[Q&A] Patrick Rothfuss Chat Thread

Ran

I'd love to work with Fillion on it. Unfortunately, I have no real way of contacting him. He's all rockstar famous. He doesn't know who I am.....

HaHAHHA! You are known all over the world! I read your books and George Martin and I have no idea who Fillion is....so there ya go.

Hey (and yay) from sunny Greece! :-P

I'm not even gonna ask if there is ever going to be a chance of including Greece in a European tour (arghhh.... I need to relocate..), but have you got any news about greek translations of the Kingkiller Chronicles? I would love to have them in our school library (yeap.. English teacher geek here... ;-P) so I can yoda kids into more fantasy and also, infest all my friends' libraries with them... I did a bit of internet search on the subject, but nothing concrete (or leafy) came out of it.

(Keep up with the blog and fb as long as you enjoy it, since this gives us geeks in the sticks, a chance to get a taste of an interesting world!)

:-)

We had a greek publisher for a while, but with the problems in the economy they ended up having to scrap the project.

We're hoping to get it out there sooner or later. And I'd love to make a visit, too. It's just an issue of when I can find the time....

Bonjour Mr. Rothfuss.

Is there any chance you will be visiting Ireland/Northern Ireland at any point in the near future? You should definitely indulge us red haired fans.

Ryan

Unfortunately, I don't have anything in my plans right now. Though I *really* want to go.

It probably won't be too long before you see me there. Hopefully within a year or two.

I've been an artist almost my whole life. Every so often I'll draw something and be surprised (at how happy I am with it) so much I can't believe it came out of my hand. Is there one thing in the story so far that happened as kind of a happy accident or otherwise that you can't believe you're the creator of? This question had much better structure in my head, btw...

Not just one thing. Many things. It's one of the best parts of writing.

Pat,

I took a day off from work and drove five hours to DC to see you speak during your most recent tour. I was very excited to meet you and ask a question, but when I finally did get to ask it, you basically laughed at the question and did not answer it. Needless to say, I was kind of bummed out, and was hoping you might have an answer for me today. I realize your tour was completely crazy and you had probably reached the end of your rope by the time you hit DC, or maybe you just hated my question and I deserved to be mocked 

Either way, my question is: Are you going to tell us about your adventures in writing fanfic? I check your blog every day hoping that that the story will be told. I can’t handle cliffhangers. It is driving me insane. Plus, if there is something cool out there that you wrote, or there will be something cool out there that you wrote, then I want to know about it.

Thanks,

AutumnRLS

I'll write the rest of that blog eventually. I've just got so many things to do, and a lot of blogs end up being time-sensitive. That one isn't, so it has to wait on the backburner for a while....

You mentioned at one point that you were a little peeved that Martin had managed to outdo you in word count, A Dance with Dragons vs Wise Man's Fear. Do you plan on outdoing him on the next book and by how significant of a margin?

p.s. I don't really care how long the book is as long as it's good writing.

Nah. I actually try to keep my books as short as possible.

I know, that sounds weird coming from a guy with such huge books, but it's the truth. I probably cut 100,000 words out of The Wise Man's Fear over the last three years.

Hey Pat, is great to have you here. I really love your books.

One simple question. You have the ending of the story from the beginning of your writing (like the last chapter already complete in your mind) or you have change it along with the story itself?

p.s: sorry for my syntax, English is not my main language D:

Yup. I've known the end of the book from pretty much the begining. I've had a draft of it written since 2000.

And your English is lovely, by the way....

I'd love to work with Fillion on it. Unfortunately, I have no real way of contacting him. He's all rockstar famous. He doesn't know who I am.....

You could ask Felica Day to pass along a message? I'm pretty sure she knows him... and I know he follows her on twitter...

Question, hoping it's not spolierific: Is the rhyme which Kvothe is scolded by his mother for repeating and the song his father was scolded by his wife for singing totally subtle and awesome hints in regards to his aunt? Trying to be as massively vague as possible, hoping you know what I'm talking about and I'm not reading too much into it...

Thanks in advance.

Pat

A question sparked by a question! You said you've created things you've been proud of, but through my own experience I know you can write something you are immensely proud of at the time and then a day or two down the line wonder how you could have written anything so terrible. I guess what I'm trying to ask in a silly, convoluted way is; is there anything in the Chronicle that you've later come to feel isn't quite up to scratch?

Katie

Hey Pat

[/bypass fangirling]

Just wondering if you've ever had a serious case of writer's block (I'm talking months here) and how you managed to overcome it?

Katie

I answered this one in an interview a while back on Crossed Genres.

http://crossedgenres.com/blog/interview-patrick-rothfuss/

I'll cut and paste the answer here for the people too lazy to click a link....

You have mentioned at con panels that writers block is a myth. Where does the myth stem from, and how does it surface in your own writing habits?

The myth stems from the belief that writing is some mystical process. That it’s magical. That it abides by its own set of rules different from all other forms of work, art, or play.

But that’s bullshit. Plumbers don’t get plumber’s block. Teachers don’t get teacher’s block. Soccer players don’t get soccer block. What makes writing different?

Nothing. The only difference is that writers feel they have a free pass to give up when writing is hard.

As for the second part of your question, asking how it surfaces in my writing habits is like saying. “So, you’ve said that Bigfoot doesn’t exist…. When’s the last time you saw him?”

When writing is hard, I grit my teeth and I do it anyway. Because it’s my job.

Or sometimes I don’t. Sometimes its hard and I quit and go home and play video games.

But let’s be clear. When that happens, it’s not because I’ve lost some mystical connection with my muse. It’s because I’m being a slacker. There’s nothing magical about that.

You said that you are obsessed with stories, with their shape, and stories within stories.

Given that the earliest stories we have are stories of peoples lives, I was wondering how much your fiction crossed into your real life here -

do you ever feel compelled to make sure your own life follows a story arc with something resembling a beginning, middle and end?

No, not really. I try to be happy, treat people well, and do good in the world. That's more important than a storyline.

I'm working on a sequel to The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle. And I'll probably dabble a little bit in comics before too long, trying out that storytelling format to see how it works for me.

Maybe an urban fantasy novel. I think I could have some fun with that....

I like both of those answers, a lot. After reading NOTW/WMF I thought to myself how awesome it would be to see you do something akin to Stephen King's Dark Tower series. I dunno if you're a fan of him at all, but the whole vibe of a world that has 'moved on' is usually pretty excellent, I think.

You told someone to re-ask their other questions after saying 1 per post, but they didn't re-ask this one and I think it's a really great question so I'm gonna ask it too...

Mostly a few typos and a few minor inconsistencies that slipped in when I was making revisions. Nothing big in terms of the story.

Pat, I love you.

How do you like fame and fortune?

Thank you for writing a wonderful world for getting lost in.

Lauren

It's okay. But honestly, I was probably happier as a broke college student. Less responsibility. Less stress. More time to spend hanging out with my good friends.

Those were the good old days....

Moo, hey there!

I really hope you answer this one, as it's been going through my head quite more than a little.

After finishing The Wise Mans Fear, (beyond sadness that I'd now have to wait years for another book) I felt a sense of anxiousness.

There is a LOT for Kvothe to do before the series ends. He has to kill a king, get thrown out of university, (possibly) find the Chandarian and start a war.

Does it ever concern you that you have to fit all that into one book?

Thanks!

Archived