Jon Snow in AFFC...he seems to be a bit of a prick now!

Mattyp

Sam has such a hard time dealing with this because it's obvious he likes Gilli.

I can't believe that people blame Jon for Master Aemon's death! He man was 102 years old, he would have died no matter where he was. Jon sending him away started the whole connection with the dragons. Sam got to spend time with him and learn a lot of things that will be useful for the future mysteries. He found out about Daenerys, got the riddle about The Sphinx..

The baby switching decision was one of the smartest things he has done. The wildlings king was nice to him so it is normal that he values his son, the prince, far more than Pervy Craster's child born of incest. Also, don't forget the Melisandre/Stannis treat. They want the blood of a kind to do something that Jon does not agree with. He has to stop them while making them think that they still got all the cards.

I canär wait to read ADWD.

• 2 weeks later...

Sam is, despite being dubiously brave in some instances (LOVED the thrashing of Dareon) a confessed coward, and may not have the ability to grasp some of the more harsh, yet over all well planned moves that others make.

Jon is a stark, and more of a stark then many of the other children, and I dont think he'll let the kid die regardless. but i guess we'll see.

• 5 weeks later...
Well, we do only see it from Sam's POV in AFfC. In ADwD, you get to see it from Jon's POV.

Agreed. My gut instinct is Jon's choices signal leadership that might rise to him sitting on the Iron Throne himself (with Dany?) but time will tell. He's already a better king than his brother Robb and he's only been at it for a few weeks.

He's sometimes nice Jon Snow when he can be but when he has to be which is now most of the time he has to be The Lord Commander who has to make tough decisions. Theres a quote i read not long ago about jon by samwell after he reveals his plan for sam/gilly etc and (i think) sam says 'sometimes there is no good choice, there is just one less worse than the other'. It's a damn hard job to be the lord commander, a right pain in the BACKside. oops caps :)

Most characters in the series generally become more dickish when not speaking in POV because you are no longer seeing them as they see themselves, but as other perceive them. It's unsurprising to me that Sam & Gillys perceptions would differ, as they probably don't have the whole story.

I'm currently assuming Jon had reasons for handling matters the way he did because there were certain things he couldn't share, for fear of blowing cover on something else. While whatever strategy he is pursuing no doubt contains risk, it's hard to imagine him becoming such a hardarse as to flat out sacrifice a child to serve a larger purpose- even if it was the least of all evils.

Archived