[Q&A] Patrick Rothfuss Chat Thread

Ran

Hi Pat,

To what extent does consciously following, avoiding and subverting tropes influence your creative process?

P.S. Big fan - it's awesome that you are doing this Q&A.

Do you honestly expect me to answer an essay-style question like that in the next two minutes before I have to tear out of here?

Well folks. I can hear the churchbells outside, so I know it's 5:00. Normally I'd hang out for a while, but I have to go meet Sarah and Oot for dinner. I haven't seen either of them yet today, so I really don't want to keep them waiting....

Thanks for all the great questions. I hope I managed to give you a laugh or two, even if I couldn't give everyone the information they really wanted.... I really don't go in for spoilers.

All my best,

pat

Thank you so much Pat! I feel especially greedy having taken up two questions whilst you could have been spending time with your family, so I want you to know how much it's appreciated. I have no way of expressing how much except to tell you that your books are on my top shelf next to Terry Pratchett's (well he takes up a shelf and a half by himself but you get the idea).

Katie

Thanks, Pat!

That was a fun one, if hectic. How'd everyone like this approach to a Q&A? Maybe we'll invite more authors to give it a go, if people liked it.

Loved it! I'd definitely like to do it again. I'd love to see this style Q&A with Sanderson, Scalzi, Butcher, Weeks, Abercrombie... okay, you get the idea.

Thanks, Pat!

That was a fun one, if hectic. How'd everyone like this approach to a Q&A? Maybe we'll invite more authors to give it a go, if people liked it.

I uhhh.... Joined your forum for it, so I'd say it was pretty good. I'll be stopping back, as I'm also a Martin fan.

Thanks for the Q&A!

Ah, damn timezones. Meanwhile in Australia: I just woke up. *sigh*

Some good questions and answers. I enjoyed reading this topic, and now I think of it, I didn't have any questions that weren't already asked so it's all good.

Ah, damn timezones. Meanwhile in Australia: I just woke up. *sigh*

Some good questions and answers. I enjoyed reading this topic, and now I think of it, I didn't have any questions that weren't already asked so it's all good.

I was actually reading the thread as it went down and was considering a question, but ultimately decided that the good questions for this format had already been asked. So good on ya board.

Though I was sorely tempted to ask him how he was so awesome, to be a suck-up and all.

Thanks, Pat!

It's been great. Definitely up for an encore!

Thanks, Pat!

I concur that it was fun and would definitely like to see another round of Q&A done in this style. Pat actually did those a few times on his blog already (which I regularly missed due to them being done spontaneously).

• 1 month later...

Great idea with these Q&A's Ran. However, in the future I (and I am sure others) might prefer more advance notice of there being an author Q&A'd. Say, an announcement on the forums around 3 weeks or so before the interview.

Apart from that, perhaps some way to ensure that forum regulars have preference for getting their questions answered first, before newbies who join the site just for that one Q&A and will never come back here again.

Archived