When did Jon Snow become your favorite character?

He's getting more and more interesting. I really like him as LC, very deliberate and thoughtful. I love his scenes with Stannis. They really bring out the best of each other. Funny how the two most capable leaders in all Westeros are struggling in the North.

He's getting more and more interesting. I really like him as LC, very deliberate and thoughtful. I love his scenes with Stannis. They really bring out the best of each other. Funny how the two most capable leaders in all Westeros are struggling in the North.

Three most capable leaders of Westeros, I would count Mance too.

Three most capable leaders of Westeros, I would count Mance too.

Very true. How could I forget? All three have an intriguing dynamic going on between them. And sadly, all three will probably be dead by the end of the series.

I can understand why people don't like him. He starts out an angsty emo teenager, the kind which floods the tv screens in crappy series for decades now. And when he finally goes to the real action you don't see him killing stuff by the dozens either. As LC he's becoming a grownup and starting to remind people of the Ned in terms of 'dullness' and 'humorlousness'. Plus people fear he's bloody Luke Skywalker.

Personally I read all through that and appreciated that Martin wasn't trying to write down your typical Luke Skywalker who ends up destroying the Dark Side (though technically Anakin did but that's another matter).

If he was able to cut through hordes of stuff without a scratch people would've really rolled their eyes. If he really had a boisterous witty humor and extrovert personality, people would've rolled their eyes.

Martin wrote Jon as an uncertain individual (yes que in Ygritte's catchphrase) struggeling to find the courage and the wisdom to become the leader he dreamed up about as a kid. I also like he's basically Eddard 2.0 but with improved features, like willing to see shades of grey, adapting and comprimising. And both Eddard and he have a sense of humor and wit, which I personally like.

So yeah I was a fan from him at the start. Yes he was an angsty emo teen we've seen a dozen times over but after the compulsory feeling sorry for him, once he finds the direwolves and later the Wall he really improved. Plus...he's where the Others and the Wildlings are, aka where the action is (compared to Dany's Idiot Abroad escapades thousends of miles away). How can you not like that?

And one interesting note - I have read in the forums that it is widely believed that Ned NEVER referred to Jon as his son. But in the same direwolf finding, Robb and Jon have found the puppies. Jon yells, "Father, Bran, come quickly, see what Robb has found." Ned, who is with Bran, Theon, and Jory, says, "Come, let us see what michief my SONS have rooted out now." (page 14)

In his internal monologue,he never thinks of Jon as his son :)

First post!

I never really thought about favorite characters, but now that I've come across this topic, it seems to me that it is actually Jon Snow, and always has been. Well, at least since he joned the Nights Watch.

The events around the Wall have been the most interesting to me, especially the organization of the NW and the battles it's been fighting. And in the midst of it all, Jon Snow, with doubts about his heritage and parentage, internal conflict, and the sense of honor he has to display as a man of the NW, but also a son of his father Eddard Stark (well, that's what he believes).

Archived