[Q&A] Patrick Rothfuss Chat Thread

Ran

I played it a lot when it first came out. I was there in the beginning. I bought and sold and traded cards before the internet existed. For a couple of years, I helped pay my college tutition with the money I made off magic.

I traded my way up to the full set of mox. I had the power seven and a nice beta black lotus.

But I quit years ago. Sold off my cards and haven't played in a decade. There's too many weird rules now, it would be a pain in the ass for me to get back into things....

:( Aww, well probably for the best. MTG can be very... distracting :)

How do you feel about the love it/hate it praise/criticism of the Fae/Felurian chapters?

I don't know much about it. I don't spend a lot of time trolling around, looking for online discussions of my work.

I knew some people weren't going to like it, because fantasy readers are mental about having sex in their books. I swear, it's like they're 12 year old boys who still think girls are icky. And kissing them is extra icky.

It stems from the Tolkien tradition, of course. Pretty much no women. No sex. Just a bunch of guys questing and slapping each other on the back. With VERY rare exception, nobody ever talks about a girl (or guy) they might have left at home. Nobody is in love. For all you know, Gandalf is smooth as a ken doll under those robes.

It worked pretty well with Tolkien, because he was following along in this ancient tradition of the Saga. But I'm telling a different sort of story, it's the story of a young man's life. How can I tell the true story of a seventeen year old boy and not have mention of sex in it? Am I supposed to pretend he's been neutered?

Meh. So yeah. As a writer, you get used to the fact that some people are going to hate what you write. You can't live in fear of that. If you do, you'll never get anything done.

Hey Pat! First, I want to thank you for stopping by for the signing in Austin. Texas sometimes gets passed over for tours, and it was really cool that you made it out there.

I suppose if I've only got one question, it would be... Did you side with the mages or the templars at the end of Dragon Age 2? I actually enjoyed the story, despite the game itself not feeling quite complete (at least when compared to Origins).

Thank you for taking the time to answer all of our questions!

PS: favorite scenes from tWMF were training with the Adem and Felurian. I also loved Kvothe describing Fela falling for Sim.

Oh man. Don't get me started on Dragon Age II....

Hi,

Do you intend to do another trip to Europe? If you do - is there a chance you might convince Sarah to you will visit Germany instead of Italy?

I'm sure your many german fans (myself included) would love to attend one of your readings/signings!

I'll be in Germany in November. Keep an eye on my blog for details.

I don't know much about it. I don't spend a lot of time trolling around, looking for online discussions of my work.

I knew some people weren't going to like it, because fantasy readers are mental about having sex in their books. I swear, it's like they're 12 year old boys who still think girls are icky. And kissing them is extra icky.

It stems from the Tolkien tradition, of course. Pretty much no women. No sex. Just a bunch of guys questing and slapping each other on the back. With VERY rare exception, nobody ever talks about a girl (or guy) they might have left at home. Nobody is in love. For all you know, Gandalf is smooth as a ken doll under those robes.

It worked pretty well with Tolkien, because he was following along in this ancient tradition of the Saga. But I'm telling a different sort of story, it's the story of a young man's life. How can I tell the true story of a seventeen year old boy and not have mention of sex in it? Am I supposed to pretend he's been neutered?

Meh. So yeah. As a writer, you get used to the fact that some people are going to hate what you write. You can't live in fear of that. If you do, you'll never get anything done.

I guess the only problem I've ever had with that whole sequence in the books was how quickly it happens on top of the Cinder encounter with the bandits. I keep thinking to myself who odd it is that Kvothe has all this shit happen to him right after the other. There are no breaks in his life .. no transitions. Its difficult, some times, to identify with his character because of how amazing fast all these things happen to him and how often he comes out on top in each situation. He's kinda devoid of major failures. He's almost a Drizzt (a character I dispise) ... don't get me wrong .. I overlook it because I do enjoy the story but while I didn't feel it at all during NotW, I started to think about it far more often in WMF.

Guys, Pat hasn't read ASoIaf (yet, anyways!)

When you're writing, are you in a fully analytical mode as you're putting words on the pages, or are you being engaged emotionally as you're writing it? I've heard some fans mention scenes where they've cried in your books, and I wonder if the act of creation means that you're necessarily more emotionally distant from the work than a reader might be.

Hi Pat, I LOVE YOU. Would you consider to conquer the world with me? BTW, I met your evil twin, epic bear included. He lives in Argentina, so maybe you should consider to come and visit us.

Have a nice day!

Archived