Arya & Gendry

I'm slow in posting around here! But for what it's worth, I'll put my 2 cents in... or perhaps it should be 2 coppers.

I think Arya and Gendry would be a great couple. They're so alike in many ways, but so different. I'm JUST starting AFFC but...

I was so sad when she and Gendry parted ways in SOS! I thought he'd stick with her!

Anyway, Gendry is definitely more mature then Arya is, as she shows her affection by hitting him and pinching him. I think sometimes that's what a girl needs. I adore Arya, but I think because of her unruly personality, she needs a man that can reign her in at times. Someone that isn't afraid to tell her that she's wrong, knowing the risk of getting belted on the head! He seems to be able to be a walking conscience for her - he makes her think twice about her actions instead of letting her rush headlong in to situations.

Arya counters him as well. She pushes him to be braver and bolder. The poor boy hasn't seen much outside the smithy, so she's willing to take risks where he wouldn't. It's good for him to have someone not as cautious as him or he might have quit long before he did! I think she makes him realize that he doesn't have to settle for less then he's worth and that it's ok to dream for more even though it may be impractical.

I know there's been a thing about the age gap, but that difference only causes problemsfrom ages 11 to 18. You hear about an 11 year old dating a 16 year old and it's like "WHAT?!" The age gap there is more massive because of maturity, horomones and focuses on life. But the difference between, say, 23 and 28 doesn't seem so big anymore because you're focused more on the same things in life.

BUT, you have to remember that these books are supposed to take place when people didn't think of age the same way. A boy became a man much earlier, depending on the crcumstances, but usually around 13-16. A girl became a woman as soon as she "flowers". You didn't have the stages of young adult, teen, adolescent or whatever. They were either children or adults. Gendry is considered a man and Arya is almost a woman. People had MUCH shorter life spans back then, so it would completely make sense for them to get married after all the crap with the wars are over.

Sorry, I'm a history geek. Martin really knows his stuff! It's just that you can't really look with modern eyes and morals on books set in ancient times. I think Arya and Gendry would be a great couple!

......Of course, this is all sort of a moot point at the moment. Arya and Gendry went their seperate ways! I REALLY hope we see him again!

When they are older, they have to get together. I think they're pretty perfect for each other. They have to meet again,

Gendry must be feeling SO awful after Arya was kidnapped! I just want him to know she's still alive and unharmed

I really, really don´t think Arya would settle down enough to learn to like Gendry more than as a stupid, boring, replacement-for-older-brother. Sure she might have if lady Stark got her wish and Arya was brought up in Kings Landing to be... well, not a proper little lady but something closer to it. This way... I think she´s gotten too wild for that. Too much of a wolf. A bull might be too large to be prey but he still isn´t a hunter and thus can´t be in a pack, right?

I really, really don´t think Arya would settle down enough to learn to like Gendry more than as a stupid, boring, replacement-for-older-brother. Sure she might have if lady Stark got her wish and Arya was brought up in Kings Landing to be... well, not a proper little lady but something closer to it. This way... I think she´s gotten too wild for that. Too much of a wolf. A bull might be too large to be prey but he still isn´t a hunter and thus can´t be in a pack, right?

Oh I dunno. Even ninja queens need a hug and kiss now and then, and he's already trained to put up with her wolf blood BS.

My opinion here: Maybe when she older, and go back to Westeros, they could have a thing, but I honestly don't think it'll be a definitive thing, she's just to wild to settle down just like that, besides they're too alike and too different to work together

You know what I noticed in AFFC? Gendry had "replaced" his Arya with a very Arya-like replacement: Willow. She's skinny with brown hair (but brown eyes), she's very tough, and Brienne even asks herself "could this be Arya?" before discounting it, because she notes how all the children obey her and that she seems born to command. To me, this was an ironic resurgence of the friendship that Gendry had with Arya, another partner-in-crime who has Arya's personality. He probably misses the real deal, though -- and hey, who wouldn't :)

Sorry, but isn't this the "still reading" forum for Storm of Swords? You guys are killing me with the spoilers. There was an earlier thread where someone was talking about how spoilers ruin the experience, and people responded by piling on more spoilers! Uh...

Unfortunately I've had at least two major plot developments ruined by people posting spoilers in absurd places, like the Youtube video that's just a loop of Tyrion slapping Joffrey.

But this is the "still reading" forum. So please, can you show the tiniest amount of consideration and chill out with the spoilers?

You know what I noticed in AFFC? Gendry had "replaced" his Arya with a very Arya-like replacement: Willow. She's skinny with brown hair (but brown eyes), she's very tough, and Brienne even asks herself "could this be Arya?" before discounting it, because she notes how all the children obey her and that she seems born to command. To me, this was an ironic resurgence of the friendship that Gendry had with Arya, another partner-in-crime who has Arya's personality. He probably misses the real deal, though -- and hey, who wouldn't :)

Sorry, but isn't this the "still reading" forum for Storm of Swords? You guys are killing me with the spoilers. There was an earlier thread where someone was talking about how spoilers ruin the experience, and people responded by piling on more spoilers! Uh...

