Completely disappointed, can't go on

Whataletdown

I'm half joking... I just read the chapter with Bran.

But really, didn't something change for you guys after that? Don't you guys feel way less invested in the Starks?

I expect Bran to get to the three eyed crow, and for the three eyed crow to peck one of Bran's eyes out.

And Arya and Sansa getting straight up tortured... forever.

I'm also kinda sad. It's gone from me really, really caring about these characters, and really pulling for them, to now having this kind of detached curiosity, like driving by a car wreck. It's still interesting, but not in the same way.

Okaaaay. I can imagine feeling like this if Dany died. I mean, given that she is my favorite character. But you, Whataletdown are just overreacting!

Do you go out of your mind and quit on everything that doesn't go your way?

I'm half joking... I just read the chapter with Bran.

But really, didn't something change for you guys after that? Don't you guys feel way less invested in the Starks?

I expect Bran to get to the three eyed crow, and for the three eyed crow to peck one of Bran's eyes out.

And Arya and Sansa getting straight up tortured... forever.

I'm also kinda sad. It's gone from me really, really caring about these characters, and really pulling for them, to now having this kind of detached curiosity, like driving by a car wreck. It's still interesting, but not in the same way.

The only thing that changed for me was the realization that truly anything is possible in this series. I like not being coddled by the writer. I like not knowing where the story is going to go as long as the twists are realistic. Real life is unexpected and this series plays that up wonderfully. It also means people get more emotionally invested in a character for better or for worse.

Daenerys slips on a banana peel and breaks her neck, killing her instantly. Martin spends the next 3 pages describing in detail her mangled body and how she defecated when she died. Oh, and then she gets a dead wolf's head sewn onto her body. Wait no, scratch that. Make it a baby dragon, since she felt really strongly about those things. Oh, and then all her friends and family are brutally murdered, go mad with despair, or kill themselves.

this is actually a great idea! :D are there any "Banana" trees in Essos btw ?

Jesus, calm the hell down and read the rest of the book moron. If you did, you would actually understand the REASONING behind GRRM's set-up. IT'S A SEVEN BOOK SERIES, get the hell over the fact that there are some characters that have to be cut down, no matter how brutally that is. There are more hidden motives in this series than any I have ever read, so there are always more than is obvious. Seriously, other characters that we all LOVE to HATE die, (not spoiling who), so finish it and trust me, it's worth it.

After Martin's so-called "Red Wedding" I just can't read any more of this book series. He has lost a loyal fan and reader and will not be receiving anymore support, financial or otherwise, from me.

I'm going to assume your entire post is meant as some elaborate joke.

But unfortunately there are a lot of people who genuinely believe the Red Wedding was a mistake from a narrative point of view.

The reality is that the entire point of GRRM series is to toy with the genre conventions and put his readers on the wrong foot.

In the old fantasy tradition, Robb would have indeed turned out to be an Aragorn-like hero who rights all wrongs, unites his people and saves the realm. Martin prefers to inject his universe with a healthy dose of realism. And the sad truth is that an idealistic young man like Robb Stark was never meant to last very long amongst the snakes and jackals that inhabit GRRM's world.

It's precisely the realization that no character is truly safe that makes his books such an exhilarating read. Well, one of the reasons anyway.

When I read the red wedding I was shocked and sad. Catelyn's death, even though i don't particularly like her, was the saddest because it was so powerfully written.

However, after seeing the Red Wedding I realized that truly anything can happen in these books. I had to take a break and was really sad, but a couple hours later I got back to it, and the last half of the book is some of the best stuff i've read in any genre. Literally every chapter from the Red Wedding onward is incredible.

Well I must say, I cannot disagree with the original poster's general feeling of discontent. Especially his dissatisfaction at the absence of direct retribution that has marked the series up to now. I too was left feeling empty when Joffrey's death was not at the hands of a Stark. I too was left frustrated that I am now supposed to feel empathy with the man who chucked Bran out a window.

