[ADWD SPOILERS] The Iron Suitor

Xray the Enforcer

Just a wild thought.

Is that possible the red priest murdered the real Vic and turn himself into the iron captain?

Mel can do it to Mance, why not Moqorro? It also explained why the POV change from Vic to 3rd party, because he's dead!

Then who is playing Moqorro?

I love Vic too btw, he is proper hard! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering:

If the idea that the "perfumed seneschall" is not Reznak but in fact the "Stinky Stewart" is right (and the riddle is to nicely twisted to not being read like this)...

Who should Dany beware of then?

Tyrion? Unlikely. We know he could be an asset to Dany. Mormont? Also unlikely. So how about Morroqo? He definitly seems like somebody to beware of, at least.

Just wondering:

If the idea that the "perfumed seneschall" is not Reznak but in fact the "Stinky Stewart" is right (and the riddle is to nicely twisted to not being read like this)...

Who should Dany beware of then?

Tyrion? Unlikely. We know he could be an asset to Dany. Mormont? Also unlikely. So how about Morroqo? He definitly seems like somebody to beware of, at least.

I was wondering this myself. If Victarion's fleet takes over the stinky steward then it's Victarion Quaithe warned her of and not Tyrion and Jorah. (Except for the reference to the lion.)

I think that she has to beware of all of them, not because they wish to do her harm, but because they want to draw her into their plot for Westeros, which I think Quaithe is warning her away from for now. Maybe that's why her to go South you have to go North stuff comes from. Similar to Osha saying that Robb was headed the wrong way in his war, that he should be heading north. Quaithe could be warning her that there's another battle she has to fight for now before she heads to Westeros.

I was wondering this myself. If Victarion's fleet takes over the stinky steward then it's Victarion Quaithe warned her of and not Tyrion and Jorah. (Except for the reference to the lion.)

I think that she has to beware of all of them, not because they wish to do her harm, but because they want to draw her into their plot for Westeros, which I think Quaithe is warning her away from for now. Maybe that's why her to go South you have to go North stuff comes from. Similar to Osha saying that Robb was headed the wrong way in his war, that he should be heading north. Quaithe could be warning her that there's another battle she has to fight for now before she heads to Westeros.

I agree with u about Quaithe warning is not about them hraming her, but not about the stinky steward being Victarion, since she already warns her about the "Kraken"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else find the paragraph long transition from third person limited to a third person omniscient perspective at the end of the chapter extremely jarring and abrasive, especially after approximately 4,500 pages of a strict limited perspective for each POV character? I thought this was a cop out so Martin didn't have to deal with writing about magic and explaining exactly what happened to Victarion and I find it pretty disappointing, especially this far into the story. It just felt so off, reading about events happening to a POV character second-hand.

Although it was clearly blood magic and the similarities to what Mirri Maz Durr did to "save" Drogo are apparent. I wonder if the Dusky Woman was sacrificed to perform this spell? I find it interesting that the red temples delve into shadow binding and blood magic and all that nasty stuff. Up until now I had just assumed it was something that was unique to the red temples of Asshai.

The perspective change was unwarranted. I just re-read the chapter on my re-read. Don't think I caught that first time around. Rather cheap by GRRM.

I'm not even going to lie. I straight up skipped the Victarion chapter and figured I'd read up here to find out if anything major happened. Bad flashbacks to all the boring ironborn chapters in AFFC and I told myself.... well, life's too short, I can always go back and re-read it later.

I'm not even going to lie. I straight up skipped the Victarion chapter and figured I'd read up here to find out if anything major happened. Bad flashbacks to all the boring ironborn chapters in AFFC and I told myself.... well, life's too short, I can always go back and re-read it later.

Too bad cause this are actually getting interesting .

Too bad cause this are actually getting interesting .

OK, I went back last night and read this, since I came upon Victarion 1 and thought I'd best get familiar. Very interesting twist! I wonder what is going on with that hand...

• 3 weeks later...

It seems like the perspective change must be because something happened that GRRM doesn't want to tell us about just yet-wonder if there's another Victarion chapter?

