In defense of the Daario plotline

The Lost Lord

I don't understand all the Daario hate either ... We might not find his appearance attractive , but Dany would have seen lots of guys sporting similar fashion, and you can hardly say it's more exotic than Dothraki style.

I don't understand it, either. Dany seems to see him rather clearly. She chose him for her own reasons.

I wonder sometimes if he had been described differently (his appearance), would the character be perceived differently.

On my first read I really disliked Daario and Dany's affection to him. However, on my second read, I was actually waiting for those scenes that included him, as I agree totally with OP. IMO, he's a great character and he may not be very good in the moral sense of the word, but he does stick around and he does listen to Dany's orders. IMO, he's very trustworthy. He almost seems too trustworthy for a sellsword. Barristan remarks on this as well. I really wonder where his devotion to Dany comes from. I cannot believe it's mere attraction or wanting to be a king beside her, because he would've fled when she married Hizdahr at that point.

The Daario storyline has been a major distraction. He serves to remind us just how young and impressionable Dany still is. However, this is such a departure from and regression of what had been such a strong, confident and secure young woman. Dany has been hardened by life at such a tender age and should be well beyond such trivial pursuits. She can never marry Daario and opening her bed to such lowborn scum tarnishes her reputation and stature. GRRM has in one stroke transformed her from a strong queen into a starry eyed teenage girl, rebelling against the world by giving it up to the boy from the wrong side of the tracks.

I hope Ser Barristan sees to it that Daario never makes it out of the enemy camp alive. The sooner this hood rat is gone, the better.

Archived