't know. Tor UK and Tor US aren't as one as you'd think. Basically, Tor UK have world rights and have waited until the manuscript is edited before sending abroad for consideration, and the edit was only completed recently. It has received some interest though, so I have my fingers crossed...

[quote name='JamesL' post='1717099' date='Mar 12 2009, 06.47']I wouldn't say it's like either Abercrombie or Morgan, to be honest. In terms of prose, it falls somewhere between Steven Erikson and China Mieville. In other words, the prose is very good. :thumbsup:[/quote]

James, thanks for the clarification. Sounds interesting, though I haven't read anything by Mieville, and really don't have any plans to at this point. Regardless, I'm looking forward to reading Mark's book..sounds like I should have it pretty soon :) Once i read it, i post some thoughts in this thread, instead of the monthly reading thread as I normally do.

[quote name='JamesL' post='1717099' date='Mar 12 2009, 14.47']I wouldn't say it's like either Abercrombie or Morgan, to be honest. In terms of prose, it falls somewhere between Steven Erikson and China Mieville. In other words, the prose is very good. :thumbsup:[/quote]

Uh oh, somewhere between Steven Erikson and China Mieville? That's a bit mindboggling. :P

Don't get me wrong: I've read both and enjoyed them, but my mental images are now of something extremely wordy, with words that you wonder may be made up, combined with long, unedited philosophical ramblings. I'm going to be stuck all afternoon imagining an illicit lovechild of "The Scar" and "Deadhouse Gates". :lol:

[quote]Sounds interesting, though I haven't read anything by Mieville, and really don't have any plans to at this point.[/quote]

You should. :) "The Scar" is a most excellent novel.

[quote name='Lyanna Stark' post='1718305' date='Mar 13 2009, 07.02']Don't get me wrong: I've read both and enjoyed them, but my mental images are now of something extremely wordy, with words that you wonder may be made up, combined with long, unedited philosophical ramblings. I'm going to be stuck all afternoon imagining an illicit lovechild of "The Scar" and "Deadhouse Gates". :lol:[/quote]

Frankly, this isn't that far off the mark. It works, though.

[quote name='pat5150' post='1718849' date='Mar 13 2009, 20.37']Mark,

You get extra points if Mr. T is in! :P

Patrick[/quote]

I'll second that. If Mr T makes an appearance in the second book, I'll give it a guaranteed good review! Extra points if he beats up Edward, whilst screaming "You crazy fool!" :thumbsup:

Regarding the whole prose thing: while Mark's prose is stylish and has definite echoes of both Erikson and Mieville, it's not too wordy or dense. It flows very well, and manages the tricky task of being both reasonably accessible and sophisticated at the same time.

[quote][url="http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2009/03/nights-of-villjamur-by-mark-charan.html"]Nights of Villjamur[/url] is the debut novel by Mark Charan Newton, who has already published some short stories and a novella and is also known in the SF community for working for Solaris. The first novel in the planned four-volume Legends of the Red Sun series has already picked up an excellent review from [url="http://speculativehorizons.blogspot.com/2009/03/book-review-nights-of-villjamur.html"]Speculative Horizons[/url].

The Jamur Empire sprawls across the Boreal Archipelago and is powerful and rich. However, scientists and cultists (wielders of an ancient, mysterious technology which generate magic-like powers) have warned of the coming of an ice age which will, for a minimum of fifty years, bring death and desolation to the islands. The Emperor has ordered the stockpiling of vast amounts of firewood and firegrain to get through the long winter, but the Empire also faces other threats. The Emperor is paranoid, seeing threats in every corner, but the succession is difficult for his elder daughter and heir Rika is estranged from him. His younger daughter Eir finds herself unable to ease her father's pain, but the arrival of the handsome and dashing Randur to teach her swordplay and dance allows some laughter into her life. However, Randur has his own mission to conduct in the city.

Meanwhile, the murder of a prominent city councillor sparks an enquiry from the experienced investigator Jeryd. As Jeryd closes in on the truth, he realises that the Empire is riddled with corruption and he faces danger from his own allies, whilst all the while trying to repair his damaged marriage. Elsewhere, Brynd, the commander of the elite Night Guard, has his own secrets to hide when he is dispatched on a mission of utmost importance to the Empire, but uncovers evidence of even direrer threats emerging as the ice sheets advance southwards.

Nights of Villjamur is a multi-stranded novel with several different POV characters and a multitude of storylines, some of which are linked and others which (so far) appear unrelated. The story of an empire under threat from within and without is not unusual in the genre, but what is (relatively) unusual is that the author brings an interesting prose style and a more measured pace to bear on the book. The storyline unfolds deliberately, carefully, and the book's rich writing draws you into its world, the story and the lives of the characters in an accomplished manner. It's not a frenetically-paced, page-turner of the book (at least not until the last fifty pages, when events kick up a gear), but instead a work that immerses you in its world and demands you pay attention.

The city of Villjamur and its surrounding islands are vividly described and the characters are fascinating. The form of magic (relying on ancient technology only dimly understood by those who wield it) is also quite intriguing, and the snowy, cold landscape is well-drawn. There are a few problems, however. The political landscape of Villjamur is not described in as much depth as it could have been, and the ongoing struggle between the Emperor and the Chancellor is described only in fits and starts due to our main POV in that area, Eir, having other concerns.

Aside from that, this is a polished and accomplished debut novel and is well-recommended.

Nights of Villjamur (****½) will be published in the [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nights-Villjamur-Legends-Red-Sun/dp/0230712584/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237146438&sr=8-1"]UK[/url] on 12 June 2009 by Tor UK. [url="http://www.amazon.com/Nights-Villjamur-Legends-Red-Sun/dp/0230712584/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237146431&sr=8-3"]US import copies[/url] should be available around the same time. The author has a website at [url="http://markcnewton.com/"]this location[/url].[/quote]

[quote]There are a few problems, however. The political landscape of Villjamur is not described in as much depth as it could have been, and the ongoing struggle between the Emperor and the Chancellor is described only in fits and starts due to our main POV in that area, Eir, having other concerns.[/quote]

Uh oh. Doesn't sound quite so immaculate now, does it Newton?

After that horrible blasting I have my own concerns about the quality of this book and may have to boycott it.

[quote name='TheEvilKing' post='1720794' date='Mar 16 2009, 13.51']Uh oh. Doesn't sound quite so immaculate now, does it Newton?

After that horrible blasting I have my own concerns about the quality of this book and may have to boycott it.[/quote]

Indeed. Get the claws back in Wert.

Tough crowd.

Archived