Reading first book

ed s

How long are you planning before finishing the first book? I'm ahead of the tv series so far but am afraid I may not finish the book in several weeks. How much are you able to read each week? I wish I had more time to read more and run. My goal is to read an hour a day on weekdays and 3 hours on sat and sun but I find that hard. Have a great weekend!

Ed

I haven't set any goal as such. I read when I find the time if I'm not working or engaged in some other pursuit (like surfing the interwebs). On average, I have been reading 2-3 chapters per day, with more on my days off from work. Seriously, what is this "planning" you speak of? You sound like it's homework or something.

I haven't set any goal as such. I read when I find the time if I'm not working or engaged in some other pursuit (like surfing the interwebs). On average, I have been reading 2-3 chapters per day, with more on my days off from work. Seriously, what is this "planning" you speak of? You sound like it's homework or something.

I think planning ahead to read the book is a good choice especially now that the series is on. I have bought the book 5 days ago and i found that reading 100 pages per day is perfect. Doing that i was able to put my self in front of the 3rd episode and being able to watch while knowing the real story.

I think is very important to know what the book has said and who has said it as the TV series don't always say the truth exactly. It is very close to the real thing but there is some scenes where other people have done the talking in the book and other have done in the TV series. The one that really made me to see the difference is at the 3rd episode Tyrien Lannister gave advice to Joh Snow about why the others training persons didn't like him. But in the book the person that give that advice is Donal Noye.

I think the best plan you can make is to read around 100 pages in two days. The book is amazing and being able to see it on the screen after reading is a very satisfying experience. Also i found that reading while listening to a audio book of the first book Game of Thrones is very helpfull in the begining to be able to catch the way and the speed you should read each sentence and where to stop.

Medicinal

I'm not a fast reader. Considering my pace, I could probably finish the whole book in 30 hours.

Right now I'm a third through the book, but I'm not in a rush. As long as I'm constantly ahead of the TV series, I'm okay.

I'm not a fast reader either, but when I really get into a book like this I can't put it down until it's finished. I took it everywhere and read whenever I could find at least 5 spare minutes. With that in mind I was able to read it in just over a week. I wasn't trying to finish it in a certain time frame. I'm in the beginning of A Clash of Kings. I've slowed down a bit because I'm at part that isn't as interesting, but I'm sure I'll pick back up soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I first heard of this series of books when they announced casting but didn't really get into it until watching the show. I ordered the 4 book box set this morning but I'm not sure if I should reading it until near the end of the season. Don't want to ruin the potential twists and turns. What do you guys think?

I first heard of this series of books when they announced casting but didn't really get into it until watching the show. I ordered the 4 book box set this morning but I'm not sure if I should reading it until near the end of the season. Don't want to ruin the potential twists and turns. What do you guys think?

Whew, I'm finally able to get past the 'reply' glitch. Anyway, I answered you via messaging, so all's well. Welcome!

My fiance lent me this book a few days ago. As it happens he'd been given the book as a present some time ago and never got round to reading it. I read very fast and could probably have finished it in a day. But I want to savour every word as I know it'll probably be a while til I get the next one. Guess who my favourite character is.

My fiance lent me this book a few days ago. As it happens he'd been given the book as a present some time ago and never got round to reading it. I read very fast and could probably have finished it in a day. But I want to savour every word as I know it'll probably be a while til I get the next one. Guess who my favourite character is.

Leave these boards until you're done with all four!

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Leave these boards until you're done with all four!

Why in the world should she do that?? :dunno:

Welcome, Lady Midnight! Let's see, your favorite character is likely one of three--Jon, Arya or Tyrion?

It's way too easy to catch a spoiler

Nah, not likely, not if new readers faithfully stay within these threads. Besides, we're hearing a lot of new readers say they're watching the HBO series simultaneously with reading the books. And for sure, the tv series is major spoilerish, and is about to get even more so on the day after tomorrow!

I can really understand new readers' desire to come here and post--its exciting to share a great new discovery with others who're discovering it for themselves. Sometimes, you just wanna talk about it all, share, express your thoughts and feelings, and this is the perfect place for it. My two cents.

• 3 weeks later...

Nah, not likely, not if new readers faithfully stay within these threads. Besides, we're hearing a lot of new readers say they're watching the HBO series simultaneously with reading the books. And for sure, the tv series is major spoilerish, and is about to get even more so on the day after tomorrow!

I can really understand new readers' desire to come here and post--its exciting to share a great new discovery with others who're discovering it for themselves. Sometimes, you just wanna talk about it all, share, express your thoughts and feelings, and this is the perfect place for it. My two cents.

One errant click...

I started reading the series based on the first episode I watched on HBO. I finished the first book and had to find a forum and I found this. I think it's great and it's fun to come here and read what everyone else thinks about the books. Different POVs are nice. It's up to the person if they want to click on posts and potentially read spoilers. So far I haven't spoiled anything for myself and I don't intend to. So far I have found everyone is pretty good about saying if there is a spoiler in their post.

Don't worry about how others are reading the series. Read at your own pace, and enjoy yourself. If you are blazing your way through at a rapid clip and enjoying yourself, great. If you are going slow and enjoying yourself, also great. The important thing is to enjoy the reading. It's not a contest, it is a fine piece of literature that deserves your attention.

Now get yourselves back to your books. There will be a quiz later.

:pimp:

I'm not a fast reader. Considering my pace, I could probably finish the whole book in 30 hours.

Right now I'm a third through the book, but I'm not in a rush. As long as I'm constantly ahead of the TV series, I'm okay.

30 hours and you are not fast?

as in 30 hour straight? wtf?

i read it in 3 days :stunned: ... 30 hours? i dunno what fast is then.

• 3 weeks later...

One errant click...

I found spoilers more in talking to other newbies watching the show. My Mom told me that Ned died after about the 3rd episode (though neither of us knew how or when) and I wanted to kill her.

I got her back, though, because after the 7th or 8th episode, I accidentally (truly) told her that a friend of mine let it slip that Drogo died. I thought that she had told me that and confused the spoilers.

Anyway, any conversation about the books or series are fodder for spoiling. I, for one, cannot help needing to discuss.

Archived