Soundtrack Released on iTunes

Westeros

Originally, Ramin Djawadi’s soundtrack for Game of Thrones was scheduled to be released today, only to be pushed back to the 28th. We’re not sure of the whys or wherefors….

.... but HBO has gone ahead and given the soundtrack an early release on iTunes! Hear previews of all 29 tracks, which can be purchased at $0.99 apiece, or $9.99 for the whole collection. The iTunes digital album download appears to include a special “digital booklet” as an iTunes exclusive. Will be interesting to see if it includes never-before-seen stills.

Visit the Site!

BTW, if anyone feels like they're a reasonably discerning consumer of soundtracks who can discuss and write about them pretty well, I think Linda and I would be happy to feature a detailed review of the soundtrack, now that it's available. I love classical music and instrumental scores of all kinds, but I don't think I've sufficient vocabulary or in-depth knowledge to do a review justice.

If you're interested, please feel free to drop me a PM just to make sure we're on the same page as to what we're looking for. :)

Awesome just downloaded it after seeing this thread. While some stuff stood out on tv with everything else going on I forget how great the score for the show has really been. Listening to it now has reminded me how great it truly is. Also fun trying to work out where each piece was played :D anyone have any idea when "Goodbye Brother" played? (edit: just realized its when Robb and Jon say good bye ep 2)

Edit 2: I can't stop listening to "Finale" its just too epic especially the last little bit with the title theme mixed in.

Wow, that's not a kick in the crotch at all. I'm not buying into Apple's walled garden just to get this soundtrack. Why on EARTH do an early iTunes release?

If I ever meet the person behind this 'business decision' I will chop off his manhood and feed it to the nearest goat and/or other farm animal.

Awesome just downloaded it after seeing this thread. While some stuff stood out on tv with everything else going on I forget how great the score for the show has really been. Listening to it now has reminded me how great it truly is. Also fun trying to work out where each piece was played :D anyone have any idea when "Goodbye Brother" played? (edit: just realized its when Robb and Jon say good bye ep 2)

Edit 2: I can't stop listening to "Finale" its just too epic especially the last little bit with the title theme mixed in.

The melody with the cello in "Goodbye Brother" is also used in the end credits of episode 9 right after Ned was executed.

Really sucks that the CD doesn't come out for another two weeks. I don't use iTunes either, and even if I could I would rather pay to have the actual disc rather than the digital songs. Just me.

Same here, I mostly prefer physical CDs, which I then rip to iTunes in lossless format. I'll probably have to order the CD from Amazon, because I don't expect to find the score at a local music store. But since I don't really want to wait any longer than necessary, I'll probably purchase the album from iTunes if it becomes available there (in my region) before the CD is released (and then purchase the CD later).

Awesome just downloaded it after seeing this thread. Edit 2: I can't stop listening to "Finale" its just too epic especially the last little bit with the title theme mixed in.

I just downloaded it yesterday, and wow I have to agree with you that "Finale" is so amazing and epic. Do you know when Love in the Eyes is played? I'm guessing that is when Dany eats the horse's heart?

• 3 weeks later...

I'll post my impressions on the score here this weekend. I haven't received the CD yet, so I'm listening to the iTunes album instead.

BTW, the album appears to be selling relatively well. On iTunes it's on the featured albums list, and it's interesting to see that Ramin's name isn't shown on the album banner at all (only on the CD cover): It only says "George R. R. Martin" with big letters, followed by the album title. They apparently believe (and rightly so) that GRRMs name will draw more attention than the composer's.

I remember going into Best Buy after the second episode had premiered to see if they at least knew when it would be released and the employee didn't understand what I was looking for:

Me: Do you have the soundtrack out yet for Game of Thrones?

Saleswoman: Umm, let me check.....(5 minutes later). No I don't see anything for 'Gamer Thorns'

Me: No it's 'Game OF Thrones'

Saleswoman: Oh, uhhhh, no, nothing on Game of Thorns.

Me: No, it's THROOONES, like a chair a king sits on.

Saleswoman: OHHH! Um, no I don't see that we have that.

Me: That's o.k., do you know when it's released?

Saleswoman: Umm, no it doesn't say. Maybe in June?

Me: Thanks for your help (walks to car and before an aneurysm can strike)

Archived