Unfortunately I've had at least two major plot developments ruined by people posting spoilers in absurd places, like the Youtube video that's just a loop of Tyrion slapping Joffrey.

But this is the "still reading" forum. So please, can you show the tiniest amount of consideration and chill out with the spoilers?

Okay, yes. I just looked it up. This is the STILL READING forum for A Storm of Swords.

So why would anyone come in here and start rattling off stuff about what happens in A Feast for Crows?

Real talk...would you like it if someone told you what's going to happen in the next three seasons of The Walking Dead? Or maybe you haven't watched classics like The Wire and Battlestar Galactica. It would be seriously uncool if someone carelessly told you the identities of all twelve Cylons, wouldn't it?

I don't mean to lash out at you in particular, but I dunno what it is with GoT fans that no one seems to care about potentially ruining the narrative for others. Your spoilers are relatively minor compared to others I've unfortunately run across in inappropriate places, but all the same. This is a "still reading" forum. Please be considerate. I'd be grateful for that.

Okay, yes. I just looked it up. This is the STILL READING forum for A Storm of Swords.

So why would anyone come in here and start rattling off stuff about what happens in A Feast for Crows?

Real talk...would you like it if someone told you what's going to happen in the next three seasons of The Walking Dead? Or maybe you haven't watched classics like The Wire and Battlestar Galactica. It would be seriously uncool if someone carelessly told you the identities of all twelve Cylons, wouldn't it?

I don't mean to lash out at you in particular, but I dunno what it is with GoT fans that no one seems to care about potentially ruining the narrative for others. Your spoilers are relatively minor compared to others I've unfortunately run across in inappropriate places, but all the same. This is a "still reading" forum. Please be considerate. I'd be grateful for that.

Ok first of all...classics like The Wire, and BG? Sorry, I just thought that was kind of funny. I don't apply that term to tv that is so recent, or even television in general. No, I wouldn't care, because I don't watch any of those shows. I'm not big into tv at all, actually -- the only show I enjoy is GOT (but that's based on a book) and Law & Order: SVU. *shrug*

I just didn't realize which part of the forum I was in; I could have sworn I was in the General ASOIAF one. I apologize, but I don't know why you're singling me out in particular...as you said, my spoiler was pretty minor.

Also, this is just my humble opinion, but I think that people should finish reading the entire series before coming to these forums, because spoilers like this inevitably happen. I'm not trying to excuse what I did, it just makes more sense to proceed in that order. I didn't join this forum until I had re-read the series twice.

I hope no one else spoils anything for you (not sarcastic).

Ok first of all...classics like The Wire, and BG? Sorry, I just thought that was kind of funny. I don't apply that term to tv that is so recent, or even television in general. No, I wouldn't care, because I don't watch any of those shows. I'm not big into tv at all, actually -- the only show I enjoy is GOT (but that's based on a book) and Law & Order: SVU. *shrug*

I just didn't realize which part of the forum I was in; I could have sworn I was in the General ASOIAF one. I apologize, but I don't know why you're singling me out in particular...as you said, my spoiler was pretty minor.

Also, this is just my humble opinion, but I think that people should finish reading the entire series before coming to these forums, because spoilers like this inevitably happen. I'm not trying to excuse what I did, it just makes more sense to proceed in that order. I didn't join this forum until I had re-read the series twice.

I hope no one else spoils anything for you (not sarcastic).

I've learned my lesson, and that's why I restrict myself to this particular sub-forum. I think it's great that one of the admins considered this section and put it up, especially since so many people are new to the series since the HBO show aired. It's nice to have a place to discuss the books with people who are in the same spot, narrative-wise.

Regarding The Wire...among critics, it's widely regarded as the greatest television show of all time. Among viewers, it has a loyal, cult fanbase that continues to grow long after the last episode aired.

I think most people don't realize what it is, which is why they may be reluctant to watch. It's not a police serial in any sense that we recognize. It's not even a cop show at heart. It's not a show about government, it's not a show about the drug trade, it's not a show about the near-extinct American newsroom. Those are all elements of it, but the whole is so much greater than the parts.

It's been described as a moving novel. And it has more to say about the way we live than any television show I've ever watched. Granted, you've gotta be in the mood for it and willing to watch some uncomfortable scenes. It's no comedy. But it is amazing and, yes, an all-time classic.

One more thing to say, and then I'll shut up. It's hilarious when people declare themselves above minor entertainments and pat themselves on the back for being bookworms. Yes, reading is great. Yes, it's almost always better than plopping down in front of the television.

But let's be serious here. GoT is not high literature, it has very little redeeming value, the prose isn't particularly good, and the next two volumes indicate that Martin is heading deep into Robert Jordan territory with no way out. If you enjoy it (and we all do, if we're here) that's fantastic, but let's not pretend it has any more value than a network TV drama.

