[ADWD SPOILERS] Jon 2

Xray the Enforcer

I found something interesting in this chapter. When Jon is saying goodbye to Sam and to the others, he looked into the Gilly and the baby and he think that at that point the only person who is able to distinguish the babies is her. I think that maybe Gilly does not switched the babies as everyone think... ANd maybe this is the reason why this part of the book was "recycled" from the Sam's chapter... but it is just a guess of mine!

possible, who would blame her for taking her own child. There isn't much of a mention of the wildling babe after Sam leaves.

One amongst the things I've liked of this chapter is how Jon is gathering his skills.

I remember AGOT when he arrived to the Wall. He was so different!

He's had to learn the hard way, but he´d got good masters: Ned, Mormont, Quoryn, Aemon,.. even some wildlings

But, seriously, in AFFC Gilly is crying for her child she's left back all the way!

Yes, that's true, but I think she would cry no matter what baby she let in the wall. She give birth to one but she also take care of the other... And if she does not make the change, I think she would be facing a big dilema for her entire life... because, although Jon tried to separate her from her own child, he also wanted to save both of the childs. It's a complicated situation.

But, again, is just a guess, something that I think when I read this chapter.

Am I the only one with a twinge (read, ONLY a twinge) of pity for Janos? Let's take a look at what's happened to him so far... He was sent to the Wall by Tyrion on virtue of being Littlefinger's Man, if I remember correctly, and then he finally arrives at the Wall, which is in chaos, Wildlings are attacking, and Stannis comes to save the day. After a choosing, they finally pick Jon Snow, a bastard child that Janos views as "just a stupid kid who got lucky with who his daddy was", and is now forced to take orders from him.

He receives orders that, while tactically sound, can be interpreted as removing his NW influence without killing him off. By this point, I'd be pretty dang spiteful myself. And then he gets informed that he's going to die... And besides being an all around jackass and kill babies on the orders of his king, and there's PLENTY of other jerks and babyslayers in the series... He really hasn't done anything terrible.

Am I the only one with a twinge (read, ONLY a twinge) of pity for Janos? Let's take a look at what's happened to him so far... He was sent to the Wall by Tyrion on virtue of being Littlefinger's Man, if I remember correctly, and then he finally arrives at the Wall, which is in chaos, Wildlings are attacking, and Stannis comes to save the day. After a choosing, they finally pick Jon Snow, a bastard child that Janos views as "just a stupid kid who got lucky with who his daddy was", and is now forced to take orders from him.

He receives orders that, while tactically sound, can be interpreted as removing his NW influence without killing him off. By this point, I'd be pretty dang spiteful myself. And then he gets informed that he's going to die... And besides being an all around jackass and kill babies on the orders of his king, and there's PLENTY of other jerks and babyslayers in the series... He really hasn't done anything terrible.

And therein lies the beauty of ASOIAF, my friend. No one is 100% pure evil (yes even you Ramsay), no one is 100% pure snow (!) either. Even Janos has some mitigating circumstances which explains (part of) his actions. I agree with you that sometimes, you gotta look at things from the POV of the "bad guy" - I guess just like in real life, you try to look at things from the POV of a criminal or whatever to see what would have pushed him/her to act badly.

Looking for that side... I guess Janos is not that bad! However I think that Jon had no choice. That situation was an oportunity to demonstrate that he is not a "just a stupid kid who got lucky with who his daddy was" but rather a man who deserve to be respected.

And, lets face it... Sooner or later Janos will do something realy bad to Jon! And lets not forget about the time that Jon spend in the ice cages...

• 2 months later...

Forgot to mention, I really like the very end of this chapter, where Stannis meets Jon's eyes and gives him a brief nod. It's a very little thing, but I just felt like it was Stannis' way of saying 'Nicely handled.' Taking off Slynt's head for his insubordination was exactly the sort of unyielding justice that Stannis would approve of.

I could not help but have the feeling that getting rid of Slynt was planned when Stannis nods at Jon. When we see inside Jon's head, we know that he was trying to separate Alliser from Janos, and he really was trying to give Slynt a chance. But..when Stannis gives the nod, it felt to me more like he was saying "job well done", as in giving recognition of a well executed plan - instead of recognizing that he did the correct thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking about all the beheadings we've seen so far: Ned, Theon, Robb, and Joffrey (he orders it done). None of them have happy endings (except maybe Theon).

When I was reading ACOK, I noticed that Sansa at one point thought I hope someone cuts Slynt's head off.

The exact passage was:

Frog-faced Lord Slynt sat at the end of the council table wearing a black velvet doublet and a shiny cloth-of-gold cape, nodding with approval every time the king pronounced a sentence. Sansa stared hard at his ugly face, remembering how he had thrown down her father for Ser Ilyn to behead, wishing she could hurt him, wishing that some hero would throw him down and cut off his head. But a voice inside her whispered, There are no heroes...

I wish Sansa had knowledge of the fact that she's gotten her wish... and who it was who delivered it.

Archived