After Limited Books, What's Best?

HappyTimes

Here goes:

Game of Thrones UK uncorrected ARC (red cover)

Game of Thrones UK first printing

Clash of Kings UK first printing

Storm of Swords UK first printing

Game of Thrones US first printing (silver foil cover, not price clipped)

Fevre Dream Lettered edition traycase from Subterranean Press

GRRM lettered edition traycase from Subterranean Press (later mass published as Dreamscapes)

There are also limited edition of much older works such as The Armageddon Rag, Songs the Dead Men Sing, the Pear shaped Man, and Portraits of His Children.

None of course approach the price and stature of the Meisha and SP numbered and lettered copies but here you go.

I'm sure others of the Brotherhood without Banners can chime in but if you have these it already makes a pretty darn good GRRM collection.

To the best of my knowledge, there has not been a limited edition version of that.

By the way, I just remembered two more:

The Pear Shaped Man. This is a very small book of one of his famous short stories. It's just that one short story though hence the small size of the book.

Also, Tuf Voyaging compilation both lettered and numbered published by Meisha now out of print.

Will post if I can think of any more.

Obviously you have your normal complement of first edition, first printing and signed versions but these are not LIMITED edition specially produced works. I only include the first 3 UK editions because of their extreme rarity and high secondary market value.

I guess I can throw in the slipcased Feast for Crows UK edition but from what I've heard the quality is really shitty so I hesitate to even tarnish this list with their presence . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to jump the thread but I just realised I didn't actually have any ballpark figure in mind: just out of curiosity, how much does a UK 1st/1st AGoT normally go for? Much less discussion of those fees than the MM/Sub Press editions (for obvious reasons, but still)! I know it's always fluctuating etc. but as I said, just a ballpark figure would be great!

I've seen the uk GoT 1st/1st on eBay many times on avg for $300-$500. Sorry Justinian, but I don't think I've ever seen it for $750. Not yet at least. They are hard to get in mint condition, but good and fine are pretty common.

I don't think the swords would be the most coveted. They benefit from being a high quality item and a very small production run, but I think the market itself is extremely niche. Of course that also often means that the collector's are willing to put a lot of money into that particular hobby.

Also, the UK 1st has pretty crazy variability, but 600 or more seems pretty typical. I actually saw one not long ago go as a buy it now for over 1,000, but I am always suspicious of such high auctions and think it might be the seller themselves trying to artificially inflate the value.

I guess that would explain the prices I've seen them at. They domtend to vary quite a bit. As for the $1000 buy it now sale, I agree, I've always been suspicious of the seller trying to increases the value of an object in that manner. So if not the swords ArtDayne, what do you think is next?

I guess that would explain the prices I've seen them at. They domtend to vary quite a bit. As for the $1000 buy it now sale, I agree, I've always been suspicious of the seller trying to increases the value of an object in that manner. So if not the swords ArtDayne, what do you think is next?

Honestly, I would have to give it some thought. This thread is massively confusing, first asking what's best, then what's coveted, and the first response automatically put me in the mindset of what other books (aside from Ice and Fire) were most sought after. In terms of value I think the swords might take it (although their high initial price means they will have to go up to astronomical prices to show a significant percentage increase in value).

edit: I don't know. It seems like the production runs on the swords are much bigger than I thought they were, meaning demand might also be higher. I guess Ice will be a good gauge to measure by if/when it sells out and if it hits eBay sales afterwards.

Archived