Likewise, I know a lot of people who declare themselves above other entertainments, but read garbage. Self-help books. Political non-fiction by talking heads. Pseudo-scientific retardese. Celebrity tell-alls. Religious books.

Above what? Above nothing. Content matters more than the medium.

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about up there, but I agree about the spoilers. No more mentioning about anything that happens in Affc PLEASE!!! I want to read that book even less now I know that Gendry's in it. Who cares about Gendry now that he and Arya split ways?

As for Arya and Gendry as a couple...

I used to think and hope they would get together, when they were making for Riverrun. I had it all worked out: Once Arya was safe at Winterfell, Gendry would be named as Robert's rightful heir. Once they grew up of course he'd marry Arya! Sansa (also safe at home in Winterfell, after a very epic journey staring the Knight of Flowers) would be quite jealous that her tomboy sister ended up as Queen of the Seven Kingdoms...but no hard feelings, least of all once Dany showed up.

Needless to say, that's not quite how it worked out.

it has very little redeeming value, the prose isn't particularly good, and the next two volumes indicate that Martin is heading deep into Robert Jordan territory with no way out. If you enjoy it (and we all do, if we're here) that's fantastic, but let's not pretend it has any more value than a network TV drama.

I disagree with everything you said. What value it has is completely up to the reader to decide. I think it's about a hundred times better than a lot of modern day shows. Also, it's a bit hard to say the next two volumes are indicative of anything, considerg they're not out yet.

One more thing to say, and then I'll shut up. It's hilarious when people declare themselves above minor entertainments and pat themselves on the back for being bookworms. Yes, reading is great. Yes, it's almost always better than plopping down in front of the television.

I don't think that TV is a minor entertainment -- I think it's a major entertainment that almost everyone indulges in, unless they have no television and refuse to watch tv at other people's places. Just because I'm not a huge fan of tv doesn't mean that I'm patting myself on the back about it. I know the type of people you are talking about, and I think it's unfair to make a snap judgment like that. Maybe some people are fed up with the fact that television is being totally overrun by reality shows, or the new shows that target my age group (I'm in my mid twenties) seem to encourage taking drugs, having one night stands, drinking and partying, and other shit that constitutes being "cool" (I'm thinking of MTV specifically when I say this). There are definitely lots of great shows on tv nonetheless, but imho, so much of it is mindless bullshit.

But let's be serious here. GoT is not high literature, it has very little redeeming value, the prose isn't particularly good, and the next two volumes indicate that Martin is heading deep into Robert Jordan territory with no way out. If you enjoy it (and we all do, if we're here) that's fantastic, but let's not pretend it has any more value than a network TV drama.

Wow. Those are some pretty bold statements in so many ways! You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I personally believe that Martin writes wonderful prose. I'm also a huge Robert Jordan fan. Am I disappointed that he died and that Brandon Sanderson is finishing it? Yes, definitely. Did he maybe stretch it out for too long? Probably. Unfortunately, no one except a few knew his ultimate vision and the fact that he spent his last few months of life dictating what would happen in the books so that his fans would be happy, says a lot about his character. He could have done other things with his time (like watch The Wire) but he felt he had a duty to fans who, like me, grew up with his epic series.

That reminds me -- it's premature to say that he is "heading into RJ territory", with no way out. Why on earth do you think that? Because Dance wasn't written exactly the way you wanted it to be? It's EPIC FANTASY, Planetary. He's on the fifth book, projecting 7. There are so many other high fantasy series that have many volumes to them. I don't get frustrated by more books, I get excited to read more of his brilliant story.

Also, how can you say it has "very little redeeming value"? Why the fuck are you reading the books anyway, then? And are you a literature critic, to judge what is "high literature" and what is not? How about, the plot is intricate, raw, gritty, the characters are fully fleshed and three dimensional, and the prose, contrary to your opinion, is delightful?

Oh, well. I hate literature critics anyway. I've always been of the mind that they are pretty much useless as an institution of people. Not the people themselves, but what they represent - dissecting someone else's dreams and hard work and putting their stamp or approval or disapproval upon art.

Likewise, I know a lot of people who declare themselves above other entertainments, but read garbage. Self-help books. Political non-fiction by talking heads. Pseudo-scientific retardese. Celebrity tell-alls. Religious books.

Above what? Above nothing. Content matters more than the medium.

No one insulted the medium of television, except your "people", I suppose. Certainly no one here. So why bring it up? I have to agree with ManyFacedOne and say that I disagree with what you said.

Regarding The Wire...among critics, it's widely regarded as the greatest television show of all time. Among viewers, it has a loyal, cult fanbase that continues to grow long after the last episode aired.

"Of all time"? Or of the last decade? And are any of the unnamed "critics" you cite over 40?

Archived