Benjen Stark

Arya79

I have a theory on Benjen as well.

I am convinced that Benjen is undercover with the Wildlings. I am supposing that an alliance will eventually form with the wildlings and other free cities against the supernatural ones from beyond the wall. I think the buried black cloak was Benjens and he had figured out the dragonstone trick.

• 1 month later...

I wish. But, sadly, that is too obvious for GRRM to do.

That is exactly what I think.

My opinion on Benjen is, that he could be as well dead. It would be the most likely alternative. Everybody on the wall thinks he is dead. If he does not have anything important to tell, let's say about Jon's parentage, or anything, I believe he will stay dead. Chances are nobody will ever find out what happened to him.

Apart from being a Stark, he is very minor character so far. Although I would like to see him pop out again somewhere :D

That is exactly what I think.

My opinion on Benjen is, that he could be as well dead. It would be the most likely alternative. Everybody on the wall thinks he is dead. If he does not have anything important to tell, let's say about Jon's parentage, or anything, I believe he will stay dead. Chances are nobody will ever find out what happened to him.

Apart from being a Stark, he is very minor character so far. Although I would like to see him pop out again somewhere :D

Honestly, with so many characters unceremoeously killed off, I think it's a safe bet that Benjen's dead and gone. I think Coldhands being his wight is a good theory or at least just the fans latching on to the character, but I think winter came early for Benjen Stark.

Sam would probably have recognized Coldhands as a Stark, and surely Bran would recognize his uncle. I think Benjen is alive, but not as Coldhands. I doubt Coldhands is connected to the buried items at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought it interesting that Bran recalled the Night's King right before we met Coldhands at The NightFort. Clearly Coldhands is dead, a wight? and so there is some magic afoot here that can't be explained by what we already know. Certainly Coldhands appears to have other magic - his control of the ravens for instance, and the fact that he is not rotted like some of the other wights.

That got me wondering: if Coldhands is not Benjen Stark and Benjen is dead (he might not be, I like the idea of him also being undercover with the Wildlings) then what was the purpose of Benjen Stark in the story? It might have been that Bejen's connection to the wall is what draws Jon there, then his disappearance serves to leave Jon all alone; in his aloneness, when Jon learns of Eddard's death and Robb calling the banners and wants to run to join him, he has no one else sharing the same feelings, no one else who might also be struggling with his vows and his conscience. It makes Jon's suffering at this moment all the more ... stark *heh*

So Benjen being dead does serve the story, and therefore it is possible.

I thought it interesting that Bran recalled the Night's King right before we met Coldhands at The NightFort. Clearly Coldhands is dead, a wight? and so there is some magic afoot here that can't be explained by what we already know. Certainly Coldhands appears to have other magic - his control of the ravens for instance, and the fact that he is not rotted like some of the other wights.

That got me wondering: if Coldhands is not Benjen Stark and Benjen is dead (he might not be, I like the idea of him also being undercover with the Wildlings) then what was the purpose of Benjen Stark in the story? It might have been that Bejen's connection to the wall is what draws Jon there, then his disappearance serves to leave Jon all alone; in his aloneness, when Jon learns of Eddard's death and Robb calling the banners and wants to run to join him, he has no one else sharing the same feelings, no one else who might also be struggling with his vows and his conscience. It makes Jon's suffering at this moment all the more ... stark *heh*

So Benjen being dead does serve the story, and therefore it is possible.

This makes sense, but I don't think GRRM keeps referencing Benjen Stark in the books just to taunt us then kick us in the balls when we find out he is dead.

for what it's worth, i thought Benjen in the HBO show was the most accurate portrayal of a character in the entire series. absolutely perfect

Really? I thought Arya, Jon, and Robb were all incredibly accurate to the characters (if you ignore HBO's minor changes in their stories).

for what it's worth, i thought Benjen in the HBO show was the most accurate portrayal of a character in the entire series. absolutely perfect

I acutally thought Arya and Jon were very very close and Lena Hedly as Cersei is brilliant. The guy who plays Tyrion is great but too 'good looking' but he get's the intelligence and arogance of Tyrion very well. Khal Drogo was cast very well too eh? :)

I acutally thought Arya and Jon were very very close and Lena Hedly as Cersei is brilliant. The guy who plays Tyrion is great but too 'good looking' but he get's the intelligence and arogance of Tyrion very well. Khal Drogo was cast very well too eh? :)

I didn't like Lena Hedly because I didn't find her as stunningly beautiful as I imagined Cersei. She did a great job, I just wish she was more beautiful. The books really emphasize how gorgeous Cersei is.

I didn't like Lena Hedly because I didn't find her as stunningly beautiful as I imagined Cersei. She did a great job, I just wish she was more beautiful. The books really emphasize how gorgeous Cersei is.

Really? Lena Headey is a gorgeous woman, especially for her age and as Cersei, when she has to wear wigs all the time.

Really? Lena Headey is a gorgeous woman, especially for her age and as Cersei, when she has to wear wigs all the time.

I think she is good looking, but the book describes her as being one of the most beautiful people in the Seven Kingdoms. Some of the whores on the show looked better.

I think she is good looking, but the book describes her as being one of the most beautiful people in the Seven Kingdoms. Some of the whores on the show looked better.

Alright, you got a point there. But she's good enough for Cersei, in my opinion, her performances are brilliant.

It would be very cool if he were coldhands....but my 1st thought was that 'cold hands' was Mormont....because of the ravens:)

I don't really think Mormont is coldhands becouse than Sam would surely have recognised him right? but he just mentioned him as coldhands. My thoughts arrent clear as to Benjen but it's a possibility. Still need to get to the chapters though only heard him mentioned once yet. It could also be a "dead" child of the forrest as it is mentionded they rode elks and it fits the Brann storyline. Im really looking forward to read more about this and seeing it get a little more clearer as to who this coldhands might be.

• 4 months later...

I wish. But, sadly, that is too obvious for GRRM to do.

I have to agree in terms of GRRM style of writing. Although:

By the end of Asos, every wildling, giant and man is down south at the wall. Except for the Others, what would occupy Benjen in the north with none around? It would be very odd if he didn't have a clue of the wildlings southern crusade against the wall and he has the motives to return to the wall and aid the nights watch - but can't? either because he's dead, or he's Coldhands (who actually aids a black brother/Sam) or a whole other reason.

Coldhands have knowledge of the Wall and the Castles around it which naturally, Benjen also had. Allthough this knowledge is a bit extensive for a ranger of the nights watch: That the Wall is more than mere ice and stone and the weirwood door

Couldn't Coldhands be one of the (last) children of the forest/greenseer? I havn't read beyond Asos though. Now that

Bran is travelling with Coldhans we'll probably learn more of him.

In any case, i think we'll see the character of Benjen during the last two books.

(Spoiler about the setting for the last two books ahead) GRRM stated that The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring will take us far north (to the uncharted lands/lands of always winter).

Really? I thought Arya, Jon, and Robb were all incredibly accurate to the characters (if you ignore HBO's minor changes in their stories).

arya for sure. robb looks like a man from the start. jon i honestly didnt like in the show at first (started reading after the first season), he seemed really emo. arya probably should have been ugly but character-wise shes perfect.

Archived