[ADWD SPOILERS] Jon 8

Xray the Enforcer

John is being stubborn and in inflexible just like Ned was in King's Landing.

He doesn't compromise on anything, and is only pissing everybody off. I think he'd achieve much more by being a bit more political with his brother's councils... Sometimes doing the right thing needs some compromising, or you end up losing all that you fought for!

Ned died for the very same reasons. And I'm starting to get a bit stressed about Jon's future!

I don't think I can handle another Stark death!

• 4 weeks later...

Is anyone else wondering if Osney Kettleblack ever came around to leave King's Landing to execute Cersei's plan to infiltrate the Night's Watch and have Jon Snow killed? I know when we last saw him he was locked up in the sept, but the story has developed from there, hasn't it? Somehow I catch myself waiting for the assassin attack and wondering if any of the currently mentioned characters around Jon could be Osney in disguise?

• 1 month later...

Is anyone else wondering if Osney Kettleblack ever came around to leave King's Landing to execute Cersei's plan to infiltrate the Night's Watch and have Jon Snow killed? I know when we last saw him he was locked up in the sept, but the story has developed from there, hasn't it? Somehow I catch myself waiting for the assassin attack and wondering if any of the currently mentioned characters around Jon could be Osney in disguise?

IIRC he is still locked up awaiting Cersei's trial. After the tourcher he went through I don't think he could make a long trip North.

• 1 month later...

Since the events occuring during DwD are happening at the same time as events in affc Osney's current actions at this moment may be right around when he's just arrested by the sept.

edit: on this chapter: I was just thinking if the burned city is being inhabited by wildlings/evacuees. Could it be possible Benjen stark may be amongst those there?

I know there's the theory that BS = CH but It was never really confirmed. CH to me was a wight who was under the control of Bryndan

• 1 month later...

Bowen is not happy and no one is on Jon's side. I see now what Jon is doing..but it seems like nobody realizes that the Others are coming and that they need to prepare. Its like they forgot? or don't still believe?

and the grey girl has to be Val now..I wasn't sure before...but this to me makes sense.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone else think that the place where Mother Mole is with her wildlings, is where Osha took Rickon?

In the Davos chapter at White Harbor, the iron born boy marked the place on the map. Davos referred to it a little obscurely... but to the effect, that there was some sort of cannibalism.

Now, in this chapter there was some mention of cannibalism as well as part of the horror that happened there a few hundred years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

This is a really old conversation, but I must write here after reading this chapter. I'm having a strong feeling there is something going on with this ice-fire, a wall of ice and Qarths black wall and now we learn about Hardhome, whitch sounds a lot like Valyrian doom to me, something coming from the heaven and sinking the whole place. After reading from tyrions POV what happened to Valyria and now reading this what happened to hardhome, so much similarities. Other place in north and other in south. Sorry for poor writing, English is not my native (as you probably have quessed already ;)).

• 5 weeks later...

Contributing to an old conversation too, because initially I didn't like this chapter but having re-read it, I like it more and more. It is quite short (as is the norm in this part of ADWD) but there is more in it than meets the eye:

- Jon talks to the Giant - very cool, I wonder what will develop from that

- keeping the corpses in ice cells: another good move. Jon doesn't know what makes corpses become wights, so I can understand his experiment.

- Sending Val away: bold move. Incidentally, how awesome is Val? Going into the haunted forest, on her own, in the midst of the beginning of winter. I know she is one tough lady but still - it takes balls, if you excuse the turn of phrase. I think I am falling in love ;-)

- Jon does what the hell he wants. Risky but ultimately, who else could be LCotNW? He is unliekly to be challenged by anyone with enough support. So he has capital, and he is using it. Well done. I agree there are parallels with Dany's arc here. Dany's slaves <=> Jon's wildlings

• 1 year later...

I generally think the reason the corpses don't reanimate is because the magic in the Wall isn't allowing them to.

(old thread, I know). I don't think so: didn't the wights that attack Mormont & Jon reanimate at Castle Black? Always wonder about those two, since I too thought it's the wall that keeps the Others (& the wights) out.

Archived