[ADwD Spoilers] Top 10 favorite characters (post ADWD)

Whitebeard

My list of favorites:

1. Sansa Stark

2. Tyrion Lannister

3. Sandor Clegane

4. Cersei Lannister

5. Victarion Greyjoy (I really couldn't stop laughing)

6. Arianne Martell

7. Arya Stark

8. Bran Stark

9. Lord Manderly

10. Margaery Tyrell

1. Jaime Lannister (miles above anybody else. Pretty much anything he says/thinks I find awesome in some way).

2. Ned Stark

3. Theon Greyjoy (I always had a soft spot for him but his chapters were just the best in Dance)

4. Bran Stark

5. Tyrion Lannister (he used to be higher)

6. Brienne of Tarth

7. Davos Seaworth

8. Wyman Manderly (I never tire of "Frey" insults)

9. Arya Stark

10. Catelyn Tully

Being that the question is "post ADWD" I'm going to limit it to living characters.

Theon - Easily the best total character arc and most believable character development in the series. Snarky, pompous noble who is colorized by being a fish out of water. Goes home thinking he'll be welcomed but instead finds himself ignored and mistrusted. His pride shattered, he tries to win back the respect of his people and his father. Ends up captured and tortured, and realizes that he'd betrayed the only real family he'd ever known.

Tyrion - His arc in Dance was a bit mediocre, but he's still, overall the most entertaining character in the series.

Bronn - Ruthless, pragmatic, straightforward. What's not to like?

Victarion - While I was not a huge fan of the Iron Born chapters because they seemed largely irrelevant and better left as a "Hey, did you hear this happened?" in another character's chapter, this guy wears off on you. He's vicious, he's deplorable. But he gets things done.

Jaime - It's a hard thing to go from most hated to most liked, but Jaime did it. You can almost forget at times that he murdered Jory and the others, and tried his hardest to murder Bran. But he (was) really just devoted to his sister and his family. He gets a lot of crap for murdering Aerys, and it's understandable to the context the characters in the story view him. In the real world, outside reader context, what he did was understandable, almost commendable. Tywin engineered the rest of the sack of King's Landing. Jaime just murdered the psychopath on the throne. Guys plotted to murder Hitler, and we cast them as heroes. Jaime isn't a good guy, but I have a hard time casting him as a villain anymore.

Daven Lannister - I can't put my finger on it. He's barely had any page time in the books, but he struck me in Feast as a no-nonsense, pragmatic character (which I commended Bronn for). He's not looking to be a hero, he's not full of himself. He's able bodied, and likable, which makes him unique among Lannisters, lol. I kinda hope he doesn't disappear into the background again or get murdered horribly, lol.

Barristan - I almost left him out for being an accomplice to one of my least favorite characters, but he was so awesome before the Meereenese debacle.

Davos - He endures and carries on.

Varys - He's focused, ruthless, pragmatic (again), and he did what he could to help Ned.

Aegon/Young Griff - I really don't care a whole lot about him, but he's the only Targaryen who does anything. There have to be bonus points for that.

Mentions:

Brienne - Liked her better before she was a POV character.

Wyman Manderly - Fat people disgust me, especially those who are so fat they can barely move, so I can't be a fan. But Soylent Frey is made of people!

Jorah - His arc in Dance set him back. Before that he'd have made the list.

Queen of Thorns - She tells it like she sees it.

Archived