Mance Rayder

George Snow

I came up with a new suggestion for Mance Rayder on the drive to work. It's either really inspired or quite the opposite.

Mance needs to have a very charismatic presence, and it would be a great help if the actor was an excellent singer, also.

Tim Curry

The only question is, would he at 65, be too old to play Mance Rayder? If so, is there another part that anyone thinks that he could play?

GH

I'd guess that now he's looking awful. My impression of Mance was that he is a pretty nimble and active character, having a 65 year old play him wouldn't work.

Especially considering he is supposed to have crossed over the wall to Winterfell during Robert's visit!

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't seen The Wire despite it having been recommended to me ages ago, but I went and looked up Dominic West and my god, he would make an amazing Mance Rayder. I actually have a rather strong image of Mance and he gets incredibly close.

I can see that.

He's a bit busy with the Hobbit at the moment, but what about Richard Armitage? He's got a Mance-y look to him, I think.

The two roles I could have seen Armitage (who I thought was frakking awesome on "Robin Hood" and pretty good on "Spooks") playing were Ned Stark or Bronn. He has the book-described "Stark look" but his performance on "Robin Hood" just screamed "BRONN!!!!!" at me in every episode.

Unfortunately, we will probably never see Armitage in GoT. At least not until any possible seasons 3 or 4 (ie: after "The Hobbit" movies are finished). And even then, he will be too big of a name to get easily for the show (again, because of playing Thorin Oakenshield).

The two roles I could have seen Armitage (who I thought was frakking awesome on "Robin Hood" and pretty good on "Spooks") playing were Ned Stark or Bronn. He has the book-described "Stark look" but his performance on "Robin Hood" just screamed "BRONN!!!!!" at me in every episode.

Unfortunately, we will probably never see Armitage in GoT. At least not until any possible seasons 3 or 4 (ie: after "The Hobbit" movies are finished). And even then, he will be too big of a name to get easily for the show (again, because of playing Thorin Oakenshield).

The Hobbit movies kill a lot of casting choices, don't they? I think back on LOTR, and how unknown so many of the actors were before it came out compared to the level of fame they have today and yeah, there's realistically no way that anyone with a major role in the Hobbit movies will do television -- even HBO. OTOH -- Sean Bean. And come to think of it, haven't most of the hobbits from the LOTR movies gone on to do television? Lost, Wilfred, 24, various BBC things... Maybe I'm entirely changing my mind here mid-post! :lol:

I haven't been following production of the Hobbit movies, and a cursory Google search doesn't reveal much, but I'm wondering if principal photography won't be wrapped fairly soon -- especially if Jackson films them back-to-back like he did with the others.

I stuck with Lost til the end and I loved him in it (despite how much I hate the show). He could be a great Mance too, but I'd have to hear the voice he would use. For me, Mance's voice is far more important than his looks.

Archived