I also wondered if the dusky woman could be the one poisoning Vic since she was so unhappy to see the red priest? She's is bandaging it so she could be doing something to infect it.

"Later singing was heard, a strange high wailing song in a tongue the maester said was High Valyrian. That was when the monkeys left the ship, screeching as they leapt into the water."

So the singing was so bad that it forced the monkeys to commit mass suicide? Kind of like lemming mass suicide!

"As he opened the door to the captain’s cabin, the dusky woman turned toward him, silent and smiling … but when she saw the red priest at his side her lips drew back from her teeth, and she hisssssed in sudden fury, like a snake."

What was that all about? Is there some previous personal history between these too, or was it a general reaction towards a red priest? A very hostile reaction, I must say!

In one of the last lines, the red priest thinks he's seen "the wench wed, but it won't be the first time Victarion Greyjoy made a widow" - what does this mean?

I think it means that the red priest saw Victarion marry Daenerys and then die, thereby making her a widow.

Is this the beginning of conversion of the Iron men from believing in the Drowned God to believing in R'hllor?

What makes you think that? Towards the end of the chapter, Victarion has the red priest overthrown. If Victarion had been satisfied with the Red Priest's treatment and had then subsequently adopted the faith of the light god, then maybe we could think along those lines...

I wonder if the Dusky Woman was sacrificed to perform this spell?

I agree that maybe the dusky woman has been sacrificed in the procedure to heal his hand.

Was there anything in the text to suggest this? Did I miss something?

What makes you think that? Towards the end of the chapter, Victarion has the red priest overthrown. If Victarion had been satisfied with the Red Priest's treatment and had then subsequently adopted the faith of the light god, then maybe we could think along those lines...

I'm pretty sure he had the maester thrown overboard, not the red priest...

Wind and Words, on 20 July 2011 - 01:32 AM, said: In one of the last lines, the red priest thinks he's seen "the wench wed, but it won't be the first time Victarion Greyjoy made a widow" - what does this mean?

Oops first I thougt this was about the thing with his wife after Euron messed with her, but of course she wasn't his widow after he killed her. I think it is what it seems: Victarion killed a lot of people, and with no doubt married men were among his victims.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I feel like something really needs to be addressed.

What is with all the highborn lads sharing their most vulnerable secrets with mute underlings? Both Jaime and Victarion have confided in people who've had their tongues torn out as if they were magical walking diaries who would be forced to take their secrets to their graves, and that seems like such a stupid thing to do. I mean, even if they are illiterate, anyone can be taught to read if the stakes are high enough. What's to stop Ilyn Payne from writing the entire realm about Jaime's poor swordfighting skills, or someone opposed to Victarion from putting in some time and effort and fishing the information out of the dusky woman? We already saw this happening with Manderly and that ironborn boy, so it's not like it's unprecedented.

Hell, what if Euron knows the dusky woman can read and write and put her there to spy on Victarion? Are these lords really so stupid to be cautious about everything else and not worry about these things at all?

Really, other than that, great chapter. Obviously really intrigued by the ending. I can't seem to remember, but was Moqorro as pitch-black as Martin lengthily describes the last time he was seen?

I'm thinking that GRRM puts these mutes in so it's easier to show us what each character is actually thinking without spending several paragraphs just talking about their thoughts without any interactions. This way Jaimie can be swordfighting and we can learn that he is no longer competent and several other things he's thinking. Same with Victarion.

And I think most people already suspect, or they know, that Jamie can no longer fight. I mean he got his sword hand cut off. I think his reasoning to fight with Ilyn Payne was because Ilyn is a good swordsman and he won't go around bragging to the whole camp every night how he was beating the heck out of Jamie. Writing, "Jamie can no longer fight" is a lot less detremental to his reputation then a drunken knight walking around camp telling every squire that Jaimie Lannister is worthless.

And as for the Victarion chapter, I'm really interested to see what happens with his "new" hand. I would have to imagine it plays a big role in the next books.

I love Vic.

A real man's man. He doesn't talk alot, doesn't think alot, just takes care of business.

By ruthlessly and in a matter-of-fact-way disposing of people he cannot use or thinks of as being worthless?

For me his chapters in ADWD were a difficult read.

Archived