[Q&A] Patrick Rothfuss Chat Thread

Ran

Pat,

I feel that you (and Martin) are writing fantasy for an older audience. Do you see your work as strictly “fantasy fiction” to be lumped in with the Harry Potters of the world or do you think of it as something else?

I don't worry too much about how my books are labeled. I write Fantasy. I try to write Really Good Fantasy that's worth the time and energy people take to read it. But it doesn't make a difference to me if someone else writes a fantasy novel that I don't like. What would I do then? Throw down my hat and storm out the room, saying, "That's it! I quit fantasy! Don't call me a Fantasy author any more!"

No. That's stupid. I write fantasy.

I've been an artist almost my whole life. Every so often I'll draw something and be surprised (at how happy I am with it) so much I can't believe it came out of my hand. Is there one thing in the story so far that happened as kind of a happy accident or otherwise that you can't believe you're the creator of? This question had much better structure in my head, btw...

I love big, long books like yours. I mean, its really two and half novels in one, if you think about it. And of course it helps that it doesn't suck, either :)

My next question for you is:

Why a trilogy? I have to be honest, I'm kinda getting tired of the trilogy format. I'm not addressing this directly at you, per se. But I think the "trilogy" as an idea is becoming tired and overdone. They almost always follow the same formula. Book 1 establishes the characters and gives them a victory to be prowd of ... Book 2 the villan has some kind of victory and puts the characters through some major hardships ... Book 3 the main characters overcome adversity and win, maybe losing a main character or two, but ultimately winning.

What was it about our series that made you choose the trilogy format?

One of my favorite aspects of your books is the metafictional structure which I imagine goes like this:

The story of Kvothe actually at the inn

The story Kvothe is TELLING at the inn (might not be entirely true!)

The actual reality of Kvothe’s story

The quasi-factual myths about history/religion revealed in Kvothe’s story

The actual real history of the world that you’ve created

Given this wonderfully deep structure, I always read your work as a commentary on the reliability/utility of storytelling itself. Is this a consequence of your writing, or a more intentional part of the process?

This is a question I wanted to ask you at SDCC but I'm always to shy to ask panels question. I really enjoyed that panel by the way, though I wish it had just been you, Sanderson, and Martin.

You mentioned before Wise Man's Fear came out that if it did really well you'd like to get involved with making more Firefly with Nathan Fillion.

Have you been able to speak to Nathan Fillion about it? Is it something even on your radar? Or was it more idle fantasy?

I apologize if this has been asked elsewhere I have not seen it.

Hey, signed up after seeing your post on Facebook..

What I'd really like to know is why Kvothe, being the genius that he is, never once thinks to see his troupes patron during his struggles?

Also, read your blog yesterday, and after the high recommendation for Christopher Moore, I downloaded "Bloodsucking Friends" on my eReader, and am loving it, so thank you!

Hey (and yay) from sunny Greece! :-P

I'm not even gonna ask if there is ever going to be a chance of including Greece in a European tour (arghhh.... I need to relocate..), but have you got any news about greek translations of the Kingkiller Chronicles? I would love to have them in our school library (yeap.. English teacher geek here... ;-P) so I can yoda kids into more fantasy and also, infest all my friends' libraries with them... I did a bit of internet search on the subject, but nothing concrete (or leafy) came out of it.

(Keep up with the blog and fb as long as you enjoy it, since this gives us geeks in the sticks, a chance to get a taste of an interesting world!)

:-)

You mentioned at one point that you were a little peeved that Martin had managed to outdo you in word count, A Dance with Dragons vs Wise Man's Fear. Do you plan on outdoing him on the next book and by how significant of a margin?

p.s. I don't really care how long the book is as long as it's good writing.

Dear Forum masters: The board is telling me I'm posting too much, and it's saying I can't post any more without waiting for a while.

Why don't you just bump my account up to Administrator so we don't have to dick around with my settings during this Q&A? Rest assured, I'm not going to run around wrecking everyone's shit with the power you give me.

Dear Forum masters: The board is telling me I'm posting too much, and it's saying I can't post any more without waiting for a while.

Why don't you just bump my account up to Administrator so we don't have to dick around with my settings during this Q&A? Rest assured, I'm not going to run around wrecking everyone's shit with the power you give me.

If ever there was a need for "Muhahahahahahahahaha!" ... this post was it!

Pat,

I took a day off from work and drove five hours to DC to see you speak during your most recent tour. I was very excited to meet you and ask a question, but when I finally did get to ask it, you basically laughed at the question and did not answer it. Needless to say, I was kind of bummed out, and was hoping you might have an answer for me today. I realize your tour was completely crazy and you had probably reached the end of your rope by the time you hit DC, or maybe you just hated my question and I deserved to be mocked 

Either way, my question is: Are you going to tell us about your adventures in writing fanfic? I check your blog every day hoping that that the story will be told. I can’t handle cliffhangers. It is driving me insane. Plus, if there is something cool out there that you wrote, or there will be something cool out there that you wrote, then I want to know about it.

Thanks,

AutumnRLS

Hey Pat, is great to have you here. I really love your books.

One simple question. You have the ending of the story from the beginning of your writing (like the last chapter already complete in your mind) or you have change it along with the story itself?

p.s: sorry for my syntax, English is not my main language D:

Archived