Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty

Solmyr

I see the point, but to have every new mission working display a single new unit isn't my ideal set up either, at least I found the Reaper and the move-and-fire-tank-vs-trains missions annoying. I want time to play with my toys, not just having to discard them as soon as I get used to them.

Yup. StarCraft II had a varied campaign, but it varied things by employing gimmicks (almost a different one for each mission). It would arbritarily restrict your unit selection on many maps and force you do things to satisfy the story that you wouldn't otherwise do.

SC2 was easily the best overall single-player RTS campaign I've experienced in a long long while

This speaks more to the fact that the RTS genre has been moribund for the last few years than of SC2 being a terrifically brilliant game. Apart from the Supreme Commander games, there really hasn't been another serious RTS contender (Red Alert 3 being pretty bad, although C&C3 was okay) since Company of Heroes, which is now six years old.

Having said that, I haven't tried the Men of War series, which is very well-regarded.

Archived