Balon Greyjoy

DornishHighlander

I've no idea if this has been mentioned but the feeling on the board as I read it is Balon should be a big star cameo. What about John Noble, recently rewatched Return of the King - he was awesome, characterization less so- anyone else feeling Denethor for the Seastone Chair?

Not a good fit imo.

I liked Stellan Skarsgård in King Arthur...

Liam Neeson fits Balons description...(he is described as skinny with gray hair in his 50s.)

Liam Neeson also looks like the guy who plays Theon a bit...

But his voice seems wrong to me.

But I don't know..Balon is one of the harder ones since you want it to be a powerful actor.

True both are very good fits and I agree Balon has to have a certain gravitas to his performance. Since SDCC the budget has been referenced quite a bit. Casting someone like Neeson or Skarsgard; Skarsgard is in The Avengers and Neeson has been rumored to be in The Dark Knight Rises plus 2 other movies both price tags will be considerable. Just trying to be pragmatic. I'd love Neeson or Skarsgard but I'd rather have a big Blackwater and big Battle @ the Wall.

I've no idea if this has been mentioned but the feeling on the board as I read it is Balon should be a big star cameo. What about John Noble, recently rewatched Return of the King - he was awesome, characterization less so- anyone else feeling Denethor for the Seastone Chair?

Yes, yes, yes! John Noble was exactly who I was imagining when I was reading the books. He was one of the only characters I had a good visualization of an actor for!

Dont get me wrong I think Noble is great, but his role as Balon would be almost identical to his role in LOTR. That kind of casting demeans the show and the actor, in my opinion. I'd love to see Ray Stevenson or Kevin McKidd in this show too although not necesearily both of them and definitely under a new personality.

Also like i said in a previous post whoever plays Balon should be able do display a glimpse of what young Balon was like, a demigod with the personality of Euron and Victarion combined and more. Noble is just to old to do that.

Oberyn in regards to your comment that the actor must show some former grace/power what about Bernard Hill?

Could be. But still hes not that imposing. But if you realy want someone from LOTR how about Christofer Lee?

Wouldn't that be too gimmicky, especialy after Bean in season 1?

I'm afraid of this.

The problem with casting a name to play Balon is that after what happened with Sean Bean, having a big star playing Balon would all but hang a neon sign over his head that said: “This character is going to DIE!

That's exactly why I wish they would cast at least one new "big name" type actor each season in a role that doesn't die (yet, or at least that season). Like Purefoy for Mance Rayder. We'll have Mance for several seasons at the least (I have not read aDwD so I have no idea if he is still alive at the end of it). Having at least one new character played by a well known actor survive each season will lead to the audience (who hasn't read the books) to be left wondering.

I'm afraid of this.

The problem with casting a name to play Balon is that after what happened with Sean Bean, having a big star playing Balon would all but hang a neon sign over his head that said: “This character is going to DIE!

Archived