Ben Crompton is Dolorous Edd?

Westeros

We were asleep when George posted this rather late casting clue, so all the guessing has been done and we’re pretty sure fans commenting on GRRM’s livejournal have nailed it down. Here’s the clues:

From England, England hails this fellow, an ideal choice. He’s been a madman, a nut, a spud, a martian, a king, and a slaver, he’s gone up with a balloon and down with a ship. But why he is so sad when he’s stroked so many women?

Several candidates are batted about in the thread, but it sure seems to us that given the character—his being “sad” really suggests the Night’s Watch squire Dolorous Edd—we can eliminate certain of the actors, such as Bernard Hill or the esteemed Christopher Lee. Once you do that, well, no one fits better than British actor Ben Crompton.

• The post title, “Across the Atlantic Sea”, happens to be part of a lyric from Hair about Manchester—and Crompton is a Mancunian.
  • “an ideal choice”: He appeared in the TV series Ideal.
  • “a madman”: Played Mad Al in Going Postal.
  • “a nut”: Played William Nutt in The Supsicions of Mr. Whicher.
  • “a spud”: Played Spud in Midsomer Murders.
  • “a martian”: Played Martian X in Radio Mania: An Abandoned Work.
  • “a king”: Played King Mike in King Jeff.
  • “a slaver</em>: Played Hodge in The Slavery Business: How to Make a Million from Slavery.
  • “he’s gone up with a balloon”: Appeared in a short film, The Balloon.
  • “down with a ship”: Appeared in The Sinking of the Laconia.
  • “he’s stroked so many women”: Appeared in the sketch comedy Man Stroke Woman.

Can’t get more perfect than that!

Below, we have a few clips of the actor from Man Stroke Woman:

read on >>>

Visit the Site!

Oh my god, that is perfect casting!!!

He's just the guy to play the downtrodden, always negative, unintentionally hilarious Dolorous Edd

Here's a clip of him and Nick Frost in the BBC show GRRM mentioned, Man Stoke Woman. I nearly wet my pants at the end of this....

:lmao: :lmao: :rofl: :rofl:

That was great! And I agree, he's absolutely perfect. :)

I won't lie that he kinda has a look I always pictured except, i can't remember how old George made Edd to be in the books. For some reason i always felt he was in his late 40s or early 50s. Or am I way off?

Just watched the links ya that dude is perfect!!!!! watching the one about buying the haunted house all i could see was Edd.

I won't lie that he kinda has a look I always pictured except, i can't remember how old George made Edd to be in the books. For some reason i always felt he was in his late 40s or early 50s. Or am I way off?

His age isn't given, but he's a squire, which is usually a younger guy's job. Then again, he's described as having gray hair, so that's probably what you were thinking of - although if he's a younger guy, being prematurely gray would fit his character (and could also just be a reference to Eeyore).

Archived