[ADWD SPOILERS] Davos 3

Xray the Enforcer

Man what a great book! I'll admit to hating Davos and skimming through his chapters in book 2 but he's one of my fav's now. I really hope that he doesnt die I dont get the feeling that he will, but I'm still a little worried.

Also I know im in the TOTAL minority here but does anyone else feel like the books get better after each volume? Maybe its because some total assholes spoiled books 1-3 for me and AFfC and ADWD are my first non-spoilery reads but I like each book more than its predecessor.

Man what a great book! I'll admit to hating Davos and skimming through his chapters in book 2 but he's one of my fav's now. I really hope that he doesnt die I dont get the feeling that he will, but I'm still a little worried.

Also I know im in the TOTAL minority here but does anyone else feel like the books get better after each volume? Maybe its because some total assholes spoiled books 1-3 for me and AFfC and ADWD are my first non-spoilery reads but I like each book more than its predecessor.

I completely agree. Each chapter gets better and better, as does each book. Can't wait til ADwD catches up to AFfC.

• 2 weeks later...

I know im in the TOTAL minority here but does anyone else feel like the books get better after each volume? Maybe its because some total assholes spoiled books 1-3 for me and AFfC and ADWD are my first non-spoilery reads but I like each book more than its predecessor.

Agree!! Roast the Freys! GRRM is the best!

AARRGGHHHH THE FREYS NEED TO DIIIEEEE *attempts to throw book across room in anger but fails to loosen fingers from tight grip*

ahem.

Thoroughly enjoyed that chapter! HAd a bunch of cheerleaders jump up and start whooping in my head when little Wylla Manderly spoke up for Davos and the Starks! YOU GO GIRL

and GRRM sure knows how to make a girl hate an entire family...Seriously Rhaegar Frey? Not only do you have the stupidest name ever (you can't name a Frey Rhaegar. you just can't.) but Robb AND HIS ENTIRE ARMY turning into wolves?

Yeah. I was right there with Davos doing goldfish impressions. :o

"What would a Frey know about honour?" BAM Davos pwnage :D

I think this is right. The big thing for me was right at the end, when that asshole is talking about how vile Robb was, Wyman looks at him as if he was a cockroach (or something), and then quickly he hides it, and out of the blue calls for Davos to be beheaded. Very suspicious.

Initially I had thought that Wyman thought he wasn't in a strong enough position to accept Davos' offer of vengeance there and then, but playing the long game, getting his son back and stabbing the Freys in their back when they least expect it makes more sense. I dearly hope Ramsey Snow is around for the fireworks, not least because such a confrontation may give Theon a chance for redemption.

I cannot believe that the Freys are going around with straight faces talking about how Robb and all the Northmen turned into freaking wolves.

Cracking read so far.

When Manderly was all happy that his son died a hero at the beginning of the tale I was dumbfounded, but then his looking at the Frey boy like he was a cockroach had to be a clue that he's gotten something planned. Hopefully Davos doesn't die!

• 3 weeks later...

I think like all of you Davos will survive. He can't end up like this.

Menderly (the big one included, or maybe only his cousin who bring Davos to the court ?) is obviously fainting his new friendship with freys & lannisters (that's why there is this public audience). As Wylla said, there are heavy bounds between them and the lord of the north, they have made an oath in front of Gods, something more strong than the frey bullsh*its.

He'll have his son back, and stabb the idiots Freys when they won't expect. Some sort of Red Wedding' payback. I can't wait to read that !

Maybe its wrong to try an figure out any kind of patterns MR. GRRM has laid out but one reoccurring pattern I see is whenever he kills off someone loved or important what have you...it happens within the chapter...He never ends the chapter with the notion that he will die in that POVs next chapter just to kill him anyway...He thrives on shock & awe an killing him in the next chapter wont be nigher...Now it could just be a ploy to deviate from the norm but I think Sr. Davos will be just fine.....

