Frey decision in RW

lyvyathan

Did the Red Wedding happen purely because of Robb Stark's decision to abandon his marriage to the Frey - or would it have happened eventually because Walder Frey was a treacherous bugger?

The Frey always made sure he was on the winning side. So with House Tyrell on the side of the Lannisters - and the Boltons sliding over too + losing Winterfell to the Ironborn, etc.. it won't have taken Robb's faux pas to have turned Frey over to the dark side.

He was also very greedy. If Walder was certain that he could gain much more by switching sides - I wouldn't be surprised if he still went ahead and betrayed the Starks et al at some stage.

(This is in no way an attempt to excuse Robb's stupidity in marrying his one night stand)

That's about the size of it.

You can see the cogs turning for them (and Roose Bolton) in the last Arya chapter of ACoK. They wouldn't have done the Red Wedding, which comes directly from Robb's stupidity and Walder's wounded pride but Robb's cause is all but lost after Winterfell and the Blackwater.

There are a lot of things that could have stopped the RW. One was Robb's truth in Theon being completely misplaced, if he had sent someone else to the Iron islands he would not have lost Winterfell, and Bran and Rickon wouldn't have 'died', causing him to sleep with Jeyne. But I imagine Walder would have tried to avoid betraying him had he not slept with Jeyne. Robb had charmed a lot of the Fray's, and they would likely not have betrayed him as easily as Walder did.

Did the Red Wedding happen purely because of Robb Stark's decision to abandon his marriage to the Frey - or would it have happened eventually because Walder Frey was a treacherous bugger?

The Frey always made sure he was on the winning side. So with House Tyrell on the side of the Lannisters - and the Boltons sliding over too + losing Winterfell to the Ironborn, etc.. it won't have taken Robb's faux pas to have turned Frey over to the dark side.

He was also very greedy. If Walder was certain that he could gain much more by switching sides - I wouldn't be surprised if he still went ahead and betrayed the Starks et al at some stage.

(This is in no way an attempt to excuse Robb's stupidity in marrying his one night stand)

I think it was a combination of both. I think losing the north was the beginning of Robb's demise. However, perhaps if he had not married Jeyne, the betrayal would not have been so gruesome and horrific. Perhaps they might not have murdered him or done it differently. I found the RW to be really barbaric and the way Walder Frey was enjoying it and watching with his greedy eyes just made it more horrific to me.

Frey backed Robb from the beginning, when it looked like he had no real hope of winning. It's hard to reconcile that with the view of Frey as just being an opportunistic villain. I mean, obviously he is, but there had to be more there.

My guess is that Tywin Lannister was behind RW. He just knew how to use Walder Freys greed. He probably promised them something (Riverrun, Seagard), to betray Robb Stark. So the idea probably came from Tywin Lannister, but the execution itself was something that only old bugger Walder would have organized.

"some wars are won with swords others with quills and ravens"

Aki has it down. Tywin OK-ed the Red Wedding, or rather promised Walder Frey he'd be accepted back into the King's Peace, and probably that they'd get Riverrun too. For this to happen, Frey was to kill Robb Stark. The how and when was a matter for Walder Frey, Black Walder and Roose Bolton.

• 3 weeks later...

I though it was fairly obvious that Tywin was partly, if not mostly behind the Red Wedding. At first he talks about some wars being won with pen and paper or something to that nature. Tyrion guesses it in one of his conversations with Tywin right after the news of the RW reaches Kings Landing. I'm sure it wasn't Tywin's idea, he just supported getting rid of Robb

Archived