Seriously!

Rob the God

I just love this book

can't understand why so many people are mislinking it

it's not as good as Got or SoS but on the same level in my opinion.

The stroy is just awesome over the whole book

except for some brienne chapter in the beginning every chapter hooks you and i love

the "Alaine", Cersei, Jaime and Dorne Chapters

Jaime has grown into my probably favoritve character by now

Overall i think FfC is an aweseome book

because it hooks you with every chapter

I thought ACOK had slow pacing. This one has a much faster one than ACOK. I don't honestly remember much of that book. I can understand people perhaps not liking this book as much as ASOS because the pacing is so much quieter but I think if this book had had that same pacing, it would have been way too much and over the top. I'm personally enjoying this book quite a bit and probably like it more than a GOT.

I've said this a few times already, but i think Jaime's character arc is the best part of the book. We have been seeing a change in Jaime since ASoS but this really changes how we all look at Jaime Lannister. In Game of Thrones we could easily consider him the main villain, but now you want to love him even knowing what he's done.

I agree with Ice Crow. Jaime's character arc is fascinating. One of the best things about GRRM's writing in this series is his character growth and change. At this point in the story, none of the main characters is the same as he was in the beginning. I'm really liking this book, just as much as the ones which were action-packed. The character development is very important, and satisfying.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree.

I also can't understand the bad rep the book gets from some fans. It has really engrossing chapters. Sure, It has its highs and lows but overall an excellent read and it compliments the other books in the series nicely, and I dare to say ADWD is not a better book (ADWD feels a better book because it's newer and more fans are into the series now that the show is out).

can't understand why so many people are mislinking it

It is just that Cercei is just not as interesting a character as the rest. And I was begging for some Jon, Tyrion and Bran plus Daenerys, Dorne characters and ironmen are simply not as fascinating as the rest.

I liked A Feast for the Crows mainly because of Jamie, I do like it that he finally saw the light and is coming out of his not so real life. I also find it very interesting that he was an out and out baddie (went far enough to attempt to kill a child) but now he has a chance of redemption and losing that hand I think was the best thing that happened to him.

I liked Brienne too (and hope that she survives through some sort of a miracle but I sadly don't think so)

Totally agree.

I also can't understand the bad rep the book gets from some fans. It has really engrossing chapters. Sure, It has its highs and lows but overall an excellent read and it compliments the other books in the series nicely, and I dare to say ADWD is not a better book (ADWD feels a better book because it's newer and more fans are into the series now that the show is out).

I think because the tone of the book is so different from ASOS. ASOS is pretty much non-stop action. This is a departure from that. That and we get taken to new places with new characters and have to figure out how they will factor in somehow. That and I think people can't stand to be without Tyrion, Dany, and Jon chapters.

I've read interviews with GRRM where he said that he likes "world building". Although not to the extend as JRR Tolkien has done it. GRRM didn't invent languages, and he claimed he forgot a lot of the stuff he has written earlier. But he does seem to enjoy telling us about more than just the main plot and the main character(s).

As vindictus wrote, AFFC is a lot about the aftermath after the war. From the first 3 books, we might not pick up how devastating the war was for the common people. When you watch the TV-series, the war basically consists of a few conversations after the big battles. But in AFFC we read about the devastation that is everywhere. How cruel war is. What bastards all soldiers are.

And we also read about the Fall. Autumn. Winter is coming. But in the first 3 books, that isn't really apparent. In AFFC we get reminded all the time that the sun has gone. It's always raining. Trees are dropping their leaves. No more crops. Not only winter is coming, but an upcoming famine is very likely too. (As explained by Doran Martel too).

For me, AFFC is really the silence before the storm. The big sign that winter is truly coming.

I feel the same! Before starting on the book, I've read some bad reviews for it (as compared to the first three books) and they sort of lowered my expectations for it. But I was pleasantly surprised, it turned out to be really good book, possibly even my favourite out of the four.

• 4 weeks later...
It is just that Cercei is just not as interesting a character as the rest.
Have to disagree. She so very wicked and power hungry that when things don't go her way I find myself laughing out loud.

In fact, my favorite chapter of the book was ***FFC SPOILER*** Tywin's funeral when Cersei is looking around and making snide judgements about everyone around her...and then she gets enraged when everyone starts "sniffing" from the smell.

It was written so brilliantly, I actually felt like I was there.

I am only a few chapters in with ADWD and looking back AFFC was and will be essential. I have no idea what is to come but the politics at play will all slot together in some cases and collide in others. There were boring bits as many have said, but I enjoyed most chapters & most characters.

There wasn't battle, and it stalled a lot of the quick progression that the other books made. I liked it too after I finished it. It just took so long to hit the pace of the other books. The Dorne chapters were interesting, but slow. The ironborn chapters were more about their culture and the introduction of Balon's brothers. Cersei just continually screws herself and the realm. You never had that hero. That's why so many people hated it. And Brienne. Good god, Brienne. I didn't dislike her, but her chapters were so excessive. I understand that GRRM wanted to emphasize the commoner's opinion of the war, but it was tedious.

Basically, Feast was about politics completely. Up until Tywin's death, there was always war, with the exception of the ominous build-up ("Winter Is Coming").

Dance switches back to war.

At this point in the story, none of the main characters is the same as he was in the beginning.

Cersei, that bitch can't change.

Archived