I am absolutely loving this book...I really enjoyed AFFC an maybe its just because I am happy to be reading about our favs again even if it means going back in time because it was the best way to go about it IMO...Ending the book half way as appose to splitting up the POVs was brilliant IMO...Everyone's POVs to me have been some of the best in any of the books thus far...From Jon cutting off Slynt's head to Bran meeting the green seer I think is GRRM at his finest IMO :drool: :drool:

• 2 months later...

It's not looking good for Davos, but I did notice Manderly eyeing that Frey with disdain. The public display in court makes me think he's up to something. Of course he has to play his part and get his son back. I always assumed Rickon had gone to the Reeds, but if he did make it to White Harbor, Manderly could indeed be hiding him. That would be an interesting development.

I had another thought about the ridiculous whale's tale told by the Freys of the Red Wedding. Robb turned into a wolf. Well it may be they are not completely wrong. This may not matter now, but is it possible that Robb died twice at the RW? Once as himself, and once as Grey Wind.

• 3 weeks later...

One brief pause and a look from Lord Wyman Manderly towards Rhaegar Frey told us all we needed to know regarding Wyman's feelings on the matter. While this does have me rather excited and really anticipating more story from White Harbor, I am curious how the rest of the court feels about the Freys and Lannisters.

Can we be led to believe that ALL of the Manderlys are THAT good at acting? I mean, they have nothing but respect from me if they could pull that off in this kind of situation with numerous witnesses in attendance. At least we know how Wylla truly feels about Stark loyalty, which honestly makes it all the more perplexing (and had me swell with pride for her). It is quite unusual for you to see that sort of unwavering loyalty towards a liege lord during this war and the wielding of power changing hands so often.

I hope to see more of this from GRRM.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Can I just say, I absolutely love Wylla Manderly? That girl is kick ass. If only there were more people like her around, maybe Westeros wouldn't be so screwed up.

I really think that Lord Manderly is playing into the Freys, and he'll turn out to be a good guy. At least, I really hope so.

As always, love Davos.

• 2 months later...

So Stannis is out there trying to win the favor of the Northmen. And all these Northmen maintain their loyalty to Ned and Ned's kids. Why isn't Stannis pushing the fact that Ned himself favored Stannis (even though they weren't friends) to take the Iron Throne back in GoT? Seems like this fact would hold a lot of weight with all these Northmen. I realize that Stannis doesn't have hard evidence and it would be just be Northmen having to take his word, but that didn't stop Stannis from sending out the ravens decrying Joff being the product of incest. Seems like Stannis needs to play this card big time.

Stannis never knew anything about it. Ned's letter to stannis never made it out if king's landing. Also Robb was proclaimed the king in the north and stannis can't measure up to an independent north kingdom ruled by a stark.

• 1 month later...

When I finished Davos II I had no choice but to skip a few chapters right away and read Davos III, and I'm so tempted to do the same again but I'm holding myself back for now.... I didn't think it was possible but I hate the Freys even more than I did. They need to die. Wylla was excellent, as was Davos. I really hope the theories in this thread are correct and Wyman is going to turn on the Freys and marry Wylla to Rickon, that'd be excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was a great chapter for Davos because of his interactions with the Freys. What really took me by surprise was the Frey's description of the Red Wedding. I literally had the same reaction as Davos and wished I could have been there to call them on their shit.

It does make sense that the Freys would create propaganda about the Red Wedding though to try and defend what little honor they have left.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Tyrion drowned and Davos sent to lose his head!? You can't fool me GRRM, I won't believe it :P

haha indeed no way im buying that :P

Wylla awesome i hope shes beiing married rickon lateron while manderling and davos will totally own that filty freys.

Great chapter GRRM!

• 1 month later...

Tyrion drowned and Davos sent to lose his head!? You can't fool me GRRM, I won't believe it :P

Same here.

The chapters seem quite short at that point in ADWD: Reek, Jon, Davos, Tyrion,... This is good: fast-paced storytelling, as there are so many locations to visit and POVs to get the story from. Awesome.

Lord Too-Fat-To-Sit-A-Horse might not be the most visually attractive character, but he certainly kicks ass and is playing the Freys big time. I am starting to like his whole family too - if it is really all an act, they all played their parts superbly. Hell, Davos himself is fooled!!

Archived