I don't see the Red Wedding as a narrative mistake at all. It would be a great narrative tool to set up huge feelings of anger and the desire for bloody vengeance among readers. However, if this vengeance is not delivered, then the negative feelings experienced would indeed be entirely pointless.

I continue to read in the hope that what we are dealing with is simply a case of delayed retribution, rather than a permanent absence of retribution altogether.

Hence the great expectations I have of Arya. You've got a lot of responsibility riding on your little shoulders, girl. Else I too will probably feel like chucking my books into the fire, come Dream of Spring.

Well I must say, I cannot disagree with the original poster's general feeling of discontent. Especially his dissatisfaction at the absence of direct retribution that has marked the series up to now. I too was left feeling empty when Joffrey's death was not at the hands of a Stark. I too was left frustrated that I am now supposed to feel empathy with the man who chucked Bran out a window.

I don't see the Red Wedding as a narrative mistake at all. It would be a great narrative tool to set up huge feelings of anger and the desire for bloody vengeance among readers. However, if this vengeance is not delivered, then the negative feelings experienced would indeed be entirely pointless.

I continue to read in the hope that what we are dealing with is simply a case of delayed retribution, rather than a permanent absence of retribution altogether.

Hence the great expectations I have of Arya. You've got a lot of responsibility riding on your little shoulders, girl. Else I too will probably feel like chucking my books into the fire, come Dream of Spring.

Vengeance doesn't work out the way its supposed to. Deal with it. If The Wire was like normal cop shows, all the cops would be good and the drug dealers bad. Omar would have killed Marlo for revenge, or at least died in a crazy gun fight. Instead he got killed by an 8 year old kid while being cigarettes. Bodie should have been able to kill Chris and Snoop, or at least died by one of them, instead some random dude kills him hiding in the alley. Prop Joe should have taken out Marlo, but his own nephew betrayed him and he died. Thats what makes it a brilliant show, much like ASOIF is a brilliant series.

Roose Bolton and Tywin Lannister and Jaime Lannister are just as compelling as Ned Stark or Robb Stark, in fact I'd argue they are more interesing

Why should Joffrey have died at the hands of a Stark? What Stark was going to kill him?

Ned could have killed Joffrey as soon as he found out that he was an abomination. He didn't because of his honor and feelings about children

Lady Olenna killed him because she didn't want her granddaughter to suffer the abuse Sansa had to go through... So you would have wanted Margaery to suffer through Joffrey just so Robb or whoever could get revenge?

Littlefinger had Olenna kill Joffrey because he wanted throw off Cersei and Co. and he knew it would weaken the realm. Littlefinger is a schemer, Ned is not. That is why Ned is dead and Littlefinger is lord paramount of the trident and vale

GRRM loves grey characters. Its not a good vs. evil story (except for the others) its a story of a bunch of grey characters... Even the "good guys" are flawed, Cat is a snob who looks down on bastards and low born people, Arya is my favorite character but she is a bit of a Brat, Sansa lies all the time, Rickon is a savage who sicks his crazy wolf on people, Stannis has his brother killed, davos admits to being good and bad, tyrion is a drunk with a weakness for whores...

The concept of revenge is an important one. Cat urges the Northern lords to go for peace, she says vengeance won't bring Ned back so its useless... The people in this series driven by revenge tend to die, which is why i liken it to the wire

If you don't like gray characters or surprises you aren't going to have any joy reading this

The concept of revenge is an important one. Cat urges the Northern lords to go for peace, she says vengeance won't bring Ned back so its useless... The people in this series driven by revenge tend to die, which is why i liken it to the wire

Even the "good guys" are flawed, Cat is a snob who looks down on bastards and low born people

That is stretching the truth. Her antagonism towards bastards is limited to Jon Snow, and this is only because he is a constant reminder of Ned's infidelity to her.

If anything, she is one of the few noble people who generally treats her servants and subordinates with respect.

Archived