A question regarding starting new threads.

Fredward

The one other board I frequent it is utter taboo to create a thread that already deals with the topic at hand but it's fine to resurrect an old thread if you have something new to add. So my question is; which one is the "worst" offense here? Is it preferable to resurrect an old thread or start a new thread about the same subject?

Also, on a unrelated note, does this forum support spell checking? I think my english is pretty good but it's not my first language and I do make spelling mistakes (don't even mention grammar) and yeah, spell checking would be handy.

Thanks in advance. (where did I hear that was passive aggresive? :P )

I have no idea about the spell checker - looking at some random posts, I'll hazard a guess there isn't one - and we prefer the resurrection or sometimes serious necromancy of old threads to having six new threads on the same topic. Thank you for asking. :)

Hi Fred,

Further to Angalin's post above, depending on how old the existing thread is, it's OK to start new threads on similar topics. If there has been a fairly recent thread on a similar topic it may get merged. If a thread has disappeared, it's best to look for a similar topic with a tag that says 'merged thread' or something like that.

There are two places where we will take issue with duplicate threads, though. Firstly, in the Literature forum, with recommendation threads - please search for pre-existing ones or look at the stickied threads. Secondly, in the ADwD forum. There, we are still mod approving new threads and the surest way to get your thread killed is to duplicate another topic.

Finally, the search function here is pretty effective. Using the google site searcher is a sure way to find a thread on a specific topic, as long as you use sufficient terms to pin it down.

Cheers :)

Thanks for the answers guys. :)

Browsers nowadays have pretty efficient spell-checkers available, built in or as plugins. It doesn't depend on the forum.

Yeah I know but my Firefox spell checker doesn't work on the forum. Uh, scratch that, the language just wasn't set, my bad. :blush:

Archived