What would make the best Prequel series?

memmorio

The thing with Robert's Rebellion, and more specifically Lyanna and Rhaegar's story, is that it's mystery is a central part of this series. I don't think Martin will ever give us all of the answers or a full look at what happened. Somebody (probably Howland Reed) will fill in most of the blanks but I don't think we'll really get a look at what the love story really was and stuff like that.

Robert's Rebellion but I wanted to think outside the box. How about a life biography of Aemon Targaryen. His life covers so much history you could see his views on the succession, war of Ninepenny Kings, downfall of Targaryens, Robert's Rebellion, Balon's Rebellion, upcoming crisis at the Wall, War of the Five Kings. ALL of that could be put into one meganovel.

Of course the most interesting would be the Robert rebelion.... because we already know a lot of the characters that would be in that book, many whom are dead and are missed. But I think by the end of ASOIAF we will know almost all the secrets so the charm of the story would be kind of broke. The first Blackfyre rebellion again would be interesting, but we find out a looooot about it from the Dunk and Egg stories.... which are kind of too close to the rebellion. So with these 2 out of the way, there is only one more thing which would be just as intersting:

The Dance of the Dragons war of course!!! Come on, a war between Targaryens, both sides with dragons, kingsguards and so on. We already know that a lot of the smaller targaryen branches were destroyed in this war, and most of the dragons. It could be said this infighting is the moment that magic died in Westeros. Anyway, I think GRRM already thought about making a story out of it, because he gave us a lot of small detalis about an event completly unimportant for ASOIAF!!

• 7 months later...

I'd kinda like to see Roberts Rebellion, just because we know the characters and I wouldn't have to get used to a whole new set. That and I want to experience Rhaegar/Aerys in person. You could even start off with them a couple years before then build up to the Rebellion.

Definitely would opt for the buildup and rise/fall of the Blackfyre Rebellion. The court drama in itself sounds like a version of "The Tudors", but on steroids.

Another option is the epic battles between the First Men and Children of the Forest Vs The Others, during such a dark era.

First Men vs. Andals vs. Children!

Yes!

I think it would be great to read about the andal invasion and its consequenses.

I also think it would be cool to learn more about the Night's King, not as a legend, but as a real-time factual story.

Some Free cities stories would also be great: the founding of Braavos and the early faceless men would be interesting. Also, we know about the Doom, but what about the history of Valyria? How did they tame dragons in the first place?

Archived